General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Advice for storing the Max

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 07:22 PM

Advice for storing the Max

Hey, just wondering if anyone out there has had to store their Max for 6 months or longer? If you have, what should I do to prepare my car for storage? I have to store it because I am leaving the country for a year. I know for one to change the oil before I put it in storage, what about gas...like how much should I leave in the tank and what additives would I put in the tank while it sits? If anyone has advice on this, please help me out. Thanks.

-Nick
Old 04-19-2004, 06:16 AM

I just finished storing my car since September. I was also concerned before so I talked to a good friend who sells high end cars (www.theurbangarage.com) on what the proper way to store was. This is the advice he recieved and passed on to me:

Gentlemen,

I have been enlightened on the appropriate precautions on how to properly preserve your investment and object of affection...

How to store your car.

1. Change the oil and filter.
2. Full tank of gas with fuel preservative.
3. Run car briefly.
4. Remove spark plugs and give each cylinder a few squirts of oil, turn engine over (still with plugs out), and reinstall spark plugs.
5. Disconnect or remove battery.
6. Remove air filter, cover intake with tin foil and reinstall air filter.
7. Plug exhaust with tennis ball or tin foil and elastic. (objective for steps 5 & 6 is to block as much moisture from getting into the engine.)
8. Raise the car and block under suspension points.
9. Over inflate tires (eg. reg press 28 psi fill to 35 psi) to maintain pressure over the year, mainly winter months.
10. Leave windows partially open (for air circulation) *no baking soda boxes, they trap moisture like a sponge.
11. Lock
12. Cover with a BREATHABLE cover.
13. Say your goodbye and wait…

This process was given to me by an old car pro. Pass it on.

I hope this helps you! I did not follow this as extensively as it suggests and it all worked out for me so I'm sure you will be fine.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by ja1997max
I just finished storing my car since September. I was also concerned before so I talked to a good friend who sells high end cars (www.theurbangarage.com) on what the proper way to store was. This is the advice he recieved and passed on to me:

Gentlemen,

I have been enlightened on the appropriate precautions on how to properly preserve your investment and object of affection...

How to store your car.

1. Change the oil and filter.
2. Full tank of gas with fuel preservative.
3. Run car briefly.
4. Remove spark plugs and give each cylinder a few squirts of oil, turn engine over (still with plugs out), and reinstall spark plugs.
5. Disconnect or remove battery.
6. Remove air filter, cover intake with tin foil and reinstall air filter.
7. Plug exhaust with tennis ball or tin foil and elastic. (objective for steps 5 & 6 is to block as much moisture from getting into the engine.)
8. Raise the car and block under suspension points.
9. Over inflate tires (eg. reg press 28 psi fill to 35 psi) to maintain pressure over the year, mainly winter months.
10. Leave windows partially open (for air circulation) *no baking soda boxes, they trap moisture like a sponge.
11. Lock
12. Cover with a BREATHABLE cover.
13. Say your goodbye and wait…

This process was given to me by an old car pro. Pass it on.

I hope this helps you! I did not follow this as extensively as it suggests and it all worked out for me so I'm sure you will be fine.

Hey, thanks man...I appreciate the help