General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Windshield cracked by itself!! Need info on replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 05:45 PM

Any info on windshield replacement???

I need to get my windshield replaced because a 2 ft. crack has developed. It's weird how it happened too, basically I haven't driven my car in the past 3 weeks cause of all the bad weather we've been getting in the NE. So all the ice/snow has just been sitting on my car. Well today, since almost all the snow has melted away, I decided to go for a drive, get into the car and see a 2 ft. crack running the length of the windshield. So basically the extreme cold weather cracked my windshield. Anyone have this ever happen to them?

Insurance is going to cover the replacement. I was just wondering if anyone has any info concerning things to be on the lookout for when they replace the windshield, such as brand of glass? aftermarket glass just as good as OEM? will the seal be just as good as original? etc, etc. TIA

Old 02-04-2004, 05:46 PM

Windshield cracked by itself!! Need info on replacement

I need to get my windshield replaced because a 2 ft. crack has developed. It's weird how it happened too, basically I haven't driven my car in the past 3 weeks cause of all the bad weather we've been getting in the NE. So all the ice/snow has just been sitting on my car. Well today, since almost all the snow has melted away, I decided to go for a drive, get into the car and see a 2 ft. crack running the length of the windshield. So basically the extreme cold weather cracked my windshield. Anyone have this ever happen to them?

Insurance is going to cover the replacement. I was just wondering if anyone has any info concerning things to be on the lookout for when they replace the windshield, such as brand of glass? aftermarket glass just as good as OEM? will the seal be just as good as original? etc, etc. TIA

Old 02-04-2004, 06:08 PM
no more maxima...

I would like to get a little info on this too. My windshield got smashed the other day too, and I have a crack across my windshield with a few other smaller ones on one side.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:37 PM
How 'bout them cliffs?

my windshield was replaced in a shop when they were fixing a car. apparently didnt take that long to do it, and i believe it came from a junk yard. have it for the second year now.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:31 PM

a windshield is a winshield. I dont think that you should have to worry about anything. If the insurance is going to cover the windshiled and labor. I have had 3 winshield replacements non on the maxima. But theres nothing special about a windshield, so dont worry.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow beer boy had to post twice for the same thing! Go to a reputable glass company and get a new windshiled. Insurance will replace it for free under glass coverage.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:12 PM

make sure to ask them for greddy, mugen, or hks winshields! and if you want, i think carbon fiber is hot!

if it's free/ do it at beiner nissan or star nissan. glass is glass buddy.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:29 PM

I had this happen to my '98 last winter. It was -25C or so, and I was driving down the street. I turned the heat up high and switched to defrost. 5 minutes later (still driving), pop, a 3 foot horizontal crack right across the middle of the windshield.

I have assumed that it was caused by the difference in glass temperature from the bottom to the top of the windshield.

I also broke a windshield at the DIY carwash. Again on a cold day, I sprayed the windshield and pop.

I think maybe the ice on your windshield may have acted like a magnifying glass and heated up the glass.