General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Cobra rotors with 300ZX pads...not satisfied..anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 08:38 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Cobra rotors with 300ZX pads...not satisfied..anyone else?

i installed the mustang cobra rotors tonite with my 300ZX calipers. I think i got some bad rotors cause it wobbles alot. Double chcked my work a few times and still couldnt figure out the wobble. Got the rotors off ebay so maybe its junk...also when i brake initally it clunks a bit....Im wondering iif the Mustang bolt pattern is different or i got wrong rotors or what...i dunno
Old 03-29-2004, 09:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Maybe you need the hubcentric rings
IIRC Candiman sells them.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
Maybe you need the hubcentric rings
IIRC Candiman sells them.

i have those.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hmmm, maybe it is the rotors, does it only wobble when your braking?

I helped Jeff when he installed his for the first time and it went really smoothly. After the pads bedded it stops very well and is really nice. He bought his rotors from Napa.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:54 PM

rotor are probably to thin. I've driven car tht wobble cuz of that or they may be warped
Old 03-29-2004, 09:57 PM

rotors are brand new, and i kno they arent too thin

it wobbles all the time....
Old 03-29-2004, 10:52 PM

you know why?!... its OFF A MUSTANG THATS WHY!!!!!! SUCKA!!!!! hahaha ok never mind matt.. you know inside jokes
Old 03-29-2004, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by ni5moserspecv
you know why?!... its OFF A MUSTANG THATS WHY!!!!!! SUCKA!!!!! hahaha ok never mind matt.. you know inside jokes

hahah bastard! but maybe your rite.....
Old 03-30-2004, 05:04 AM
Jedi Knight

say it ain't so...I'm looking at completing mine finally possibly this summer..
Old 03-30-2004, 05:12 AM

Yea, I got Cobra brembo blanks and I do get a wobble at about 60-70 mph. My only guess is messed up the hub-centric ring when I reamed out the middle of it. Had to take a dye grinder and make the center hole bigger to fit my hub in other words; was a tight fit and I had to use a screwdriver + hammer to get it on all the way. Just make sure you have to rotors up against the lugs in the direction the brakes will drag them also. Had mine centered till I decided to panic stop from 120........the rims were tightened down big time but the rotor still shifted up against the lugs, lol. Well, if ya have anymore questions just lemme know and I'll be glad to help ya out.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:12 AM
I'm needing a caw

Mine work like a dream.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:09 AM
Getting back to his roots

The rotors probably need to get turned. I bought Brembo blanks from one of those nissanparts websites and installed them and there was a massive vibration, drove to the mechanic and he put them on the lathe and they needed to be turned. It happens unfortunately.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
The rotors probably need to get turned. I bought Brembo blanks from one of those nissanparts websites and installed them and there was a massive vibration, drove to the mechanic and he put them on the lathe and they needed to be turned. It happens unfortunately.
Ah, I'll check that out when I mess with the blower again then. I sorta figured since I was gettin vibration between those certain speeds (60-70) that it could have to do with the harmonics of the big wheel/big rotor combination (getting a resonance at those speeds that isnt getting cancled out). Prolly thinkin too far into it though; it's a curse when you're a physicist.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:44 AM

yea my rotors hit my wheel studs too...but my lugs are tightened more then 90 ft lb...i dunno i should buy some other rotors.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:51 AM

If you're willin to spend the cash, try a set of 2-piece Eradispeeds.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by KMax2988
If you're willin to spend the cash, try a set of 2-piece Eradispeeds.

what is that and where would i be able to get more info on it? thanks
Old 03-30-2004, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo95Max
what is that and where would i be able to get more info on it? thanks
Here's info on what they are: http://www.eradispeed.com/eradispeed01.shtm

And here's one of many places you can get them (at bottom): http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...perf&x=95&y=17
Old 03-31-2004, 05:49 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I wonder what those weigh in at compared to Brembo or OEM blanks?
Old 03-31-2004, 06:01 PM

Update: The clunking is still there. Mostly when turning or under acceleration.
i went back to my old brake setup and its still clunking. The only other thing that i changed was the passenger side axle. Seems unlikely that it could be a defective axle but ill check it out i guess. Dunno what else it could be.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:27 PM

Update: The clunking is still there. Mostly when turning or under acceleration.
i went back to my old brake setup and its still clunking. The only other thing that i changed was the passenger side axle. Seems unlikely that it could be a defective axle but ill check it out i guess. Dunno what else it could be.
I think its your passanger axle because I have the same clunk gassing it only in left turns. After the 5sp conv. I didnt hear it when we went to eggettes because I was still using my stock axle but only after we went to get that new axle from that one place it happened so I think its just the axle, maybe try another axle place
Old 04-01-2004, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo
I think its your passanger axle because I have the same clunk gassing it only in left turns. After the 5sp conv. I didnt hear it when we went to eggettes because I was still using my stock axle but only after we went to get that new axle from that one place it happened so I think its just the axle, maybe try another axle place

maybe....its waranty so ill change it today and see. That MT90 that leaks out after every axle change does add up tho...
Old 04-01-2004, 11:10 AM
I'm needing a caw

