General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Look What I Got! - Warpspeed Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 05:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My Y-pipe came in yesterday so I took some pictures. I also got my replacement antenna from Courtesy.
I thought the Y-pipe would be more shinny, but oh well. The welds look good and all the flanges appear good too. It's pretty light.

Click here to see all the pictures
http://www.voicenet.com/~breaux/car/ypipe/ypipe.html
Old 03-28-2001, 05:44 AM

broken links on page
Old 03-28-2001, 05:53 AM

Originally posted by VQracer
broken links on page
Try it now.
Old 03-28-2001, 05:55 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

mmmmmmm....can't wait to get mine...let us know what you think after getting it on....
Old 03-28-2001, 08:03 AM

wow, that thing looks like some guy in his back yard made it...looking at the welds. Looks like it flows good though.
Old 03-28-2001, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by SCCA Solo2
wow, that thing looks like some guy in his back yard made it...looking at the welds. Looks like it flows good though.
Yeah it's not the nicest looking thing, but who cares it just sits under the car. Hopefully everything will fit well and all the welds will hold, besides my friend owns a fence company so he can weld or repair anything.
Old 03-28-2001, 08:17 AM
Administrator

does the antenna control the y pipe?
Old 03-28-2001, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
does the antenna control the y pipe?
It's a new specially designed high, powered Antenna. With that and the Y-pipe I'm looking to gain 50hp. The antenna receives commands from outer space that recalibrates the air flow of the exhaust and....oh who am I kidding?
I just took a picture of that too because it came in.
Old 03-28-2001, 11:28 AM

You are going to like the WSP SS y-pipe. Sure, it's not the best looking, but how often does someone take a look under your car? Exactly! All I care is that it fits good and perform like it should. I paid $75 at a local tuner shop to get it installed because I didn't have the tools. Then, I found out a fellow N.O. Maxima buddy(sinewave) just bought some new tools and I could have went to his place to get it installed. Doh! Oh well, it's ok though. It's kind of loud, especially at lower rpms, there's this droning sound. I have a universal exhaust, which might add to why it's louder now. I'm looking into the Apex-i WS cat-back exhaust; maybe that will quiet things down a bit. Dan from WSP said in a post(under 4th gen. forum) that the sound should die down after several hundred miles. I better start driving, huh?! I also resetted my ECU last night. Someone in a post told me that I had to do that if I want to get the most out of my y-pipe. However, I have to drive several hundred miles until the system get adjusted to the new flow. I have no complaints, I love to drive, so it's no problem for me. Give me more reason to go out driving. There's definitely a difference you can feel from the y-pipe, I don't know really know how much of a difference because I haven't had the chance to really test it out as I wanted to. Besides, from what Dan said, I won't feel the full potential of this y-pipe until after several hundred miles of driving. For the rest of you guys that will get your WSP y-pipe soon, congrats because I'm sure you'll like it as much as I do.
Old 03-28-2001, 11:38 AM

Stillen and Cattman are probably more expensive because some of the cost is 'finishing' or 'polishing' the pipe.
Heck, you only get to see it when you install it!
just my guess.
Old 03-28-2001, 11:44 AM
ajaffee

Originally posted by bigtexan7
Stillen and Cattman are probably more expensive because some of the cost is 'finishing' or 'polishing' the pipe.
Heck, you only get to see it when you install it!
just my guess.
Actually, Cattman is more expensive because they use 304 stainless -- Warpspeed uses 409. Somewhere on this board there is a link to a site that describes the differences between the two. Basically, 304 has a few properties that make it better for automotive use. However, unless you live in extraordinarily harsh conditions, 409 is fine.
Stillen??? My guess is your paying for the name as much as the product.
As far as looks, who really cares, unless you're showing your car.

Old 03-28-2001, 11:55 AM
Wustylez

Originally posted by SCCA Solo2
That is what I thought, looks Cheap to me, anywayz I am sure it has the same performance gain as Cattman and Stillen but I can't stand that kind of look especially the welding parts..orgggg ugly

I rather go with SS Cattman Y-pipe with 100 more...

