General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

A good suspension may be the single best 1/4 mile track mod....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 08:22 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Ever since installing my Koni fronts, KYB rears, and 215/55 Yokohama Avid V4s on Kosei K1s, my ets have dropped by over .25 of a second. This gain in et is strictly related to my improved 60 foot times. Last season I was running on blown stock struts which made for bad squat and bounce on launch therefore increasing wheelspin. With my current setup, I can launch at 3500 rpms with a quick clutch slip and marginal wheelspin. Last season I couldn't launch over 2200 rpms. On the street, I take my car up to near 4000 rpms and launch quite easily....usually. My car use to spin horribly into 2nd and chirp 3rd. Now I barely get a chirp in 2nd and nothing in 3rd.

At the track, my little sedan in hole shooting many musclecars that are running radial tires. While they're spinning, I'm hooking up better and I've got fwd!!!

My setup is like this for the track:

Fronts to 25 psi
Rears to 42 psi
Koni's at full firmness
Launch at 3500 (quick slip, ~1 second)

The lighterweight wheels do help, but they are only 1 lb lighter than the 15" setup, but the inertial mass of the 16" wheel probably offsets it's 1 lb advantage. I suggest getting a set of nice lightweight rims because it makes going to the track much easier because you don't have to swap wheels plus it looks cool that you are one of the few people running a true street setup.

Dave
Old 03-19-2001, 10:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Dave B
Ever since installing my Koni fronts, KYB rears, and 215/55 Yokohama Avid V4s on Kosei K1s, my ets have dropped by over .25 of a second. This gain in et is strictly related to my improved 60 foot times. Last season I was running on blown stock struts which made for bad squat and bounce on launch therefore increasing wheelspin. With my current setup, I can launch at 3500 rpms with a quick clutch slip and marginal wheelspin. Last season I couldn't launch over 2200 rpms. On the street, I take my car up to near 4000 rpms and launch quite easily....usually. My car use to spin horribly into 2nd and chirp 3rd. Now I barely get a chirp in 2nd and nothing in 3rd.

At the track, my little sedan in hole shooting many musclecars that are running radial tires. While they're spinning, I'm hooking up better and I've got fwd!!!

My setup is like this for the track:

Fronts to 25 psi
Rears to 42 psi
Koni's at full firmness
Launch at 3500 (quick slip, ~1 second)

The lighterweight wheels do help, but they are only 1 lb lighter than the 15" setup, but the inertial mass of the 16" wheel probably offsets it's 1 lb advantage. I suggest getting a set of nice lightweight rims because it makes going to the track much easier because you don't have to swap wheels plus it looks cool that you are one of the few people running a true street setup.

Dave
What about coil spring spacers in the springs for the track? It would reduce motion to almost 0 in the rear so more energy gets transferred to the front wheels.
Old 03-19-2001, 11:21 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I've got coil spring spacers and I've tried them between various coils and there still is motion in the rear. I can force the rear down about 1/2" with arm force. I do can do the same with the spacers in place. Progressive springs don't take to spacers like linear rate springs do. IMO, as long as you've got well dampened struts and progressive rate springs, the spacers won't do much.

Dave
Old 03-19-2001, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
I've got coil spring spacers and I've tried them between various coils and there still is motion in the rear. I can force the rear down about 1/2" with arm force. I do can do the same with the spacers in place. Progressive springs don't take to spacers like linear rate springs do. IMO, as long as you've got well dampened struts and progressive rate springs, the spacers won't do much.

Dave
My best 60' time 2.08 on my 17s? Just cause the z rated tires can hook up good for me. I had the Eibock/Tokiko setup But I now have coilovers. I have not ran at the track on my 17s yet with the new coilovers. Are you running 16s with the 215/55s? If so that is why you did not realy see any improvment in time. It may sound dumb and look dumn but if you have some 15s that you are not using get some 205/50/15s on them and I will promise you will drop 2-3 tenths and gain 2-3mph. Just cause of the better gear ratio..
Old 03-19-2001, 09:23 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

98Max-

I plan on getting a set of 205/50R15 Nitto or BFG drag radials. They will be about 1.25" shorter than stock and will increase my gear ratio by about 8%. I doubt I'll see much improvement in mph due to the drag of the tires, but I anticipate a .2-.25 drop in et...hopefully.

I think the reason you can pull 2.0 60 foots is because your track is prepped pretty well. Don't you run at one of the tracks in Florida? Pulling 2.0s on any kind of street tires at my track rides on near impossible. I've got lots of friends running F-Bodys, Mustangs, Hondas, Supra TTs, you name it and they can't get 2.0 60 foots without the aid of drag radials or slicks. I'm one of the few still running street tires.

What kind of 60 foots do you pull without the NOS?

Dave