You dumping and replacing all the fluid each time? Reuse the fluid if it's new. And just top it off. Just make sure to drain it into a clean container.

maybe....its waranty so ill change it today and see. That MT90 that leaks out after every axle change does add up tho...
Old 04-02-2004, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You dumping and replacing all the fluid each time? Reuse the fluid if it's new. And just top it off. Just make sure to drain it into a clean container.

hahah im so lazy i dont want to clean my pan so i juss use new fluid....so sad...
Old 04-02-2004, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by KMax2988
Here's info on what they are: http://www.eradispeed.com/eradispeed01.shtm
Which ones would you use? According to their catalog they don't produce 2 piece rotors for the Maxima. At least not direct replacements.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:39 AM

These guys are running [edit]COBRA[/edit] rotors, which the link has preselected.

Originally Posted by Myrv
Which ones would you use? According to their catalog they don't produce 2 piece rotors for the Maxima. At least not direct replacements.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:18 AM

Thanks.

The Tirerack link didn't work for me for some reason but strangely enough works now. Probably my company's proxy server, it's been doing strange things all week.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:50 AM

BRAIN FART~! Too damn early.

Cobra rotors...NOT 300Z. Doh!

Originally Posted by Myrv
Thanks.

The Tirerack link didn't work for me for some reason but strangely enough works now. Probably my company's proxy server, it's been doing strange things all week.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:20 AM

realistically, it would have been so much easier to juss buy a brake kit and slap it on the car. what i like most is retaining the 300ZX caliper cause it says Nissan on it. That sparks alot of interest with people i meet or talk to.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:23 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

i installed the mustang cobra rotors tonite with my 300ZX calipers. I think i got some bad rotors cause it wobbles alot. Double chcked my work a few times and still couldnt figure out the wobble. Got the rotors off ebay so maybe its junk...also when i brake initally it clunks a bit....Im wondering iif the Mustang bolt pattern is different or i got wrong rotors or what...i dunno
What's up Matthel, how's the lovely Bay area weather? You make the third person that comes to my mind who's running the Cobra/Z32 set-up. It seems a few have purchase either rings or brackets but have yet to install them (my self included) for various reasons.

KMax mentioned he had to enlarge the inner dia. of the ring. Unless he got a odd ball set there shouldn't have been a need to enlarge the inner diameter. Sure you might need a screw driver and a hammer to install the ring flush onto the hub but it's not that tight where it can't come off with the same screw driver and hammer. KMax set-up I can see why it might wobble. If I remember correct, didn't KMax go the local parts store route (he can speak for himself)

Even though I have yet to install my set-up I also went the local parts store route to keep the price at a minimum. ($30 a piece) I can't remember the brand name (throw out the box many moons ago) but I would say it was a Bendix or Wagner rotor, definately American made.

What type of rotors did you get from eBay, was if a off the wall name brand. Did the ring fit tight into the rotor before you installed it.

But now since you mentioned you put your original brake set-up back on and it's still cluncking. It may not be Cobra/Z32 related, as I'm sure you've comtemplated already. You also mentioned the rotors were hitting the wheels studs. What type of lug nuts are you using, is it the acorn type lug nut?

When you put the rings onto the hub and then the Cobra rotor onto the hub (as a test fit) sure the rotor can turn which will hit the wheels studs. The Cobra wheels studs holes are larger than the dia of the Max wheel studs. But once you install the wheel and proper lug nuts everything "should" center up. I say should because I have yet to actualy install mine. I'm also saying all this just incase someone else may not know.

MIKE
Old 04-03-2004, 11:13 AM

hey Mike, weather is lovely over here, not as nice as Florida im sure tho. anyways, my problem with the clunking ended up being a defective axle. ive fixed it already and no more noises. The only noise i do hear now is when im moving maybe 1-2mph and i brake lightly i hear a very slight clunk from the rotors. i wonder if theres a way to center the holes for the wheel studs and if that would do anything.

Originally Posted by CandiMan
What's up Matthel, how's the lovely Bay area weather? You make the third person that comes to my mind who's running the Cobra/Z32 set-up. It seems a few have purchase either rings or brackets but have yet to install them (my self included) for various reasons.

