General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Failed NY inspection

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 04:37 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

So I had my car at my local Nissan dealer today for some routine service, and I decided to have them inspect my car because its up at the end of the month.

In Upstate NY they do not have standard emissions testing. So, I get a call saying that my car failed inspection because I had removed the pre-cats.

Has this happened to anyone else? I looked up NYS's inspection policies and the only think that I could find was that if a car was equiped with a cat then there must be one in good working order. Do you think this includes the pre-cats?

This happen to anyone else?

I figure I'll just take my car to some oil change place and have them inspect it. Odds are the person who looks won't even realize that the car had pre-cats.

Any thoughts?

[Edited by ejj5875 on 03-08-2001 at 06:40 PM]
Old 03-08-2001, 10:15 PM

I hate the dealer most of the time

Them bastards always try to rip you off take it some were alse dont forget to post again on an update
Old 03-09-2001, 04:59 AM
ejj

Re: I hate the dealer most of the time

Originally posted by Vitaly O.
Them bastards always try to rip you off take it some were alse dont forget to post again on an update
That's what I'm thinking. They most likely figured that they could con a new factory y-pipe out of me for this. Oh well. It only cost me $14, and it was good to hear that everything else is in top shape!
Old 03-09-2001, 06:48 AM

NYS inspection

yeah, my car is due for an inspection in a month--

how much are the NYS inspections nowadays? what do they check for? it has beeeeeen a long time since I had to have it done (my dad usually takes it for the inspection...)

Originally posted by ejj5875
Originally posted by Vitaly O.
That's what I'm thinking. They most likely figured that they could con a new factory y-pipe out of me for this. Oh well. It only cost me $14, and it was good to hear that everything else is in top shape!
Old 03-09-2001, 07:10 AM
ejj

Re: NYS inspection

Originally posted by humaras

how much are the NYS inspections nowadays? what do they check for? it has beeeeeen a long time since I had to have it done (my dad usually takes it for the inspection...)
As far as emissions go, if you live in NYC or a few surrounding counties, you have to have an emissions test.

If you are Upstate, they check that you have all the equipment that was on the car at production. Cat, EVAP, PCV, and so on.

The, basic saftey checks...check out this site. It has a complete rundown of the NYS inspection process.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-50.htm
Old 03-09-2001, 08:33 AM

Re: Re: NYS inspection

Hey thanks for the link--quite useful!!
Originally posted by humaras

As far as emissions go, if you live in NYC or a few surrounding counties, you have to have an emissions test.

If you are Upstate, they check that you have all the equipment that was on the car at production. Cat, EVAP, PCV, and so on.

The, basic saftey checks...check out this site. It has a complete rundown of the NYS inspection process.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-50.htm
Old 03-09-2001, 10:08 AM

you shouldn't have done an inspection at the dealer

well if you you took your car to the dealer with the modification you have, they would look for a reason to fail you. I would rather take my car to an independent shop who wouldn't know that my y pipe is not stock. But you have to be careful with the dealers.

Old 03-09-2001, 10:55 AM
ejj

Re: you shouldn't have done an inspection at the dealer

Originally posted by boogiemax95
well if you you took your car to the dealer with the modification you have, they would look for a reason to fail you. I would rather take my car to an independent shop who wouldn't know that my y pipe is not stock. But you have to be careful with the dealers.

Trust me, I didn't plan on it. But when I took it in the guy asked me if I wanted it inspected too. I said yeah, but asked them not to take the existing sticker off incase there are any problems.

I kinda knew that they would give me crap about my exhaust, but the main thing I wanted them to give a look was breaks, and other things that I would not want to get fixed else where.
Old 03-09-2001, 08:21 PM
marc sanford

Re: Re: you shouldn't have done an inspection at the dealer

Originally posted by boogiemax95

Trust me, I didn't plan on it. But when I took it in the guy asked me if I wanted it inspected too. I said yeah, but asked them not to take the existing sticker off incase there are any problems.

I kinda knew that they would give me crap about my exhaust, but the main thing I wanted them to give a look was breaks, and other things that I would not want to get fixed else where.
Hate to say but I work for a dealer,Hard to say don't bring it there but if you think about it,your gudgement was made by one person that was at the dealer.Yes it states that alteration to exhaust does not pass,take an exhaust reading and base the reading on the final o2.You still have the pre.cats.and the convertor.Da.Bad exp.Not all are like that!