General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Cattman Gen 2 Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001, 09:09 PM

I wrote to Cattman about the gen 2 coilovers cause I'm seriously considering a set of these. this is what he had to say:

I don't have the sort of picture I'll need to really illustrate what these involve and how they go together, but I've attached a pic of the prototype overtower camber plates. The strut, threaded sleeve and lower spring perch are basically the same as before, but just about everything else has changed. Front mounts have a needle bearing interface with the strut hats for rotational smoothness, and the weight is distributed on a semi-hemispheric hardened steel ring instead of the teflon monoballs. The rear mounts come up from underneath the strut tower opening, (and now include teflon monoballs like in the front), but raise the top mounting point by almost 2", eliminating the possibility that the struts can bottom out, front or rear, no matter how far the car is lowered.

We've really put a lot of development into these, I've looked around and they have the advantage on anything out there in this price range and in terms of the technology employed.

Brian C. Catts
Cattman Performance

I like the "eliminating the possibility that the struts can bottom out, front or rear, no matter how far the car is lowered." I am all for the "totally slammed" look, and as a result, will probably sell/auction off my brand new non-used Stillen front lip cause no doubt I will break it off in no time. I replyed him back with a few more questions but havent got a response yet.

While I'm at it, I'm also thinkig about replacing whatever bushings I can with Energy Suspension. My goal here is to make the Maxima handle like its on rails. The other 1/2 the fun in addition to the 0-60 and 1/4 mile factor...

I used to drive a lowered Camry with Intrax and KYB and I loved the "gokartness ride". It was truly alot of fun.

I have the insurance money so cost is not really the issue and I'm sure I'll be happy with these. I wouldnt have to go through the pain of (I lowered that camry myself) using spring compressors and in this case, cutting apart the front struts. So here, I will be able to keep the stock assemblies all intact for storage, then when I go to sell the car, easily replace everythign to stock.

However, I'm also about to buy a motorcycle, so it might set me back, but then again, if I never had the insurance money, i would be at the same position....

Anybody here have the Gen 2 coilovers yet?