General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I need some new calipers (or rebuilt) where can I find a good price?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 06:01 PM

I need some new calipers (or rebuilt) where can I find a good price?

Looks like both my rear calipers are sticking, and I don't think the fronts are in much better shape, so I am in need of some replacements. Anyone know of a place to get some for a decent price? I know they're pretty expensive if you get them new from nissan, so I'd rather not go that route, even with all the maxima.org discounts...

Also, for the fronts, is there any relativly inexpensive upgrade? 300zx calipers maybe?
Old 05-11-2004, 06:11 PM
Custom User Title...

well i paid up the butt because i had to have my car the next day and had no other way around paying to get them replaced. big mistake!

anyways, everyone always recomends autozone and their price is amazing! i haven't heard one complaint about them and if the price is right, i'd go to them if i ever have to again. (which i hope not to - knocks on wood)
Old 05-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just got a front set the other day. $38 each (with core returned). Limited lifetime warrantee. You can't beat that! They even had them in stock for same day pickup. I selected on the internet and then sent the "shopping list" to my local store.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:41 PM

^ From autozone?.. or..
Old 05-12-2004, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mishmosh
Just got a front set the other day. $38 each (with core returned). Limited lifetime warrantee.
Yeah Autozone. Sorry.

Picked up a pair of Aimco rotors while I was there and got Raybestos QuietStop PG Plus at RockAuto ($42!).

So far so good.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:00 PM

Thanks guys.. I ended up going with rockauto.com They ended up being pretty much the same price as autozone... the fronts cost a little less, and the rears cost a little more, so it evened out. Autozone was totally out of stock on the rears with no ETA, so that obviously wasn't gunna work.

I got new pads also, Hawk HPS for the fronts, and raybestos QS's for the rear, all from redlinemax.com.

One last question, since I'll be using brand new pads, it would be advised to have my rotors resurfaced, correct? I think the fronts need it anyways...
Old 05-12-2004, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by ch13f
Thanks guys.. I ended up going with rockauto.com They ended up being pretty much the same price as autozone... the fronts cost a little less, and the rears cost a little more, so it evened out. Autozone was totally out of stock on the rears with no ETA, so that obviously wasn't gunna work.

I got new pads also, Hawk HPS for the fronts, and raybestos QS's for the rear, all from redlinemax.com.

One last question, since I'll be using brand new pads, it would be advised to have my rotors resurfaced, correct? I think the fronts need it anyways...
I thought I needed rear calipers but didn't. But the best price I found on the rears was from advance auto, just under $80. I like OEM front and rear pads, never any squeal, even w/o the hardware kit or shims.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ch13f
You will hear differing opinions on resurfacing. Personally, I will never have a rotor resurfaced. i will just as well get new rotors for not much more. Resurfacing just makes the rotor thinner and more prone to warp further. If your rotors are still good, prep the surface with a fine grit sandpaper and leave it at that. If you have more than 75k miles on the rotors, you may be better off getting new ones. Also, not sure if HPS includes shims like RaybestosQS but you may need a new set if yours are rusted out. Nothing is worse than redoing a brake job just 10k miles later because of warped rotors, squeels, etc. Do it right the first time. I would definitely use CRC Brake Disc Quiet on the backings to minimize any chance of squeel.