General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Problems with Cattman coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2001, 03:58 PM

I've had my Cattman coilovers for about a year and a half now. About 4 months ago my drivers side rear coilover broke. What I mean by this is that the strut rod on the coilover snapped on the weld right by the thread on the top. I had to purchase another coilover from Cattman to replace it. Now just yesterday my other rear coilover did the same thing! It was a good thing I bought an extra rear coilover just in case because now I need it. I hope the new coilovers that I bought from Cattman don't do the same thing or else it could get costly. The way I drive has nothing to do with the coilovers snapping becuase I drive my car very carefully because of the high cost of my tires and my low clearance in the front of my car. I was just wondering if the same thing happened to anyone else who has the Cattman coilovers or do I just have bad luck?? Any response is appreciated
Old 03-23-2001, 06:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Contact Brian directly. Could be the welds were bad on your two particular strut mounts. I dunno.
Old 03-23-2001, 06:22 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

thats happened to ZTYmax before.
imho. $1200 for coilovers and it snaps? not a good thing.
Old 03-23-2001, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Chebosto
thats happened to ZTYmax before.
imho. $1200 for coilovers and it snaps? not a good thing.
isn't it 1600??? No warranty?? koni and tok's have lifetime.
Old 03-23-2001, 07:21 PM
MAC

here's the deal

I've had cattmans on my car for almost two years now. Approx 65000 miles worth.

I've bent a front strut. Both rear struts have snapped where the welds are (like your's). And destroyed a rear coilover sleeve and components in the process.

The reason your rear struts broke is because of wrong strut settings on the kyb. The spring uncompresses itself very quickly after a bump. If you set your strut to a high setting (like above 4 or 5), the strut piston does not release quick enough. The result is that your spring is actually working against your strut, pulling it apart.

I figured this out only after much trial and error. I think Brian should have include some directions or cautions w/ the set up. But since there isn't, we the consumer is left to guess!

Try to leave your rears on a setting of 3, or 4 at the highest and you should be ok. I've had mine on setting 3 since I figured this out and all is well so far. Of course this is for normal roads w/ lots of bumps and stuff. If you were actually on a track where it is smooth, a much higher setting is ok.

The rate of drop has a lot to do w/ it too. Think of how much more the piston has to uncompress when the car is dropped a lot vs a "normal" drop of say 1.5 to 2". My car is dropped 3"+ so I understand the struts has to work beyond what they're suppose to do. So I don't ***** when stuff breaks because I subjected them to the torture!

Hope this helps.
Ming
Old 03-23-2001, 07:28 PM

Re: here's the deal

Hey dude, thanx for the help. I just hopr this doesn't happen again with the replacements that I had to buy. But the only thing was that I hardly set the struts to a stiff setting, they're usually on 2 or 3. I was trying to think of any alternatives to for the rear coilovers and all I could think of was the ground controls, but then I wouldn't be able to have the adjustability to the ride like the Cattmans.