Tim

Old 03-28-2001, 03:49 PM

Lucky basterd thats what I want
Old 03-28-2001, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by ajaffee

Actually, Cattman is more expensive because they use 304 stainless -- Warpspeed uses 409. Somewhere on this board there is a link to a site that describes the differences between the two. Basically, 304 has a few properties that make it better for automotive use. However, unless you live in extraordinarily harsh conditions, 409 is fine.
Stillen??? My guess is your paying for the name as much as the product.
As far as looks, who really cares, unless you're showing your car.
That 304 is better for automotive use than 409 is debatable. I'm pretty sure it's not, the finish just looks nicer and if you're after looks then the WSP is not for you. IMO 409 is without doubt superior to 304 for automotive use, it is a harder alloy and less likely to develope cracks from stress and vibration.

I installed my WSP pipe last night and it fit like a glove, the two front flanges lined up perfectly, no bending required. The only install glitch is where it attaches to the catalytic converter. I had to bend the OEM bracket a little to get the cat and y pipe flanges to line up closer to the center of the car's underbody recess.

The pipe is not a thing of beauty but given it's excellent fit and the fact that I won't be seeing it I have no issue with the finish. The welds look good. The only thing I would prefer about it was if it was made out of 14 BWG instead of 16, but then the cost would be a little higher.

I noticed one thing on the pipe portion just before the flex piece. There are some marks on it which are probably the result of the pipe moving in the holding device while being in the mandrel bender or at some other point in fabrication. These are a series of scores which run perpendicular to the pipe. They are light and should not impact it's life.
Old 03-28-2001, 05:14 PM

warpspeed y pipe

You are correct about the marks, mandrel bending does place superfical marks on the pipe that will have no bearing on longevity. We know some people will still buy the Cattman pipe even though we feel that ours is superior in several key aspects. Number one is: We don't butt weld our pipes, some of our competitors pipes have up to six butt welds. Ask any welder which type of weld is the weakest. Also, we custon mandrel bend our pipes. Look at our competitors pipes, they look like (to Dallas and I) that they are made from stock 90 elbows that are butt welded together.Our pipes have less welding. Just a thought. We are happy most people like them, and are respectful of ones right to choose. After all this IS America, competition is good for prices and evolution of products.One other thouoght, how many of the people who complain about the way the welds look are welders? These pipes are MIG welded, not TIG welded like other pipes. Alot of welders say MIG is best for strength. FYI

Dan WSP
Old 03-28-2001, 05:21 PM

IMO, I think it would be better to have one that isn't so polished. . . How different does the replacement y-pipe look from the stock? I would think if they aren't too different, and the pipe has the "rustic" look, then it would be less noticed, and so if someone were to look under your car, it may not be noticed. although, this is only my opionion.
Old 03-28-2001, 09:58 PM
Wustylez

Re: warpspeed y pipe

Originally posted by Dan 93 SE
You are correct about the marks, mandrel bending does place superfical marks on the pipe that will have no bearing on longevity. We know some people will still buy the Cattman pipe even though we feel that ours is superior in several key aspects. Number one is: We don't butt weld our pipes, some of our competitors pipes have up to six butt welds. Ask any welder which type of weld is the weakest. Also, we custon mandrel bend our pipes. Look at our competitors pipes, they look like (to Dallas and I) that they are made from stock 90 elbows that are butt welded together.Our pipes have less welding. Just a thought. We are happy most people like them, and are respectful of ones right to choose. After all this IS America, competition is good for prices and evolution of products.One other thouoght, how many of the people who complain about the way the welds look are welders? These pipes are MIG welded, not TIG welded like other pipes. Alot of welders say MIG is best for strength. FYI

Dan WSP

Really, then how come HKS uses TIG welding on all their exhaust system and headers and they look damn good????

thanks
Tim

Old 03-28-2001, 10:06 PM

Re: warpspeed y pipe

Originally posted by Dan 93 SE

Dan WSP
i thot tig welders are for aluminum? so if u used a tig welder on a SS wouldn't u havea slight problem??
Old 03-28-2001, 10:44 PM

Re: Re: warpspeed y pipe

Originally posted by mingo

i thot tig welders are for aluminum? so if u used a tig welder on a SS wouldn't u havea slight problem??

that is not true. I do a little welding and have had several classes on welding and TIG is used for many welds because it is probably the easiest type of welding to perform and it produces the prettiest welds. It is an excellent type of welding even though of the four types I prefer MIG. Butt joints are the weakest type of welding but they are perfectly strong enough for this application.
Old 03-28-2001, 11:19 PM
STFU n00b!

