General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Subframe connectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 01:05 AM

Subframe connectors

i have a questions to those with SFC's...basically what i wanna know is that hopefully in a year or so, i should be going to dental school in SF and the roads there are not the best....im not looking for increased handling capability, just less flex in the chasis so when im hitting the potholes and dips, the car doesnt feel so loose....do the SFC's take care of the majority of that? and i would be doing stage 1 + 2, and 3 if it makes enough of a difference
thanks
Old 03-30-2004, 03:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm interested in these as well, specifically how it affects ride quality. I'm thinking of only doing stage 1 SFCs, just because it shouldn't be as complicated an install (==less $$ to install) and I'm not sure if I really do need stage 2 cross-bracing for street applications...
Old 03-30-2004, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by spirilis
I'm interested in these as well, specifically how it affects ride quality. I'm thinking of only doing stage 1 SFCs, just because it shouldn't be as complicated an install (==less $$ to install) and I'm not sure if I really do need stage 2 cross-bracing for street applications...
I too would like to see an answer on these issues.......
Old 03-30-2004, 10:49 AM

i drive around in sf alot, but i dont have SFC. If the subframe connectors are too low and your lowered, you will definitely scrape on the hills, and also on really low dips. im on coilovers and no SFC and i scrape if i dont hit the fat hills at an angle, sometimes i just avoid them and go around. (i do have my exhaust that hangs lower than stock though)
Old 03-30-2004, 11:14 AM

I plan on using them with stock springs + Illumina struts (which I already have installed now)
Old 03-30-2004, 11:45 AM

Nine7, how low is your car?...ive driven around in SF a couple times didnt have any major issues but i can see how the SFCs would scrape...
anybody that have SFCs have any comments...thanks
Old 03-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The SFCs only hang lower below the rear doors. Overall, they'll take out about 1.5" in clearance from the rear. I've never scraped mine and I've put the car through some pretty deep dips and sharp hills. Of course I drive over speed bumps and severely rutted surfaces at very slow speeds.

As for SFCs, they're one of the best mods I've ever done. They dramatically improve chassis stiffness while improving the ride and even the handling. The difference becomes more apparent the more you drive the car. I ran with Stage I for about 1 year before getting Stage II. Stage I is fine and Stage II increases stiffness a bit more. Most people would be very happy with Stage I.

Dave
Old 03-30-2004, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dave B
The SFCs only hang lower below the rear doors. Overall, they'll take out about 1.5" in clearance from the rear. I've never scraped mine and I've put the car through some pretty deep dips and sharp hills. Of course I drive over speed bumps and severely rutted surfaces at very slow speeds.

As for SFCs, they're one of the best mods I've ever done. They dramatically improve chassis stiffness while improving the ride and even the handling. The difference becomes more apparent the more you drive the car. I ran with Stage I for about 1 year before getting Stage II. Stage I is fine and Stage II increases stiffness a bit more. Most people would be very happy with Stage I.

Dave
Does the stage 2 additional effect improve ride quality noticeably?
Also, have you had trouble with the B-pipe banging against the cross-braces?

If stage 2 isn't too much more trouble to install I will probably get it... (I will have to find a shop who will install it for a reasonable price, although "reasonable price" is something I'd like advice on too...)
Old 03-30-2004, 01:33 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by spirilis
Does the stage 2 additional effect improve ride quality noticeably?
Also, have you had trouble with the B-pipe banging against the cross-braces?

If stage 2 isn't too much more trouble to install I will probably get it... (I will have to find a shop who will install it for a reasonable price, although "reasonable price" is something I'd like advice on too...)
The Stage II simply bolts to Stage I. There's no welding involved. The car does feel better with Stage II, but it's not remotely has noticable as Stage I, obviously. As for the B-pipe, yes, the B-pipe/cat flange would sometimes hit the passenger side Stage II cross brace because the clearance was less than a 1/4". I simply removed the bar, took a 3lb sledge to it to compress the bar a little and then I added to washers where the bolts connect to the Stage I. These two modifications made the clearance ~1/2" which is more than enough clearance for the pipe to mover without hitting.

Install wise, I had the shop that makes the SFCs for WSP put on the Stage Is. Install was about $80 if I remember correctly. It took about 45 minutes to put them on.

Dave
Old 03-30-2004, 02:26 PM

so you would say its DEFINATELY worth the money correct? just wanna make sure before i order em...
thanks Dave
Old 03-31-2004, 03:38 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by MaxedOut2g
so you would say its DEFINATELY worth the money correct? just wanna make sure before i order em...
thanks Dave
Like I said, they're by far one of the best mods I've ever done and most SFC owners would agree with me.

Dave
Old 03-31-2004, 03:50 PM

thanks a lot Dave....appreciate the advice
Old 04-01-2004, 04:28 AM

Where do you buy these?
Old 04-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/gen4subframes.htm