General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

The I30KRAB is at Stillen

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2001, 07:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If any one is interested, my car will be at Stillen for at least a week, maybe 2. I am back in Cleve. O. and won't be picking it up until next month when JWT is done with the tuning.
You are welcome to come and check it out. They are putting on a smaller pulley to kick the boost up to 10 lbs. I'm not sure of the pulley size. They will also be installing a new radiator thermostat and the auxilliary priming pump for the water injection system.

By the way, has anybody figured out the safest maximum boost for our 4th generations that won't destroy the engine??
Old 03-10-2001, 07:45 PM

The best way to find out is to increase boost until a head gasket or piston blows up, then back off 1 PSI......

Please let the rest of us know what this figure is....

Thanks in advance,

Don in Texas

Old 03-10-2001, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Don in Texas
The best way to find out is to increase boost until a head gasket or piston blows up, then back off 1 PSI......

Thanks in advance,

Don in Texas

Why didn't I think of that??
Old 03-10-2001, 08:19 PM

Hehehe... it's like that Calvin and Hobbes comic...
Calvin - "Dad, how do they know how much a bridge can hold?"

Dad - "Well Calvin, they drive trucks over it with increasing weights. And when one truck collapses the bridge, they make a note and rebuild the bridge."

Calvin - "Cool!"

Originally posted by Don in Texas

Thanks in advance,

Don in Texas

Old 03-10-2001, 08:47 PM

its too bad you can't use a boost controller.....

Otherwise if you could use race gas a the track it would be nice to see what 12psi at the manifold does. BTW see how much JWT would charge to make some custom cams.

Originally posted by i30krab
If any one is interested, my car will be at Stillen for at least a week, maybe 2. I am back in Cleve. O. and won't be picking it up until next month when JWT is done with the tuning.
You are welcome to come and check it out. They are putting on a smaller pulley to kick the boost up to 10 lbs. I'm not sure of the pulley size. They will also be installing a new radiator thermostat and the auxilliary priming pump for the water injection system.

By the way, has anybody figured out the safest maximum boost for our 4th generations that won't destroy the engine??
Old 03-11-2001, 12:34 AM

How much for the water injection system

What will all of that run you and the auxilary priming pump? What does that pump do anyway? I was looking at the water injection but didn't know of anyone that made it. Keep me posted at to how much that will cost (water injection system and the pump).
Old 03-11-2001, 06:49 AM

Re: its too bad you can't use a boost controller.....

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
Otherwise if you could use race gas a the track it would be nice to see what 12psi at the manifold does. BTW see how much JWT would charge to make some custom cams.

Originally posted by i30krab

As far as cam shafts for the 4th gen, I wouldn't hold my breath. I don't think that project is very high on their list!

The water injection intercooling is made by aquamist which is an English ltd. Water is injected into the intake tract at 125 psi. This cools the intake charge and then enters the combustion chamber to prevent detonation. I am using a priming pump because my 3 gal. water tank is mounted in the trunk and it is also at a lower level than the main pump.
The whole system costs about a $1000.00 plus a few hundred for installation. The system runs only at full boost so the 3 gallons of water should last a couple of tanks of gas. The system will be tuned in a 3 dimensional map along with the water, air, and fuel.
I wanted to go higher than 10 lbs boost but I decided to error on the conservative side. This is my daily driver and I want to keep the car a long time. Hopefully someone will boost their car in the 12-15 range and we can see how the motor holds up. I have a feeling the engine will take 15 lbs of boost but will the transaxle take the punishment?