General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

POLL :Serious $$$ Enthusiasts only please....Headers ! !

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 01:38 PM

If a header set could be produced with DYNO PROVEN results of AT LEAST 20hp increase (could be more), would it be worth the costs of manufacturing? Cost of prototype set will be almost $3,000, but if 20 sets are built, a deal might be worked out for $1,500 per set. These would be high grade material, no fitment issues (bolts to OEM y-pipe or aftermarket). This set of headers would be designed by a premier race-car builder/engine designer that specializes in Formula/Indy type applications, he knows his stuff.

The installation wouldn't be for everyone obviously, but wouldn't be a problem for someone with moderate mechanical aptitude and tools.

As you all are (or aren't) aware, the OEM header configuration is extremely restrictive, and undoubtedly could increase 20hp (30+ on S/C'ed cars). The headers wouldn't be "mass produced" but made by hand (each time). Costs could go down if they were produced my a "header mfgr", but that is down the road.

It won't happen today, but if the feedback response is positive, it could be a reality in 60-90 days. Please understand that a commitment of $20,000 is serious, so please be true to your posts. Please give me your thoughts. If you thoughts are "yeah, sounds great, but $500 would be better" please don't reply.

Positive and negative feedback is encouraged.
Old 03-20-2001, 01:50 PM

IMHO, I wouldnt spend $1500 for 20 hp.

Sorry for the negative feedback on the first post of the forum.

I wouldnt think there would be too many Maxima enthusiasts out there who would be willing to do so.
Old 03-20-2001, 01:58 PM

Unfortunately I would have to agree. That is half the cost of a supercharger so it doesn't make fiscal sense. Great idea though.....
Old 03-20-2001, 02:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Headers would be cool to have, but for around 20 horsepower that does seem a bit steep. Honestly I would buy a supercharger before I bought headers that are going for that much. If it could be dyno proven to add that much, you could try and sell that prototype to a header manufacturer and see if they'd be interested in mass producing them.
Old 03-20-2001, 02:25 PM
ajaffee

Originally posted by Ants97SE
Headers would be cool to have, but for around 20 horsepower that does seem a bit steep. Honestly I would buy a supercharger before I bought headers that are going for that much. If it could be dyno proven to add that much, you could try and sell that prototype to a header manufacturer and see if they'd be interested in mass producing them.
Ditto

Old 03-20-2001, 02:42 PM
My 4DSC

Interested...

With impressive dyno proven results...
I would definitely be interested...
I'm doing 3" y-pipe, cat, b-pipe, & muffler soon...
The headers should compliment the blower & 3" exhaust well..
60-90 days sounds good too...
will give me time to save up...
$1500 is reasonable for custom headers...
That's about what i was quoted from a shop in NY...
but for that price the materials & workmanship should be *ABOVE* top-notch...

Keep me informed.
My4DSC2000@AOL.COM

Old 03-20-2001, 02:47 PM

no diggity...im definately interested
Old 03-20-2001, 02:51 PM

Don't get me wrong but I think **SOME** of you guys are missing the point.

Maybe I should have said "Extreme Enthusiasts"...If you are still at the "bolt-on" level , this may not be for you. If you are looking to add 20 hp at that level, don't buy these.

The Extremists already have an S/C, turbo or NOS OR are planning on it. They have limited out on "bolt-ons". 275-300fwhp range people. People that have invested $5,000 to $10,000 in performance (not stereo) parts (yes they are out there).

These people know what these parts would cost, and are willing to pay that kind of ratio ($$$ for hp).

Those are the people I'm talking about.
Old 03-20-2001, 02:54 PM

i think in laymans terms....what don is saying is

if you have nothing else to put on your car you should get this

hey don do you have any approximation on the cost of the installation?
Old 03-20-2001, 03:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am very interested!

30HP does sound pretty nice. But the price is up there. Any chance they could be cheaper? Say maybe $1200? What if we got say 30 people who were willing to pay $1000-$1200? Would that many orders lower the price substantialy? Anyways what I am getting at is if the price was lower I think a lot more people would be interested and in turn there whould be more orders.

Anyways if the results are there 20+HP you can count me in. BTW thanks for making the effort to broden the mod availability!
Old 03-20-2001, 03:53 PM

that sounds interesting.

if you can prove that it puts out 20 hp i would be very interested. (also if the price came down too!)
Old 03-20-2001, 04:28 PM

Re: I am very interested!

