General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Warpspeed 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2001, 09:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WarpSpeed 3" SC Y pipe

Dan and I are always considering requests for different exhaust configs, the following are several photo's of our prototype 3" Y pipe for the supercharged gen 4.

We are sending it out today to one of the members to try out for a couple of weeks, he will be checking clearances and fitment as well as noise level and level of performance.

We are also sending a modified catalytic converter which will bolt up to the 3 bolt header type flange which is required for the 3" pipe size. This has never yet been tried on a car so we are not sure how the clearance issue will work due to the larger diameter of the flex section.
So if it fits as we think it will we feel the larger size will give the flow needed to run those higher boost pressures involved with the supercharged system.

We will keep you updated. If everything fits well we will probably need another member to try it out before we actually run some production pipes. It is more expensive than our 2.5" due to the cost of the flex and we have yet to price it, the pipe in the photo is an aluminized steel version. The production models will probably be stainless to handle the higher heat better.

Take a look at the following links:

http://bmfjeep.tripod.com/ebay/super1a.JPG
http://bmfjeep.tripod.com/ebay/super2a.JPG
http://bmfjeep.tripod.com/ebay/super3a.JPG
http://bmfjeep.tripod.com/ebay/super4a.JPG

Dallas & Dan WarpSpeed Performance
Old 03-03-2001, 02:12 PM

Question

Would there be any point in bolting up the 3" Y pipe to an N/A max? I.E. would a 3" pipe yield more power than your 2.5"?

I don't think it would (although I believe an s/c'd max certainly would), but might as well make sure.
Old 03-03-2001, 02:25 PM

Re: Question

Originally posted by La Jolla Max
Would there be any point in bolting up the 3" Y pipe to an N/A max? I.E. would a 3" pipe yield more power than your 2.5"?
Not unless you've got some serious work done to it..
Old 03-03-2001, 02:37 PM

hmmmmmm.............

I would not think it would benefit the normally aspirated Maxima especially with the rest of the system stock, but we would no doubt be open to trying on a non SC car to see what benefits might occur.

The cat would have to be replaced due to the 3 bolt 3" flange set up just to get it installed, as well I am not sure how it will affect the front hanger on the cat which attaches through the stock 2 bolt flange. We will have to address that if we do these in quantities.

Dallas
Old 03-03-2001, 04:59 PM

Make sure to keep us updated,

I am very interested in the 3' Y-Pipe for my SC I30.
Thanks and GOOD WORK!
Old 03-03-2001, 07:09 PM

BTW, you guys aren't gonna gain **** by keeping the 2 inch primaries or whatever, opening it up to 3 inches, then cramming it all back down to a 2.5 cat back. Just a little heads up..
Old 03-04-2001, 10:30 AM

Well considering the openings from the exhaust manifold to the 2" pipes are less than 2" we have stayed with a 2" for the downpipe portion of the Y pipes.

The gen4 car we are trying the pipe on has a Greddy catback so it should handle it better than stock. I agree, if everything works as planned a 3" for the SC would be better. I would suspect you would then find it available as a complete 3" system on our website. Of course we already have a 3" cat so no problem there and we have already run a 2.5" catback B pipe although we have chosen not to offer it yet until we have a better muffler to go with it. We have a couple of other projects for the gen 4 in process. The gen4 CAI will be available shortly for about $160 or less.

Dallas
Old 03-04-2001, 01:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

dallas, what's it gonna take to get warpspeed to start looking into projector headlights? i bet we could get the orders together.
Old 03-04-2001, 02:40 PM

I will look into it. Maybe they have some for my Jeep or Dodge Ram as well.

Dallas
Old 03-05-2001, 02:23 PM

If you need help prototyping pipes for a SC'ed Maxima let me know.

I am close to a dyno shop that installed my SC for me. I am sure they would be happy to do the install and testing.

Let me know
Old 03-05-2001, 03:27 PM

hmm... i think you need a nitrous guy(me) to test your 3" pipe. from my experience, a 2.5" aluminized y-pipe cracked when i was on the bottle due to the significant increase in pressure. however, now i have a stainless steel version and it hasn't cracked. but i'd really like to see how much of increase there is between 2.5" and 3".
Old 03-05-2001, 08:37 PM

If you two volunteers would send me an email with phone number, after we are sure there is no fitment problem we will need it installed on several different cars to see how it performs. The main thing we want is to make sure it fits and performs before we make another production jig, if it benefits the nitrous cars as well that would be good. The ability to produce in quantities helps keep our prices down and yours as well.

Dallas
Old 03-05-2001, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by CKNY
dallas, what's it gonna take to get warpspeed to start looking into projector headlights? i bet we could get the orders together.
i think that everybody here knows the worst thing about maximas is the headlights. if you sold these then I think every one of us would buy them...
Old 03-05-2001, 08:53 PM

I spent three hours yesterday looking at headlights, so far the only lead is a place in the UK and another in France. The way it looks although everyone seems to want HID no one reccomends using the HID projection setup with the stock lenses. I am going to grab a couple of headlight fixtures from a couple of wrecks and take a look. We do have a access to a guy that says he can make anything out of plastic, we'll see what he says. Problem is going to be no DOT approval as they were never sold stock so if it is possible as with the others like them they can only be used off road or for show.

Dallas
Old 03-05-2001, 08:57 PM

cool to know you are really trying... I wouldn't worry about DOT approval as many mods are illegal but no copy would ever know the difference... I've had my green headlights in for about 4 months and never been pulled over yet:
Old 03-06-2001, 06:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dallas, Thanks for checking up on them. Don't worry about DOT approved. It's more than worth it for nice projector headlamps. Here's what I was talking about kinda.

These hella lamps change out the housing and convert it into 2 projector lamps (for the focus).