General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

No more "Check out my website" "I updated my pics" etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 07:51 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

No more "Check out my website" "I updated my pics" etc.

IMO, the subject says it all.

MIKE

EDIT: my intention is not to single out anyone but to voice my opinion. This has the potential of becoming a flame war so I'm asking a moderator to lock this thread. Just had to get my initial post off my chest.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:53 AM

w3rd
Old 05-23-2004, 08:10 AM
Bacon Lover

I'd say this is probably one of the causes of our bandwith problems...
Old 05-23-2004, 08:28 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

i don't see what the problem is here. Well, it does get annoying if we have to click on a cardomain link.... just direct link it so less work for us.

more than half of us don't use sigs anymore because you have to click on that option everytime you post, so I don't see what's wrong with posting "updated" pics a few times in a year.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'll add to this.....

No more "What car should I buy? A WRX or a ???" threads either. I've been really tolerant of these threads but I swear if I see another one, it's getting deleted.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:58 AM

there should be a sticky which is dedicated to new pics that are direct linked from wherever.

no new threads after that ...

jm2c
Old 05-23-2004, 09:00 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by slammed95
Updated pics of your car don't help the maxima community in any way.

Sure it does, it gives people ideas. It is much better than whining/complaining threads like these. And this is posted in the wrong forum anyways, if you want to get so technical about it!
Old 05-23-2004, 09:01 AM

I agree with Rowan, have a sticky where people can LINK to there new pics...
Old 05-23-2004, 09:41 AM
teddibear703

maybe when you do major upgrades that are noticeable, paint bodykit, etc, but not the i washed my car topics or the i lowered my car topics...
Old 05-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by nadir_s
i don't see what the problem is here. Well, it does get annoying if we have to click on a cardomain link.... just direct link it so less work for us.
more than half of us don't use sigs anymore because you have to click on that option everytime you post, so I don't see what's wrong with posting "updated" pics a few times in a year.
Try.........ing........not..........to..........re ..........ply

Screw it, didn't work.
Here's the problem. We have A LOT of members, if a good majority of those members update their site a few times a year, that equals to 4-5 post a week "Check out my website" "I updated my pics"

As you stated our sig pic is enable. Take the time, make a decent size sig pic, click the option when you post, when others see your sig pic and they like what they see, they will visit your site. If you build it they will come.

Originally Posted by nadir_s
Sure it does, it gives people ideas. It is much better than whining/complaining threads like these. And this is posted in the wrong forum anyways, if you want to get so technical about it!
I will give you that one, sure this post probably doesn't belong in this section but can you honestly say all the "Check out my website" "I updated my pics" post belongs here also. We have a detailing section, tires/wheel, audio section why not post it there.

MIKE
Old 05-23-2004, 10:51 AM

I'm going to have to disagree. First of all, take a look at the threads with people posting pictures. They are some of the most highly viewed, and sometimes highly active threads we get around here. The only thing that beats them are technical breakthroughs like krismax's de-k intake, or a new brake system, etc. Flame wars also will typically break them, but the mod's are doing a good job of locking that down.

It comes down to this, a lot of the members here are newbies, and they want to get some ideas, and everyone likes some eye-candy. Since generally nobody is "attaching" pics in these threads but rather linking to them directly, there is not really any bandwidth issues for the board.

I personally get lots of PM's and emails asking me to post pics, people just seem to like my photography work and use shots as backgrounds or whatever. I don't see any harm in that.

BUT, if enough people are annoyed by these types of threads, perhaps we should create a seperate forum, ie a "Maxima Pictures" forum where people can go post their run-of-the-mill "Updated my pics" threads. There is far too much activity in those threads to confine them inside one sticky.

My $0.02
Old 05-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by teddibear703
maybe when you do major upgrades that are noticeable, paint bodykit, etc, but not the i washed my car topics or the i lowered my car topics...

i can agree w/this. I only had 1 "updated pics" post when i got my bodykit and rims.