Originally posted by emax95
30HP does sound pretty nice. But the price is up there. Any chance they could be cheaper? Say maybe $1200? What if we got say 30 people who were willing to pay $1000-$1200? Would that many orders lower the price substantialy? Anyways what I am getting at is if the price was lower I think a lot more people would be interested and in turn there whould be more orders.
Don, i know this is walking the edge of "extremist" .. but around 1200 with more ppl (30?) .. id definitely be very interested. 1500 is a lil over half a SC (used) .. which Im currently lookin at, since turbo is just too damn expensive. It can be done, but holy @($&(*& turbo is bling bling.

Of course, this also depends on when you'd have results also. If im not working, or i quit, or something.. then id unfortunately have to back down.. but we'll see.. just wanted to throw my comments behind emax's.
Old 03-20-2001, 04:34 PM

I'm definately all for reducing the price. I just thru that one out there cause I figured 20 people would be pushing it at one time. But over the next year if 50+ people buy, the price can definately be lower....

I'm just getting the feelers out.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Don
Old 03-20-2001, 05:31 PM

Dude, I would definitely be interested, however 1500 sounds like a price for a custom job or one off, I'm sure you can pull an impressive show of interest from this forum, thus a price of 800-1200 would seem reasonable to me. Thanks also, for trying to broaden our options!
Old 03-20-2001, 06:13 PM

Don,

Any chance of expanding this to other Max's? VG, VE?

Good work on the frontrunning!
Old 03-20-2001, 06:27 PM

sweet.

Originally posted by Don in Texas
I'm definately all for reducing the price. I just thru that one out there cause I figured 20 people would be pushing it at one time. But over the next year if 50+ people buy, the price can definately be lower....

I'm just getting the feelers out.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Don
1000-1200 is in the medium to extreme price range, imho.. if you can work it down to that area.. itd be a pretty good deal

Thanks again Don..
Old 03-20-2001, 07:00 PM

I'm Definitely Interested!!

If the price dropped to say around $1000 I would be really INTERESTED!! $1500 is a little on the steep side even for me Don. Let us know when you get some dyno #s.
Old 03-20-2001, 08:04 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Don in Texas
[B]If a header set could be produced with DYNO PROVEN results of AT LEAST 20hp increase (could be more), would it be worth the costs of manufacturing?
It's ironic, I posted something about having Hotshot produce a header for the car and I didn't get a sinlge responce. Anyway I would be for a header but I think many people aren't willing to pay a large amount of money for them. I have spoken to a few people at Hotshot and they would be willing to look into manufacturing the header if demand showed it to worth their time. I can call them again and talk with them if anyone would be interested, including Don. However Don if you're not I understand. Just let me know! I'll talk to them next week and again at Hot Import Nights.
1995 GXE 1st Place NOPI Nationals 2000
Skyline conversion It's coming.....
Old 03-20-2001, 08:18 PM

If this only implied towards extreme enthusiasts, is it worth building it because I don't think there are many of us here who have a turbo/supercharger/nitrous? I don't know really. Maybe by the time this headers project is a real go, more people might be ready for it? By that time, I'm sure I'll have my nitrous setup already. Yeah, the price is high, but hey, we got to start somewhere. Right? Who knows, if this can be successful, down the line, we might have a headers company manufacturing headers for us. Then, I'm sure the price will drop.
Old 03-20-2001, 08:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maxstilln
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Don in Texas
[B]If a header set could be produced with DYNO PROVEN results of AT LEAST 20hp increase (could be more), would it be worth the costs of manufacturing?
It's ironic, I posted something about having Hotshot produce a header for the car and I didn't get a sinlge responce. Anyway I would be for a header but I think many people aren't willing to pay a large amount of money for them. I have spoken to a few people at Hotshot and they would be willing to look into manufacturing the header if demand showed it to worth their time. I can call them again and talk with them if anyone would be interested, including Don. However Don if you're not I understand. Just let me know! I'll talk to them next week and again at Hot Import Nights.

