General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

place racing mounts just put on.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Father of the 00 VI

place racing mounts just put on.

I have to say from all the negative comments about the vibration ,I waited because i feared earthquake like vibration. But as i started the car it had a deeper throatier sound and i never heard anyone say this ,my car exhaust actually has a healthier rythm?! And it revs ALOT smoother .Also axle hop is nonexstent even on wet pavement. The car seems to have more power in first and second now, because of the lack of engine movement.
And now the bad it does vibrate below 800-850rpm. But Im so pleased with the good that this is very minor ,compared to what it offers.
Once i get the cams i will set the idle at 850-900rpm and then it will all be good. But even if the cams weren't getting done i would probably leave it because it doesnt bother me. But keep in mind these were installed when it was atleast -1 degree F and probably in warmer weather they would be fine.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so the vibration is not that bad?
Old 01-16-2004, 08:42 PM

how i actualy want to get them, thanx for the info.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:26 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by krismax
Once i get the cams i will set the idle at 850-900rpm and then it will all be good. But even if the cams weren't getting done i would probably leave it because it doesnt bother me.
I spoke with Iron Lord and he said the cams themselves cause vibration. Ever sat on a Harley or sat in a Stang with a loping engine? They vibrate quite a bit in the lower rpms. That lope you hear is also felt.

Dave
Old 01-17-2004, 12:34 AM
Hooooooonda.....

You mean Iron Lung Dave?
Old 01-17-2004, 07:03 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by spanishrice
so the vibration is not that bad?
The only vibration felt is below about 800rpm , then after its complete smoothness.
The only way i wouldnt get the cams if the vibration was alot worse than the mounts and went to 2500-3000rpm.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Father of the 00 VI

After driving longer today i noticed a few other things . My car seems to leen less in turns, and if you tap the gas in any gear while in drive the shifter does not move. My shifter use to torque alot .
Iv'e also let it get to full operating temp and the vibration is almost gone.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:19 PM

I remember the first time I fired mine up after installing the mounts. That rumble feeling was awesome.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:41 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

i wish these weren't so expensive i can't justify spending that much on them
Old 01-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by nismos14
Then fill your mounts with polyurethane, that's always a cheaper alternative. The one thing you VQ guys have in your favor is a relatively smooth idling engine. Besies quicker revs I guess that short piston stroke acounts for something. I have a auto VE and when I filled all four of my mounts (2 eng, 2 tranny) the vibration was unbearable. Even though the throttle response with the filled mounts was to die for, I had to settle with re-installing the two rubber OEM tranny mounts and keeping the filled engine mounts. For me, the two filled and two OEM rubber mounts is a nice compromise between a little better throttle response and not as much vibration. Again I have a auto and I think a automatic trans will have more vibration since we're always in gear while at a light. Unless you throw your auto in neutral while at a light, but who wants to do that crap all the time. Not me
Old 01-18-2004, 11:25 AM
¿Hablas Español?

Originally Posted by CandiMan
Then fill your mounts with polyurethane, that's always a cheaper alternative. The one thing you VQ guys have in your favor is a relatively smooth idling engine. Besies quicker revs I guess that short piston stroke acounts for something. I have a auto VE and when I filled all four of my mounts (2 eng, 2 tranny) the vibration was unbearable. Even though the throttle response with the filled mounts was to die for, I had to settle with re-installing the two rubber OEM tranny mounts and keeping the filled engine mounts. For me, the two filled and two OEM rubber mounts is a nice compromise between a little better throttle response and not as much vibration. Again I have a auto and I think a automatic trans will have more vibration since we're always in gear while at a light. Unless you throw your auto in neutral while at a light, but who wants to do that crap all the time. Not me
This should be in the FAQ section regarding mounts (if there is one ). Things are different for VG/VE vs. VQ and auto vs. manual, as noted here. I think Eric's idea is pure genius after following his instructions. I have absolutely no negatives to report and it was inexpensive, easy, and quick.

http://members.***.net/jekremer/prefill.jpg
http://members.***.net/jekremer/postfill.jpg

