General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Minor accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 12:09 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Minor accident

I ran into a curb a few days ago, and broke a chunk of my wheel off, sucks.

Anyhoo, I replaced a broken hub, bent control arm on the passenger side. I took the car to get it aligned today, and they can't align it, they think something else is bent. What else should I replace on the passenger side?
Old 01-12-2004, 12:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did they replace the upper part of the control arm as well or just the bottom? Tie rod? And I take it you're not using the same wheel you hit right?
-Cyrus
Old 01-12-2004, 01:07 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Originally Posted by Vyrus
Did they replace the upper part of the control arm as well or just the bottom? Tie rod? And I take it you're not using the same wheel you hit right?
-Cyrus
replaced the lower control arm; its a different wheel that i'm on now and it could be the tie rod, is there any way to tell?
Old 01-12-2004, 01:36 PM

put the car up on a lift, grab wheel at 9 and 3 position, try and shake it back and forth (9 to 3 not 12 to 6).
Old 01-12-2004, 04:13 PM

re:

Originally Posted by seximagtr
I ran into a curb a few days ago, and broke a chunk of my wheel off, sucks.

Anyhoo, I replaced a broken hub, bent control arm on the passenger side. I took the car to get it aligned today, and they can't align it, they think something else is bent. What else should I replace on the passenger side?

I have a the same problem , after spining out of control on expressway
and damaging front passenger side - body shop had replaced the control arm,
hub , wheel bearing , tie rod and steering nuckle - well back than I had Sprints on and they did an alignment and "suposelly everything was within specs "

now I'm on stock SE springs and recently i had the car aligned by Nissan dealership , the alignment tech told me that he wasn't able to bring the camber and Caster back to factory specs ( the factory specs are: -1* 00' to 0*30' for camber and 2* 00' to 3* 30' for caster ) and I'm at 1*00' for camber and 3*11 for caster

I went back to the body shop with the alignment spec print-out and they told
me that they won't do anything because their aligment was within spec.

Right now my car drives "ok" it tracks straight but it is a constant battle to keep it going in the straight line. I will get some sticky tires in summer and hopefully those will help a bit .

back to your problem - check your tie rod - mostlikely it is bent.
good alignment tech will be able to pin-point the bent part.
good luck and post any updates.

Nick
Old 01-13-2004, 11:04 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
put the car up on a lift, grab wheel at 9 and 3 position, try and shake it back and forth (9 to 3 not 12 to 6).
If there is play, then the control arm bushings are wacked and/or the ball joint is screwy.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:43 AM

How fast were you going? You could have bent an axle or even the frame.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:34 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

If you bent a control arm and hub your strut should have been replaced as well. It's probably also slightly bent.

Nick, you most likely have the same problem. If your strut is bent slightly at the base, your camber and caster will never be correct.

When a car comes into our shop, hit in the wheel we always replace the control arm, hub, bearing and strut. Those are three key items that keep your car's alignment, especially camber and caster within spec.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
If you bent a control arm and hub your strut should have been replaced as well. It's probably also slightly bent.

Nick, you most likely have the same problem. If your strut is bent slightly at the base, your camber and caster will never be correct.

When a car comes into our shop, hit in the wheel we always replace the control arm, hub, bearing and strut. Those are three key items that keep your car's alignment, especially camber and caster within spec.

spindle and strut may have been damaged
Old 01-14-2004, 03:44 PM

I feel you on this three years a go when I just got the car I took a wrong turn and ate a curb for lunch.
Dealer said it was okay, but since then keeping aligned properly has been rough. But everytime it's "ok" "Within Spec" gerrrrrrr