Many Maxima enthusiasts are on here to get ideas and to generate goals to accomplish with their car. Once something is accomplished, opinions may be wanted from others viewing the org. Like teddibear stated, i agree w/ the major mods done, not the "just washed my car and felt like it" threads. (generally speaking).

I mean, its "pointless" to have these threads to floss our cars, but then again everyone in this thread has a sig pic. I will agree w/the "waste of server space" once Maxima.org takes the donation i've been willing to offer but they "cannot accept."

With a seperate forum for pictures only, i dont think adaquate opinions will not be given to those who deserve. If these types of threads show up in the main forums and you dont agree w/it, just dont replay and let the thread die.

I think we have to worry more about the newbie ricer questions that gets created 4x in the same forum.

Just my .02 as well
Old 05-23-2004, 12:22 PM
LithiuMax

Originally Posted by hakk97se
I'm going to have to disagree. First of all, take a look at the threads with people posting pictures. They are some of the most highly viewed, and sometimes highly active threads we get around here. The only thing that beats them are technical breakthroughs like krismax's de-k intake, or a new brake system, etc. Flame wars also will typically break them, but the mod's are doing a good job of locking that down.

It comes down to this, a lot of the members here are newbies, and they want to get some ideas, and everyone likes some eye-candy. Since generally nobody is "attaching" pics in these threads but rather linking to them directly, there is not really any bandwidth issues for the board.

I personally get lots of PM's and emails asking me to post pics, people just seem to like my photography work and use shots as backgrounds or whatever. I don't see any harm in that.

BUT, if enough people are annoyed by these types of threads, perhaps we should create a seperate forum, ie a "Maxima Pictures" forum where people can go post their run-of-the-mill "Updated my pics" threads. There is far too much activity in those threads to confine them inside one sticky.

My $0.02

Old 05-23-2004, 02:20 PM
VTEC This!

we need a totally seperate forum for a gallery for images, like on nasioc.com, a nice section for different car colors, etc etc its very well done. but im sure we'll never see it here
Old 05-23-2004, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by jessa
we need a totally seperate forum for a gallery for images, like on nasioc.com, a nice section for different car colors, etc etc its very well done. but im sure we'll never see it here

I posted this suggestion a long time ago in the feedback forum. . . no one replied. I think a Forum specifically for pictures, and a sticky thread for each color: "Sterling Mist" "Rosewood" "Super Black" "Crimson Blaze" "Concord Mist" "Neptune Blue" - etc. etc. Other forums have this and it seems to work. But its all up to the admins of Maxima.org
Old 05-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Always sunny in philly

sounds like a good idea now that i think about it.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:56 PM
I miss the .org!

I disagree. Some other forums like for E46 and 350Z's have dedicated galleries where pics are listed and categorized.

These pics are very important for newbies and OG's to see how different mods/colors/etc... look. It inspires others and it's just nice to have.

Since Maxima.org doesn't have that gallery stuff, of course people will be posting threads about it. I agree the ones that show stock cars are pointless, but ones that show different mods are good.

Bottom Line: Maxima.org should add a similar gallery.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:02 PM

The problem runs much deeper than not having a picture gallery. You have to have involved site administrators first...
Old 05-23-2004, 09:46 PM

I don't know about this....we have to think about what this forum is really about? Is this a forum to help other members out with problems with their cars or a social place to talk about, show off their cars?
It's probably a little of both. We can't really stop this from happening now. It's like posting a "What kind of (insert performance mod) is the best?" thread. Just like said before most of the noobs that are here on the forum just want to see ideas and can't be helped. It's always going to be here.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:23 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by CandiMan
...This has the potential of becoming a flame war...