I did this quite a while ago, so the details aren't fresh but the yellow area in the 2nd pic, represents how much play you're taking out.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:28 AM
Father of the 00 VI

I thought the same thing , but they were on my gift list for two years ,and to my surprise i unwraped them under the tree.
One thing i just thought about was in the summer heat they will probably loosen up alittle bit.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:40 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Make your own!
Old 01-18-2004, 05:03 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by joaquink
Make your own!

i dont have the chance to have my car down for a few days to do this. also im kinda unsure about removing the mounts from the car and what not anyone in NJ done it? interested in helping
Old 01-19-2004, 05:33 AM
Banned

new motor mounts and tranny mounts aren't that expensive....i hear you can buy all four aftermakets for under 200.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:21 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by Torgus
new motor mounts and tranny mounts aren't that expensive....i hear you can buy all four aftermakets for under 200.
Who's the aftermarket supplier? PR is over $200. ES hasn't come out with theirs yet.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:10 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
Who's the aftermarket supplier? PR is over $200. ES hasn't come out with theirs yet.
...and with PR mounts you only get the front and rear mounts, right?

I did all 4 the DIY method. Easy, cheap, and I'm happy with the results.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:44 AM

how hard was it to put them on?

I have to say from all the negative comments about the vibration ,I waited because i feared earthquake like vibration. But as i started the car it had a deeper throatier sound and i never heard anyone say this ,my car exhaust actually has a healthier rythm?! And it revs ALOT smoother .Also axle hop is nonexstent even on wet pavement. The car seems to have more power in first and second now, because of the lack of engine movement.
And now the bad it does vibrate below 800-850rpm. But Im so pleased with the good that this is very minor ,compared to what it offers.
Once i get the cams i will set the idle at 850-900rpm and then it will all be good. But even if the cams weren't getting done i would probably leave it because it doesnt bother me. But keep in mind these were installed when it was atleast -1 degree F and probably in warmer weather they would be fine.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:21 AM

You probally have to take one off at a time and fill them sepertelt unless you can drop the motor, you can do all of them at the same time. Not easy for the average do it yourselfer.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:03 AM

Do you really need to do the other two mounts if you get both PR mounts in?
Old 01-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by G20Flyer
Do you really need to do the other two mounts if you get both PR mounts in?
No not at all. Just as long bas the rubber is not torn out of them.

I didnt put them on i dont have a heated garage and i couldn't wait till spring. It c0st $59 at the dealership.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:22 AM

No not at all. Just as long bas the rubber is not torn out of them.

I didnt put them on i dont have a heated garage and i couldn't wait till spring. It c0st $59 at the dealership.
Ok sweet...i think im gonna do the PR's. I'm gonna do a search on it, but do you need to support the engine if you take just one out? Doing this yourself?

Or did you pay the dealer $59 to install the mounts for you?
Old 01-22-2004, 05:37 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by G20Flyer
Ok sweet...i think im gonna do the PR's. I'm gonna do a search on it, but do you need to support the engine if you take just one out? Doing this yourself?

Or did you pay the dealer $59 to install the mounts for you?
For $59 i wouldnt it ,its better to have the dealer do cheap things that could lead to big problems. You have to drop the support beam under the engine both mounts are bolted to it. It is fairly easy but like i said for $59 it is worth it to pay.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

For $59 i wouldnt it ,its better to have the dealer do cheap things that could lead to big problems. You have to drop the support beam under the engine both mounts are bolted to it. It is fairly easy but like i said for $59 it is worth it to pay.

Chris, I have a busted mount and am thinking of getting the PR poly mounts. I was doing some research on the org's old posts concerning the cabin vibration caused by the solid mounts. Two different PR motor mount owners said that the vibration decreases over time........could you give us an update on whether or not the vibration goes away over the next few thousand miles? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:47 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Chris, I have a busted mount and am thinking of getting the PR poly mounts. I was doing some research on the org's old posts concerning the cabin vibration caused by the solid mounts. Two different PR motor mount owners said that the vibration decreases over time........could you give us an update on whether or not the vibration goes away over the next few thousand miles? Thanks.
Will do.