Re: Re: warpspeed y pipe

Originally posted by Wustylez

Really, then how come HKS uses TIG welding on all their exhaust system and headers and they look damn good????

thanks
Tim

Looks and performance are two different things. TIG welding produces a clean, smooth weld that looks very nice and is pretty versatile in the applications it can be used for.
MIG welding may not be as pretty, but it's a little better for these applications, and obviously these pipes are made to perform, not look pretty.

Now if you want something pretty, you can pull out a buffer and some rubbing compound and make 'em nice and shiny... I might do that just for the helluvit and see what happens.
Old 03-29-2001, 07:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: warpspeed y pipe

Originally posted by Matt93GXE

Looks and performance are two different things. TIG welding produces a clean, smooth weld that looks very nice and is pretty versatile in the applications it can be used for.
MIG welding may not be as pretty, but it's a little better for these applications, and obviously these pipes are made to perform, not look pretty.

Now if you want something pretty, you can pull out a buffer and some rubbing compound and make 'em nice and shiny... I might do that just for the helluvit and see what happens.
While you are under there, you might as well try polishing/chrome the whole underside of the car ala the lower riders.
Old 03-29-2001, 08:57 AM
ajaffee

Originally posted by plrod Black 95 SE

That 304 is better for automotive use than 409 is debatable. I'm pretty sure it's not, the finish just looks nicer and if you're after looks then the WSP is not for you. IMO 409 is without doubt superior to 304 for automotive use, it is a harder alloy and less likely to develope cracks from stress and vibration.

Damn - I wish I could find that link that descibed the differences. It wasn't a link to an automtive site, but to a site that has to do with the different types of steel stainless and non. At that web-site, it said that 304 is more resistant to rust and wear then 409, and it is preferred for automotive uses.
Now, that's not to say that the website didn't have incorrect info.
BTW, why do you say 409 is superior to 304? Where did you hear this?

Old 03-29-2001, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by ajaffee

Damn - I wish I could find that link that descibed the differences. It wasn't a link to an automtive site, but to a site that has to do with the different types of steel stainless and non. At that web-site, it said that 304 is more resistant to rust and wear then 409, and it is preferred for automotive uses.
Now, that's not to say that the website didn't have incorrect info.
BTW, why do you say 409 is superior to 304? Where did you hear this?
I posted this link before here it is again
http://www.ssina.com/student.html
Old 03-29-2001, 10:01 AM
ajaffee

Originally posted by breaux124

Thanks, Bryan.

Old 03-29-2001, 10:04 AM
Wustylez

Originally posted by breaux124

Therefore, Cattman is the winner here..no wonder Warspeed pipe looks so ugly cause it can not be easily welded.

Tim

Old 03-29-2001, 10:17 AM
Administrator

If Cattman is the winner for you.. then pay the extra and get yourself a nice and pretty pipe.. I mean. I don't have enough fingers to count how many times i have turned my car on the side to show people how nice and pretty my pipe is..

Therefore, Cattman is the winner here..no wonder Warspeed pipe looks so ugly cause it can not be easily welded.

Tim
Old 03-29-2001, 10:24 AM
OG :)

Tim
Wooho, shiney downpipe. Chalk up that moral victory dude
Old 03-29-2001, 10:47 AM
ajaffee

Bottom line is that the Cattman looks better, welds easier, and will probably last longer. However, as I said before, unless you live in an extraordinarily harsh climate, or you show your car, the WarpSpeed pipe is fine.
If both pipes were comparably priced, I would without a doubt get the Cattman. But when I get my pipe shortly, Warpspeed it will be.