.........SURE!!! I don't think they will tune and design a header, just put tubes in place of the iron manifolds. I'm not so sure about Hotshot, I've always heard customer service/timeliness issues on product launches on several Nissan products. A header is not a header unless it outperforms the OEM counterpart. If they can dyno an extra 20hp out of it on a VQ30DE, I'm in.
Old 03-20-2001, 09:16 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I need to graduate college and make some moeny. If this was happening in like 8 months I might consider. I hope people do buy in so that they make offer them a second time.
Old 03-20-2001, 10:02 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Don-
Show me some reliable numbers and some good quality and I'm in. I'm gonna be keeping my Max for quite a while. Are we talking about a somewhat long tube setup?

Everyone-
Yes, the price is steep, but we must realize there are guys paying $1200 for Comptech headers for the Acura CLs and Accord V6s. The Grand Prix guys are also paying $1200 for headers.

Dave
Old 03-20-2001, 11:01 PM

would there be a significant noise increase?
Old 03-20-2001, 11:08 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Re: Re: I am very interested!

for $1200, i'd rather get the quiafe LSD and plant the power to the ground..

headers yeah. they would be cool, but at 20 for $1200, that's REALLY REALLY steep...
but heck. 80 hp for $4000, (the SC) is in the same line of power per dollar output as Don's Headers...

imho,
this is really geared toward full-hardcore maxima guys. bolt-on newbies, need not reply....
Old 03-21-2001, 07:24 AM

You took the words right out of my mouth. n/m

Originally posted by Dave B
Don-
Show me some reliable numbers and some good quality and I'm in. I'm gonna be keeping my Max for quite a while. Are we talking about a somewhat long tube setup?

Everyone-
Yes, the price is steep, but we must realize there are guys paying $1200 for Comptech headers for the Acura CLs and Accord V6s. The Grand Prix guys are also paying $1200 for headers.

Dave
Old 03-21-2001, 10:41 AM

Answers with a question...

Could I make it worth your while, Don? If so, @#$% yeah, I'm in!!!
Old 03-21-2001, 05:03 PM

i say it's worth a shot.. parts for maximas are not cheap to begin with, so why not get rid of the last bottl kneck right?? but i suggest for those who want to spend the money on they y-pipe should also bore out their exhaust ports and throttle bodies. i see that price as practical, but dont' see too much potential in it because the market is very limited..
Old 03-21-2001, 05:20 PM

20hp dyno proven, I'm in.

1500 is steep, lower would be nice.

I could swing it in 90 days, but no sooner cause I'll be closing on my new house in 30days...

Don, What other goodies are going to come out of your project. Because if I'm going tear down and install the headers, I would like to do other things at the same time. So what ya got...
Old 03-21-2001, 06:14 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

If you build it, they will come......

Originally posted by Dave B
Don-

Everyone-

Dave
Old 03-22-2001, 05:34 AM

Originally posted by Don in Texas
Don't get me wrong but I think **SOME** of you guys are missing the point.

Maybe I should have said "Extreme Enthusiasts"...If you are still at the "bolt-on" level , this may not be for you. If you are looking to add 20 hp at that level, don't buy these.

Those are the people I'm talking about.
Thats me...just not on my Maxima
Old 03-22-2001, 06:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

20 hp from a set of headers sounds good to me especially for a V-6. I can't afford the headers in 2-3 months but I could save up the money in the next 6 months. If the price goes down all the better.

I am leary of adding a supercharger or a turbo with 90k on my odometer. Reliability becomes an issue for me and keeping the motor NA should make it last longer.
Old 03-22-2001, 01:19 PM

I'm game for some nice headers!!!!

Originally posted by speedtrip
20 hp from a set of headers sounds good to me especially for a V-6. I can't afford the headers in 2-3 months but I could save up the money in the next 6 months. If the price goes down all the better.

I am leary of adding a supercharger or a turbo with 90k on my odometer. Reliability becomes an issue for me and keeping the motor NA should make it last longer.
Old 03-22-2001, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by skimax
hey i would be interested but for 1500 don't you think it should include the downpipe(y-pipe)? ugh!!!now there is too many things to buy(motor mounts, lsd, header, ...) but so little money! =o(
I think i can save you some money.. the LSD is for manuals only, far as i know. (Quaife, that is)

Old 03-22-2001, 11:47 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

i think the motor mount is for 5 speeds too!!
Old 03-23-2001, 12:55 AM

Heh, at least you dont have finals at 8am today! (can you say, no sleep?)