See what you've done started, Mike??? LOL
Old 05-24-2004, 02:08 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
See what you've done started, Mike??? LOL

You know what's funny. When I wrote that yesterday I really felt the potential was there, but a day later and after reading all the post I see everyone been pretty cool and kept their opinions constructive. Ultimately I believe I'm entitle to voice my opinion just as long as I dont offend, curse, swear at anyone. As nadir_s said I could have put this in another section, so my bad. The admins of this site will truely have the last word and decide what to do. But the "flossing" of ones car has to be check, or as stated make another section for pics.

MIKE
Old 05-24-2004, 04:23 AM
no more maxima...

I agree to a certain extent. I agree that people need to stop posting "Check out my cardomain"...and you go there and see 3 new pictures of some painted ricey piece on their car, etc etc.

However if someone has just recently added a bunch of mods, I think they have a right to create a post and post the actual pictures WITHIN the tread....not a link to a ******* cardomain page.

Also I fail to see how pictures within a thread will take up bandwidth if they are being hosted elsewhere.

I understand your frustration though. For every good thread, 50 bulls.hit threads exist (I may be exaggerating this..).
Old 05-24-2004, 05:38 AM

F*CK your bandwith. I want to see pics d@mnit. I do hate when people post totally stock or P.O.S. pics or check out my homepage threads!! We all know what stock maximas look like.
I already suggested the idea of having a "camera" image next to threads that include pics, excluding sigs. We could also get rid of sig pics, they are pointless, Im tires of seeing the same d@mn car sigs over and over, plus most people have totally stupid sigs like mine........
Old 05-24-2004, 05:49 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

my only prob is when people post "look at my new clear corners" than 50 pictures of close ups and wideangles of their clear corners on the car...WTF? or people post pics of an intake or basic **** like that...big deal, we've seen 100 million intakes on these cars.

on the other hand though, this is the "General" forum and random pic posts shouldn't really shunned...so how can these posts be denied?

and although I appreciate the changes/improvements made over the years by the admins and I know they have lives outside of Maxima.org, i have to agree with IwANnAMaX96 somewhat that the only changes will ONLY come with much more noticable admin involvement on all aspects of this site.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:37 AM
UCF Lexus

I'm Jesse James biatch!
Old 05-24-2004, 06:39 AM

i think the problem is we just out did ourselves and theres nothing left to do. if these pics were new and ingenious we love them and give them 5 stars but if its the same old thing,stillen kit,s/c clear corners etc it gets boring. but i personally appreciate a pic every now and then cause they give me good ideas. just maybe not the i just washed my car pics.
but i think with all the pics,this is what turned our cars into one of the hottest cars to own.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:45 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by slammed95
Updated pics of your car don't help the maxima community in any way.

i agree. You get new rims thats cool but a pic last week with nice rims will be the same this week with car washed and having same rims. Put it on your cardomain but dont let everyone know you washed your car. UNless you used different stuff to wash car, then u can post it in the detailling forum to show how it came out.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:12 AM
I need a truck

I'm getting new rims at the end of the week and I'm telling you now, that I'm going to take some pics and make a thread out of it
Old 05-27-2004, 06:03 AM
is invisible

"How much is my car worth?"

"Is it worth more with mods?"

Well, I'm glad you leaned how to use the internet, now do some research: www.edmunds.com
www.nadaguides.com
www.kbb.com

In most cases, mods do NOT add to the value of the car. Most likely you will have to part it out; figure out the value of each mod based on how much you paid vs. the age & condition.
How did you figure how much to pay for the car in the first place?
Old 05-27-2004, 06:10 AM
Shiver me timbers.

Originally Posted by CoolMax
"Is it worth more with mods?"

Well, I'm glad you leaned how to use the internet, now do some research: www.edmunds.com
www.nadaguides.com
www.kbb.com

In most cases, mods do NOT add to the value of the car. Most likely you will have to part it out; figure out the value of each mod based on how much you paid vs. the age & condition.
How did you figure how much to pay for the car in the first place?

Yeah, and no more posts from wannabe-Maxima owners.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:52 AM
Ford Only.

