General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Question about lifters ticking...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 08:19 PM

Question about lifters ticking...

I just found this:

http://www.dsm.org/archives/1996/04/...04.txt/18.html

Now, my engine DOES make a small ticking sound when I revv it up (I hear it better when I pop the hood). Is this the lifters ticking? If so, is the procedure explained above a good idea? I've seen it done on rotaries but never on a "regular" engine. Also, it talks about a hose where you pour in the ATF, where is this hose? A picture might help..

Thanks guys.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by rik3k
I just found this:

http://www.dsm.org/archives/1996/04/...04.txt/18.html

Now, my engine DOES make a small ticking sound when I revv it up (I hear it better when I pop the hood). Is this the lifters ticking? If so, is the procedure explained above a good idea? I've seen it done on rotaries but never on a "regular" engine. Also, it talks about a hose where you pour in the ATF, where is this hose? A picture might help..

Thanks guys.

You could any small vacuum hose after the MAF and the throttle body that leads into the upper intake manifold. You don't actually "pour" ATF into the hose, but let the vacuum of the car to "sip" the ATF. I done this technique on my 1993 Maxima SE (VE30DE) engine and it did wonders in cleaning the carbon deposits. Like the guy said, you will see tons of black smoke coming out of the exhuast pipe, so be in a well ventilate area.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:42 PM

So I pour in half a quart of ATF and then half a quart of water?
Old 03-07-2004, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by rik3k
So I pour in half a quart of ATF and then half a quart of water?

Using half a quart of ATF will soften and remove the carbon deposits. The half of quart of water will "rinse" the remain desposits along with the ATF in your entire intake manifold and exhuast system. Using this amount is fine, because you are letting the car vacuum "sip" the liquids up and that will take about 2-3 minutes for each step.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:34 PM
Hooooooonda.....

it's the injectors not lifters. Dude, get a screwdriver and place the metal tip on an injector and the other side in your ear. LISTEN! Hear the ticking?
Old 03-08-2004, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Big D
it's the injectors not lifters. Dude, get a screwdriver and place the metal tip on an injector and the other side in your ear. LISTEN! Hear the ticking?
I have never heard fuel injectors on a Max that sounded like lifters ticking. You should not hear the injectors over the engine noise.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:28 AM

Ok just a quick question though: what the hell are lifters and what do they do.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:08 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Its the injectors. I've had 3 different sets, and they're all LOUD (the 370cc's are the quietest).

Also, I could be mistaken, but we don't even have lifters...
Old 03-08-2004, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by ejj

Its the injectors. I've had 3 different sets, and they're all LOUD (the 370cc's are the quietest).

Also, I could be mistaken, but we don't even have lifters...
We do have lifters but they aren't like a lifter in a pushrod motor...

The cam pushes on a shim which is sitting on what Nissan calls the lifter.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:26 AM

The VQ30DE does have mechanical lifters, ideal for high RPM operation. It just doesn't have rocker arms, or followers for that matter.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:29 AM
ejj

Originally Posted by MadMax95

I guess. I wouldn't have classified that as a lifter, but it makes sense.

Either way, they aren't the ticking noise.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:38 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by MadMax95

I thought they were lash caps. Never knew they were actually called lifters by Nissan publications...
Old 03-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
I have never heard fuel injectors on a Max that sounded like lifters ticking. You should not hear the injectors over the engine noise.
Damn, how loud is your engine? As soon as I open he hood I can hear the injectors clicking. This is on my car as well as the 10+ other maxs I've listened too.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Blazin......

same situation

My Lifters Knock the worst.

When cold. It sounds Horrific and almost like all the oil has competely drained from the last time it sat.

Ive heard to get the SLA-kit timing chain tension'er thing.
Ive been told the plunger Assembly is worn which is why it ticks.