KMax mentioned he had to enlarge the inner dia. of the ring. Unless he got a odd ball set there shouldn't have been a need to enlarge the inner diameter. Sure you might need a screw driver and a hammer to install the ring flush onto the hub but it's not that tight where it can't come off with the same screw driver and hammer. KMax set-up I can see why it might wobble. If I remember correct, didn't KMax go the local parts store route (he can speak for himself)

Even though I have yet to install my set-up I also went the local parts store route to keep the price at a minimum. ($30 a piece) I can't remember the brand name (throw out the box many moons ago) but I would say it was a Bendix or Wagner rotor, definately American made.

What type of rotors did you get from eBay, was if a off the wall name brand. Did the ring fit tight into the rotor before you installed it.

But now since you mentioned you put your original brake set-up back on and it's still cluncking. It may not be Cobra/Z32 related, as I'm sure you've comtemplated already. You also mentioned the rotors were hitting the wheels studs. What type of lug nuts are you using, is it the acorn type lug nut?

When you put the rings onto the hub and then the Cobra rotor onto the hub (as a test fit) sure the rotor can turn which will hit the wheels studs. The Cobra wheels studs holes are larger than the dia of the Max wheel studs. But once you install the wheel and proper lug nuts everything "should" center up. I say should because I have yet to actualy install mine. I'm also saying all this just incase someone else may not know.

MIKE
Old 04-03-2004, 05:40 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I had a similar noise, and it turned out to be a bad wheel bearing up front.....
Old 04-03-2004, 08:11 PM
Jedi Knight

I'm so close to completing this upgrade also...I just need the rotors and the relocating bracket...glad to hear that its not a function of the upgrade but just the axle.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:13 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by nupe500
I'm so close to completing this upgrade also...I just need the rotors and the relocating bracket...glad to hear that its not a function of the upgrade but just the axle.
I hear what you're saying, but don't give up without a bonafide try. Earlier I mentioned only three people comes to my mind who's actually using the Cobra/Z32 or who has used the Cobra/Z32 but know that number is four. Out of the four Matthel thought he had a problem with his but it turned out to be a axle.

[ Speaking of that, hey Matthel besides that slight clunck you're getting at 1-2mph what's your second opinion on this set-up? Also, what wheels are you using with this set-up? Are you using any spacers with the wheels? ]

The way I look at it, if this set-up didn't work for whatever reason then I'll just slap on the Z31 caliper and milled rotor and be happy. As they say "Nothing beats a failure but a try" "No harm no foul" Not only that but I'll take the valueable lesson I learned from this and know what to apply or not apply to future project cars. (I'm not giving up on my Datsun 510)

I'm also trying to see if I can source out a better 13" rotor (with out going custom) with a more friendlier hat offset that will move the calipers inward away from the wheel spokes. Doing this will increase the dollar factor which I was trying to keep at a minimum. Oh well

MIKE
Old 04-04-2004, 10:27 AM
Jedi Knight

Mike that is a great idea with the rotor hat offset. But I do think that I'll be going with the Cobra rotors or another set (if some are found *ahem Mike*)
Old 04-05-2004, 01:29 AM

hey

besides that slight clunk noise im happy with the brakes. Good initial bite, stops good, 13" rotors fills up the space good. im runnin Advan Model 7s and i have a decent amount of clearance. I hear Tantrums are almost exact copies of Model7s
Old 04-06-2004, 03:11 PM
I'm needing a caw

I don't have the "clunk" either Turbo. I wonder what's going on?

As far as a different hat offset. Sure but now you will require a not so simple relocating bracket. One of the reasons for the Cobra rotor was the 10mm more offset. This allowed him to use an approx 10mm thick bracket and still center the rotor inbetween the pads. If you want to use something with ie.. 10mm less offset, you will now need to design a 2 dimensional bracket. Since each mounting area probably has to be let's say 10mm thick, you now have to start with a 20mm piece of steel/aluminum and have it cnc machined/flame cut. Then have the holes drilled.

It would be better IMHO to find a set of lighter weight 2 rotors that have the same OD and offset of the Cobra rotors but have the hats the same lug/hub bore of a 3rd/4th gen maxima.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:05 AM

Since breaking in the pads and all, ive gotten a chance to test out the brakes more, pretty happy with the performance. Im looking into getting those Eraispeed 2 piece rotors. Just to clarify, the horrible clunk noise i had was actually a defective passenger axle and nothing to do with the brakes.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:04 AM

Are the relocating bracket for the Z32 caliper and hub rings for the rotor still available?
Old 04-18-2004, 03:28 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by teejnut
Are the relocating bracket for the Z32 caliper and hub rings for the rotor still available?
Once in a while you might find someone who's selling their Cobra/Z32 BBK components for what ever reason

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=303331

MIKE
Old 04-18-2004, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the link. You or Jeff don't sell the rings or brackets anymore?

Quick Reply: Cobra rotors with 300ZX pads...not satisfied..anyone else?