General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

GTP vs Max(discussion not race) and 3.5L

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2001, 05:35 AM

Originally posted by mAdD MAX
fivelitrekiller: where are the tracks in toronto? I've never heard of a drag-racing track in TO!

I've heard of one quarter mile strip somewhere in TO...but I've never been to it! I go to Cayuga if I want to watch, or race my car. It's not too far away and they get some pretty good cars there.

cheers,

five
Old 03-06-2001, 05:46 AM
tlauro, PDQ GP

Rims and Exhuast

fivelitrekiller

nice rims! lots of GP's with those too. with I could part with the $$ to get them. really sets your black car off nice.

like the exhaust too. couple of cannons pointing at the car behind

tim

Old 03-06-2001, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Re: Rims and Exhuast

I hope the few negative commentary has not given you a bad impression of the group as Mike had obtained in the past.. hopefully un-basis comments from others such as Keven will influence you to stay, share, and educate and in some lights also be educated...

Originally posted by tlauro, PDQ GP
fivelitrekiller

nice rims! lots of GP's with those too. with I could part with the $$ to get them. really sets your black car off nice.

tim
Old 03-06-2001, 06:21 AM

Re: Rims and Exhuast

Originally posted by tlauro, PDQ GP
fivelitrekiller

tim
Thanks a lot buddy, and a couple of cannons is right! The main reason why I doubt such a low quarter mile number(14.2) is because of all the GTP's I've seen run, or run against, they're pulling lowing 15's. And even the magazines are posting numbers close to the 15 second mark. To shave an extra second or close to it, off the majority of cars, is a real quest...and to do it stock just seems unlikely.

Just my opinion, so no worries.

five
Old 03-06-2001, 07:11 AM
tlauro, PDQ GP

Re: Re: Rims and Exhuast

Originally posted by SprintMax
I hope the few negative commentary has not given you a bad impression of the group as Mike had obtained in the past..
not at all. heck, get even just two of us from each group together and they'll be mud slung sometimes. taking on the world isn't my game. I'll reply if I have the time, but overall to each his/her own.

hopefully un-basis comments from others such as Keven will influence you to stay, share, and educate and in some lights also be educated...
oh yeah. I like the cars, the people so far and the group. my new perspective on a new ride is the TL-Type S Sedan, Maxima and the GTP again.

Don't know yet in what order but that's a little further into the future. They can all be made to go fast though.

Take care.

tim

Old 03-06-2001, 08:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My friend has a GTP and they are fast. I like how they seem to throw you back in your seat more. We've never raced...hmm maybe we should.
One of the things that I like better about my maxima, the interior seems more solidly built. Driving in his car you can hear things rattling and it seems noisier at higher speeds. Close the door in the maxima and all you hear is a single noise, whereas in my friends GTP I close the door and I hear stuff rattling in the door and interior (might just be his car). It just seems that the maxima is a better built car, just like a BMW is a better built car than the maxima (doesn't mean it's faster, just built more solid).

Just my share of the discussion. As for the GTP owner here... Welcome to Maxima.org. I already like you better than some of the people here (no names).
Old 03-06-2001, 08:52 AM

See my post on this thread vic: https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...4&pagenumber=2

(IMO) I like the exterior of a GTP better, but the interior of a maxima wins by all means; I'm surprised you didn't like it.

Also, does GTP have any plans of making it rwd and with a stick (although not much of a difference)?? I think that car would be a lot better if it had that.

I've read a couple people comment on how a GTP is made the typical american way, but so is the maxima. Both of the cars are made for straight away acceleration (basic design), neither car can handle well around corners when compared to a vehicle like an intergra gs-r.

A maxima to me seems to be more family & luxury orientented than a GTP, but as for the 'typical american design'; both of them follow it.

I don't get why everything has to be about racing though, we're talking about a couple blinks of an eye here at most. Personally if I was looking for speed I wouldn't of bought a 4 door luxury sedan, or automatic gtp; but rather a formula by pontianc. Those cars modded are unbelievable.

-Nate

Originally posted by Vic
Wider IS better baby! =)
but nissan's designer is on drugs or something because the model's are getting stranger and stranger...
PEACE
Vic
Old 03-06-2001, 09:34 AM
tlauro, PDQ GP

Originally posted by breaux124
Close the door in the maxima and all you hear is a single noise, whereas in my friends GTP I close the door and I hear stuff rattling in the door and interior (might just be his car). It just seems that the maxima is a better built car, just like a BMW is a better built car than the maxima (doesn't mean it's faster, just built more solid).
I know what you mean. Most imports are put together a little more polished so to speak. We had a Toyota though that drove me nuts with the creaks from where the plastic console joined up. About two tubes of silicon later it was fine

My GTP is pretty solid though. Outside a rattle that I have now and then during freeway runs around the passenger wiper area. Don't hear it too much as the Bose is usually cranking.

Just my share of the discussion. As for the GTP owner here... Welcome to Maxima.org. I already like you better than some of the people here (no names).
even if the reference isn't directed at me...thanks. learning a lot.

tim

Old 03-06-2001, 09:50 AM
tlauro, PDQ GP

Originally posted by nforg
Also, does GTP have any plans of making it rwd and with a stick (although not much of a difference)?? I think that car would be a lot better if it had that.
no one is for sure, but the GP will stay FWD V6 as the Bonny is going RWD and V8 in the next revision....probably in line with competing with the new RWD maxima that I've heard coming in a few years.

