General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

question for all..please read....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 08:32 AM

question for all..please read....

after driving for a little while, i get out of the car and once i touch my door to close it, i get this electric static kinda shock..you know when you rub your feet across the rug and touch something, you get that static shock..

im assuming this only started to happen when i relocated my battery in the trunk..just hooked up a positive cable and grounded the negative cable...kit was from summit...

should i be worried about anything...i have no problems with the car..could it be the clothes i wear..i have leather seats..oh yea i have a 3rd gen if that helps.
anyone has had this happen to them???
Old 01-07-2004, 08:56 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by MaXtUneD
after driving for a little while, i get out of the car and once i touch my door to close it, i get this electric static kinda shock..you know when you rub your feet across the rug and touch something, you get that static shock..

im assuming this only started to happen when i relocated my battery in the trunk..just hooked up a positive cable and grounded the negative cable...kit was from summit...

should i be worried about anything...i have no problems with the car..could it be the clothes i wear..i have leather seats..oh yea i have a 3rd gen if that helps.
did you get new tires?
understand WHY u get the static charge may help you realize that it's more you/weather than your car.

keep a static spray around and you should be ok. static guard i think it's called.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by MaXtUneD

her try this CLICKY
Old 01-07-2004, 03:28 PM

It happens to me in the Wintertime. I get out of my car to close the door, and then ZAP! Sometimes I don't even have to touch the door. I've had about a 1/4 inch spark from my finger to the metal. Hurts like crazy. I chalk it up to dry weather.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:36 PM

always happens to me when i drive a car with cloth interior.

just make sure you ground yourself before you go to pump gas
Old 01-07-2004, 07:07 PM

I get this too, really bad ones too The way I get around it is by holding the outside door pillar while still sitting in the car, then step out of the car while still holding the pillar. Don't get any shocks when I do that
Old 01-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The easiest thing to do inside your car or when entering your house (I get these too because it's winter) is to just hang onto your key and touch it to the door **** or the car someplace (metal) before you go. That way the current goes through the key and arcs there instead of at your finger tip.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:18 PM

not in my maxima(leather), but it happens when I don't ground myself in my SE-R
Old 01-07-2004, 07:44 PM
I miss the .org!

When I 1st got my '02 summer of '02, it happened all the time when getting out of the car. Now that I think about it, ever since I got leather it hasn't happened too much...
Old 01-07-2004, 11:52 PM

That happened to me, it's normal since the tires do generate static load...also if you have cloth interior it build static. Thank god when I'm a the gas station I touch the metal before i start gasing up otherwise an explosion would have been ugly.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:32 PM

I just saw a show on the Discovery Channel about this. Some scientists proved that the myth about cell phones causing explosions at the pumps is false. They figured out that it is from static electricity causing a spark that ignites the fuel. They said women are 8 times more likely to have this happen because they frequently get in and out of their cars while pumping gas
Old 01-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by CullenJ76
I just saw a show on the Discovery Channel about this. Some scientists proved that the myth about cell phones causing explosions at the pumps is false. They figured out that it is from static electricity causing a spark that ignites the fuel. They said women are 8 times more likely to have this happen because they frequently get in and out of their cars while pumping gas
Now that would be some scary @$$ ****
Old 01-08-2004, 04:57 PM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

happens at car shows with carpet. its a static thing, not a car/electrical thing. lol, myth busters? they proved it was total bs about cell phones, but static is a problem
Old 01-08-2004, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by CullenJ76
Mythbusters! Cool show...