I do not see any problem with people posting "look at my car" threads. Sometimes you bust your **** to fix up your car and just like to show other people what fixed up Maximas are out there. Plus, not everyone has seen his site, so it draws attention to it from people who have not seen it.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:16 PM
living out of a maxima...

I don't really see the big deal with these threads. Do I post them myself? Nope, don't care to. Do I read them? Nope, they don't really interest me. Do they bother me? No, not really. And definitely not as much as all the damn "which intake is best" and "should I mod my car" threads.

I do really like the idea of a gallery though. What is the holdup on this idea... just administrative support?
Old 05-27-2004, 06:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just want to say, as a kinda newbie,, that when i first joined here, I loved looking at all the pics.. got great ideas and saw stuff that i learned i didnt like on our cars...The best part for me has to be the MOD faqs. Honestly, I had no idea how to post pics here or cardomain at first. So, I made a cardomain site and posted the 'dreaded' check out my **** link to get some votes and some comments from the crew here..,, next day, i had 234 hits on my site... so there must be some interest in seeing pics..Is this a site for technical **** only, or is it a general place for 'maxima + I30 enthusiasts'?..and what is the difference between posting a link to a cardomain site, and posting a 'direct link'... someone please explain the direct link thing. Anyway,, Great place,,if i see a post or pics that im not interested in, i dont waste my time clicking it....pretty simple solution to me...

peace
Old 05-27-2004, 07:03 PM
living out of a maxima...

They mean posting a link to the cardomain site, versus actually posting the links to the pictures in [ IMG ] tags so they display right in the thread.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:19 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

If its a new mod , that we will enjoy seeing, then go for it. Please keep your ..." I just got : Clear corners...Tint....Piaa Bulbs...etc " threads to yourself. No one cares about your tint, since most of have it. No one cares about your clear corners either.....That is NOT a mod . Stop it with the " Intake " threads......we're all tired of them !
Old 05-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Not to offer a convergent point of view, but these sort of posts (the ones advertisinf cardomain updates) are certainly no more of a bandwidth waste than 4127 posts asking what spark plugs to use, what the 0528465 CEL code means, or the where to buy a cheap KS.

I actually LIKE seeing that someone has updeted their car, but that is just me.
Candiman makes a good point that it CAN easily get out of control.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:57 AM

most other forums just have a sticky or a seperate forum fot ppl to post pictures of their car... i say just add a sticky to each *gen* forum and settle this once and for all
Old 05-28-2004, 02:51 AM

Don't you guys get it?? How do you expect there to be a picture gallery implemented if the site isn't even accepting donations? There are other issues to be resolved, this being the least of them.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Here is a real easy way to avoid all those topics you don't like. Press the scroll down button or page down button on your keyboard.

People like to post pictures of their cars. I posted pictures of my car all the time and no one seemed to have problems with it. I wish people posted as many pictures on the G35 boards as people do here. It is a nice way to find diversity and see what people are doing to their own car.

Make a "Showroom" forum and be done with it if its a big issue..

No harm or rudeness intended, just making a point.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:06 AM
wat

If I want to see pictures, i'll go to www.cardomain.com and look at the possibilities that exist for my 2002 Maxima. Cardomain is a great site. It allows you to search for EXACTLY your car and see what others are doing with them. I always felt these 'Look at my new PIAA wiper blades' threads with 50 wide angle pictures of some stupid a.s.s. wiper blades with slow motion close ups of the beautiful blades in action are a waste of time, space and just plain Even though I rarely make my way out of O.T., I thought the regular forums were for technical discussions, pictures of installs that matter, organizing meets, buying and selling things? I mean, pics of the new Mustang, "Kill threads", what car should I buy?, I saw a Maxima on t.v., my Maxima was stolen by some Cicadas in a gang...those threads are pointless and I thought had no place here. If you guys want to post pictures, I can post some pictures...and they will be WAY more entertaining than your Yosemite Sam mudflaps.

Quick Reply: No more "Check out my website" "I updated my pics" etc.