I've read a couple people comment on how a GTP is made the typical american way, but so is the maxima. Both of the cars are made for straight away acceleration (basic design), neither car can handle well around corners when compared to a vehicle like an intergra gs-r.

A maxima to me seems to be more family & luxury orientented than a GTP, but as for the 'typical american design'; both of them follow it..
I agree. Pontiac has an 'in your face' design where some love it and other GM buyers go with Buick or Olds. We chose our Alero and added some mods to it as the Grand Am was not to my wifes liking. the GS Buick is a bit more subdued and 'polished' like the Max, but that's just my thoughts.

tim
Wifes Alero 'GT'

Old 03-06-2001, 10:03 AM
tlauro, PDQ GP

GP Pics

so I'm pushing this board to the GP side a little more, but what the heck. we have some good talk going on styles and market fits and I thought these pics a bit appropriate at showing some "in your face" styles of GP Design. Some like them and others....we'll you all drive Maximas

These are some of our members cars that I featured in a Photo section on my site. Which is in need of revision I know.

Rick Padon's 1997 GTX

Adam Garrett 1999 GTX Sedan

I Forget who owns the F1, 1997 Though

Last One...I promise
I Forget who owns the F1, 1997 Though

Old 03-06-2001, 10:26 AM

ok, for all who don't believe the 14.2, here it is:
http://http://albums.photopoint.com/...3296&a=9995917

it has pics from before and after the "disagreement" with the GP SE and it also has his best ET and best MPH timeslips along with his NHRA competition card proving that G300 is indeed his number.

i don't have many squeaks or rattles in my GTP or any at all, but all i gotta say is that there's a huge difference in the ride between a GTP and a Camry is totally different. Camry's are very very smooth. I mean, i couldn't beleive they were so smooth. Interior wise, I like the GTP's because its quite busy. There are a lot of buttons and stuff, but the material used is very cheap plastic. I also don't like how its straight down vertical, it doesn't blend in with the gearshift...The Camry's interior was just too plain eventhough it was the top of the line fully equipped except for the leather. I mean, there's nothing really at all exciting bout it, very plain but very smooth. Maxima? i've never been in. is it any smoother than the Camry?
Old 03-06-2001, 12:14 PM
Administrator

i can't believe it page not found ...
Originally posted by !GTP!
ok, for all who don't believe the 14.2, here it is:
http://http://albums.photopoint.com/...3296&a=9995917

it has pics from before and after the "disagreement" with the GP SE and it also has his best ET and best MPH timeslips along with his NHRA competition card proving that G300 is indeed his number.

i don't have many squeaks or rattles in my GTP or any at all, but all i gotta say is that there's a huge difference in the ride between a GTP and a Camry is totally different. Camry's are very very smooth. I mean, i couldn't beleive they were so smooth. Interior wise, I like the GTP's because its quite busy. There are a lot of buttons and stuff, but the material used is very cheap plastic. I also don't like how its straight down vertical, it doesn't blend in with the gearshift...The Camry's interior was just too plain eventhough it was the top of the line fully equipped except for the leather. I mean, there's nothing really at all exciting bout it, very plain but very smooth. Maxima? i've never been in. is it any smoother than the Camry?
Old 03-06-2001, 12:17 PM

hehehe, sorry:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...3296&a=9995917

Old 03-06-2001, 12:19 PM

Actually look at the URL, there are two http://
Just delete one and you'll find the page.

Yeah that proves that he got that time, but it doesn't prove that he doesn't have any mods, besides how do you get better than a .500 reaction time? Just questions, not a flame.
Old 03-06-2001, 12:29 PM

Yeah i know, you can't tell if he has mods or not, but you just gotta trust some people. He did tell me that he only had the cupholder and the tint on during the 14.2 and that before the crash, he had only added an STB. His dad had an accident with a 2001 Grand Prix SE something bout going up a hill and the GP being parked there or something...

look, u guys gotta let us brag bout our 0.1 or 0.2 secs faster than you guys. i mean, next year you guys are gonna be much faster. don't u feel sorry for us? jk hehehe
Old 03-06-2001, 12:35 PM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

Originally posted by !GTP!
hehehe, sorry:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...3296&a=9995917

Maybe I don't know about American cars much but those photos show a Buick Regal GS, not a GTP. Are u sure you provided the right link?
Old 03-06-2001, 12:40 PM

Yeah, its a buick Regal GS, someone over here already mentioned it. Its the exact same car as the grand prix, but the exterior in my opinion was traded for the interior, but they're just as fast and everything...
Old 03-06-2001, 01:18 PM

"look, u guys gotta let us brag bout our 0.1 or 0.2 secs faster than you guys."

LOL, it's called a lack of respect and too much misinformed information.
Anyways, I'm having fun watching all of these irrelevant posts so keep it going and make my day go by even faster!

cheers,

five
Old 03-06-2001, 02:42 PM

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, I didn't see it when I glanced through everything, but more then likely the Maxima will lose the 5 spd with the next engine. . . I really haven't heard anything about them making it RWD and in a FWD form, designing a gearbox that would work would probably be more trouble than the design team is willing to put up with seeing as how the not too many of the cars are made with the 5 spd to begin with. It would be nice if they did make it RWD though. . .