I'd be curious to listen to a Cattman, Warpspeeda and Stillen side-by-side. See what the differences in sound are. Just a thought.

Old 03-29-2001, 10:49 AM

It's so simple yet so complex, it's the same as flipping your tag to show rather it's Prada or Kenneth Cole, both are good but one u just pay more for a name than the other...even tho both a are of good quality. Im personally going WSP I like supporting smaller company's with a motive for improvement...it seems like u gotta lick Mr. Cattman ***** himself for progress with a affordable price...i mean these are Max's, not BMW's....I know this is a money market but they took it upon themselves to try to make another route for us....so just cause it's not your cup of tea doesn't mean it's bad just don't buy it.....some of u sound like u need to be away from "shiney" objects due to the excitement it causes amongst u....but I wanna thank WSP for broadening our market...........keeps down such things as MONOPOLY"S (STILLEN, CATTMAN) now only if we can get a SC outta ya.......
Old 03-29-2001, 10:58 AM
ajaffee

Originally posted by RICOiz704
It's so simple yet so complex, it's the same as flipping your tag to show rather it's Prada or Kenneth Cole, both are good but one u just pay more for a name than the other...even tho both a are of good quality. Im personally going WSP I like supporting smaller company's with a motive for improvement...it seems like u gotta lick Mr. Cattman ***** himself for progress with a affordable price...i mean these are Max's, not BMW's....I know this is a money market but they took it upon themselves to try to make another route for us....so just cause it's not your cup of tea doesn't mean it's bad just don't buy it.....some of u sound like u need to be away from "shiney" objects due to the excitement it causes amongst u....but I wanna thank WSP for broadening our market...........keeps down such things as MONOPOLY"S (STILLEN, CATTMAN) now only if we can get a SC outta ya.......
Actually, Cattman is very small still. But I do wish he'd drop the price, even though it's a bit more expensive for him to make the it is for Warpspeed.

Old 03-29-2001, 11:28 AM

Stillen just suck. If only there's a company that make aftermarket Nissan products(Maxima products especially)specifically designed for our cars like Stillen, but maybe with a more reasonable price, I would think most people will just forget Stillen. Steve Millen must have a huge ego, huh? Problem is that there's no real competition for Stillen now.
Old 03-29-2001, 11:34 AM
Administrator

The Maxima is not Stillen's cash crop.. its the 300ZXTT .. they are not going to kiss the Maixma's butt untill more Enthusiast start showing them the money.. and you can't blame them ither..

Originally posted by Cumalot
Stillen just suck. If only there's a company that make aftermarket Nissan products(Maxima products especially)specifically designed for our cars like Stillen, but maybe with a more reasonable price, I would think most people will just forget Stillen. Steve Millen must have a huge ego, huh? Problem is that there's no real competition for Stillen now.
Old 03-29-2001, 11:42 AM

Cattman's prices are higher because 304SS is more exotic and expensive than 409SS.
I talked to a few local speed shop people and they have had no problems with pieces made of 409SS. They said it's more the choice of the manufacturer to decide which to use. 304SS is used more in Hot Rod and show cars.
Old 03-29-2001, 11:49 AM

Gimmie a break.....those damn V1's and V2's im sure they've made plenty off that...im not saying compared to anything else but I hate dumb azz people...u won't ever profit if u don't come to a comprimise, everything they sale to us they have it at the most HIGHEST cost because they can..due to lack of competition....so why they are playing hard ball someone else out there see's the market and will gladly capatilize and until ***** fu*& stillen... or STEALIN.....im sure in time they'll be droppin prices and visiting this forum more often with the lips puckered up
Old 03-29-2001, 12:01 PM
Wustylez

Originally posted by Cumalot
Guys why are you all complaning about not having enough aftermarket choice for our maximas??? Then why did you buy maxima to mod it in the first place?
you are comparing maximas to those Hondas ppl which have more than enough mod products for them to choose regardless of US, Japan, Taiwan..i think you have to think it this way, as manufacturer point of view, do we make a profit by making this product for this particular application? If not, then why bother make it to lose money??