So which is it the Lifter or the Timing chain you think..?
We Are ALL prob referrin to the same sound, If you go to a dealership and start up 10 - 95-97 maxima's (which i did) Youll find that only Few (2) dont Knock knock when starting a little.
Also when cold or in the 30's if you dont let your car warm up you will here these things racing.tick tick tick...
Mine has done it the past 70,000 miles. I Bought it like this but its gotten worse.
I think were all in the same boat here. theres a few more threads on this Ticking crap But youll Need to Judge/ Is it coming from a Part? or from the Engine Itself?..
Old 03-08-2004, 02:11 PM

Damn, how loud is your engine? As soon as I open he hood I can hear the injectors clicking. This is on my car as well as the 10+ other maxs I've listened too.
You hear the valve train clicking dude. The injectors only have small electomagnets in them and can't be heard over the mechanical moving parts of the engine. My engine is fairly quiet except for the timing chain and valve train noises. Even if you hooked up a Snap On scanner to test your injectors, they would not be that loud with the engine off. On a International 7.3 Powerstroke diesel engine it's a different story. They use huge injectors and make loud clicks when you test them.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:43 PM
ejj

You hear the valve train clicking dude. The injectors only have small electomagnets in them and can't be heard over the mechanical moving parts of the engine. My engine is fairly quiet except for the timing chain and valve train noises. Even if you hooked up a Snap On scanner to test your injectors, they would not be that loud with the engine off. On a International 7.3 Powerstroke diesel engine it's a different story. They use huge injectors and make loud clicks when you test them.
Dude, listen to the injectors using a screwdriver or piece of hose. Our injectors are that loud. Its not the valves. If you listen to the valves (with a screwdriver) you hear a smooth swirling sound...not the ticking that people are talking about.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:16 PM

I don't see that happening dude. There is no way that a little injector can make more noise than a tappet (valve) opening and closing. I am a mechanic by trade and I have heard engines running with the valve covers taken off. I know that if you take an overhead cam head off the engine and spin the cam, it will snap over as the cam opens and closes the valves. That is the sound that you hear when the engine is running. Valve springs are much bigger than the springs in the injectors and valves are louder than injectors. The "swirling" (maybe you meant whirling) sound you refer to is most likely the chains and sprockets transmitting sound through the vavle covers.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:59 PM
ejj

I don't see that happening dude. There is no way that a little injector can make more noise than a tappet (valve) opening and closing. I am a mechanic by trade and I have heard engines running with the valve covers taken off. I know that if you take an overhead cam head off the engine and spin the cam, it will snap over as the cam opens and closes the valves. That is the sound that you hear when the engine is running. Valve springs are much bigger than the springs in the injectors and valves are louder than injectors. The "swirling" (maybe you meant whirling) sound you refer to is most likely the chains and sprockets transmitting sound through the vavle covers.
I know what you're saying, but that's just not right. Do this: go outside, start your Max, put a long screwdriver with the tip on top of an injector, put your ear on the handle end, and report back what you hear.

I already know the answer.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:04 PM

It is the Fuel Injectors.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by ejj
I know what you're saying, but that's just not right. Do this: go outside, start your Max, put a long screwdriver with the tip on top of an injector, put your ear on the handle end, and report back what you hear.

I already know the answer.
I'll have to wait until I change my spark plugs to do that test. I don't want to remove my engine cover just to do that test. When I do the test and if I am wrong, I will give you your props. I will use my stethoscope instead of a screwdriver though.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:04 AM

Its def the injectors... There so loud on OUR cars.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:39 AM
SLOW

You can hear the injectors. Using the hose technique and putting up to the injector you can hear the same noise, although magnified because you are using a hose, and you can tell it is in unison with the ticking you hear by just opening your hood. Also, you can tell that some injectors tick louder than others (perhaps a symptom of an impending problem??). In my car at least, a few of the injectors clearly tick louder than others (when using the hose listening technique.)
Old 03-09-2004, 10:05 AM

I have that loud ticking sound as well..
Old 03-09-2004, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
I have that loud ticking sound as well..
I guess you got the diesel edition.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:22 PM

Old 03-10-2004, 12:42 AM

I guess you got the diesel edition.

with bad gas mileage....