I have tried to contact several reputable japanese tuner to make exhaust and coil-over system for maximas, and I have posted on forum asking ppl to participate to join the email list so we can show them how many of us are willing to pay their products..then guess what..OHLY ONE person emailed me and said he was interested??what's up? what happened to rest of you all, dont' you want JIC coil-over system over Cattman's? Don't you want JIC cat-Back system over overpriced HKS rear section exhaust system???I definitely want it, but if you don't give a h**p about participating and showing interests, then don't complain!!!

Something to think about! Or maybe you should have bought a HOnda when you want to complain about Stillen being the only monopoly company for aftermarket!!
Tim

Old 03-29-2001, 12:03 PM

Tim what's h**p?
Old 03-29-2001, 12:16 PM
Administrator

hey dude.. don't get mad at me..

the 10 or so Superchargers a year doesn't bring stillen as much money as they would like.. being that they have to buy them from vortech.. and only recently did people start buying superchargers.. 2 years ago.. that was a big thing if you had one.. they were hardly ever seen..

now you ask Phuong about the ZTT enthusiast and how they have been giving Stillen money since late 80's

Originally posted by RICOiz704
Gimmie a break.....those damn V1's and V2's im sure they've made plenty off that...im not saying compared to anything else but I hate dumb azz people...u won't ever profit if u don't come to a comprimise, everything they sale to us they have it at the most HIGHEST cost because they can..due to lack of competition....so why they are playing hard ball someone else out there see's the market and will gladly capatilize and until ***** fu*& stillen... or STEALIN.....im sure in time they'll be droppin prices and visiting this forum more often with the lips puckered up
Old 03-29-2001, 12:40 PM

Man Sprint Im not mad man im just asking out of curiousity man what is h**p...I have no problem agreeing to disagree...have a good one man........
Old 03-29-2001, 01:40 PM

flow

the short downpipe piece looks like it exits partly into the side of the collector.
Old 03-29-2001, 08:24 PM

Guys why are you all complaning about not having enough aftermarket choice for our maximas??? Then why did you buy maxima to mod it in the first place?
you are comparing maximas to those Hondas ppl which have more than enough mod products for them to choose regardless of US, Japan, Taiwan..i think you have to think it this way, as manufacturer point of view, do we make a profit by making this product for this particular application? If not, then why bother make it to lose money??

I have tried to contact several reputable japanese tuner to make exhaust and coil-over system for maximas, and I have posted on forum asking ppl to participate to join the email list so we can show them how many of us are willing to pay their products..then guess what..OHLY ONE person emailed me and said he was interested??what's up? what happened to rest of you all, dont' you want JIC coil-over system over Cattman's? Don't you want JIC cat-Back system over overpriced HKS rear section exhaust system???I definitely want it, but if you don't give a h**p about participating and showing interests, then don't complain!!!

Something to think about! Or maybe you should have bought a HOnda when you want to complain about Stillen being the only monopoly company for aftermarket!!
Tim

Maybe because this car was passed down to me?! Duh! You think I need you to tell me that there are more aftermarket support for Hondas and Acuras? Geez...it's obvious! Well, since you are talking so much about Hondas and Acuras, maybe you should get one. Maybe I prefer Nissan, and wish that there's more aftermarket products for us, but I guess that's bad in your mind. Well, if you love Stillen so much that you had to defend them, more power to you. I'm just stating my opinion. If I had the money, I still wouldn't get a Honda/Acura. About showing interest, you're really funny man. I did in fact emailed companies to ask them to show more interest in Nissan, especially Maximas and maybe develop products for us. Maybe it just wasn't pertaining to the products you posted about. However, do I have to email you and tell you that I did that? And post to everyone on the board that I did a great deed? Sorry, but I like to be more subtle. I can't help it if there's not enough people that have interest in doing that. And you being upset because there was nobody to support you in your cause. I understand that, believe me I do. It's frustrating, but I don't go off on someone just because they just stating their opinion. So. just don't go off on me man! Seeing you rant so much, maybe the Maxima isn't right for you.

Quick Reply: Look What I Got! - Warpspeed Y-Pipe