General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Mechanics / Techs / Experts Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 12:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just got a call from the dealer about my issue. (see: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=30493)

He says someone messed with the ECM harness that sits below the center console (to the left of your leg if you're sitting in the passenger seat). He said that they took the cover off the ECM harness, tapped a wire with a new wire, then cut that wire. They claim it might be due to this that my engine is doing that !!! (loose wire to ECM or something.. he says it's all wired together back to the engine...) I think it's ridiculous for these reasons:

1. They are unable to replicate the problem by messing with the harness or pulling on wires, etc.;

2. It was done a LONG time ago and the problem has only happened in the last month;

Anyway they took a photo and will show it to me. They say it is $1750 to fix it and that they can't even guarantee it will fix the problem.

Now they want $150 for their 2 hours labor in checking my car.

Any ideas where to get a second opinion near Boston?

Someone help!!!

Stressed out bad,
/aac
Old 03-28-2001, 01:52 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Who else worked on your car? Alarm guy? sound system guy?

Originally posted by acitrano
I just got a call from the dealer about my issue. (see: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=30493)

He says someone messed with the ECM harness that sits below the center console (to the left of your leg if you're sitting in the passenger seat). He said that they took the cover off the ECM harness, tapped a wire with a new wire, then cut that wire. They claim it might be due to this that my engine is doing that !!! (loose wire to ECM or something.. he says it's all wired together back to the engine...) I think it's ridiculous for these reasons:

1. They are unable to replicate the problem by messing with the harness or pulling on wires, etc.;

2. It was done a LONG time ago and the problem has only happened in the last month;

Anyway they took a photo and will show it to me. They say it is $1750 to fix it and that they can't even guarantee it will fix the problem.

Now they want $150 for their 2 hours labor in checking my car.

Any ideas where to get a second opinion near Boston?

Someone help!!!

Stressed out bad,
/aac
Old 03-28-2001, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Who else worked on your car? Alarm guy? sound system guy?

Sound system guy and I also have. But no way did I hack into a harness. All they are saying is that someone took the COVER off the harness, tapped a wire into another wire, but they then taped off the wire that they tapped (so it's not attached to anything). They cannot replicate the problem by messing with the harness area, either, so I'm doubtful they are on the right track.

Also, the stereo work was done at about 9,000 miles and the car was 100% fine until about a month ago (30,000 miles.) They want to do this $1900 repair but they say "they really can't guarantee it's the problem, but if it were my car I'd want this fixed..."

I would like to talk to a TRUE Nissan/Infiniti engineer and get their input.

more thoughts please before I have a nervous breakdown..

/aac
Old 03-28-2001, 09:00 PM

also

i might just contact a guy i know at Infiniti Consumer Affairs tomorrow and see if he'll let me talk to an engineer out there...

/aac
Old 03-28-2001, 09:37 PM

anthony, if it is electrically related maybe the wireless ethernet connection to your comp might be doing it. Maybe a shielded wire has become unshielded and frequency disturbance might be the unresolved factor.

Just a thought. Sorry to hear this bro....
Old 03-28-2001, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by Stillnmax
anthony, if it is electrically related maybe the wireless ethernet connection to your comp might be doing it. Maybe a shielded wire has become unshielded and frequency disturbance might be the unresolved factor.

Just a thought. Sorry to hear this bro....
Thanks for the input. The computer has been out of the car for the last few weeks, so that's not the issue.

I've thought of some additional points I'm making with the dealer tomorrow:

1. Stereo work was done at 9,000 miles – car has been fine until 1 month ago at 30,000 miles

2. They claim a wire was tapped from, but left intact in the harness, and the wire leads nowhere (it's taped off). How can this possibly affect ECM and generate these exact codes and behavior?

3. The ECM is not behaving erratically – it has produced the same error codes twice, both times when this issue came up:

IGNITION SIGNAL – PRIMARY
CYL 2 MISFIRE

(plus, wouldn’t you get an ECM error code if the ECM was having signal trouble??)

4. The dealer says they are not positive it’s the problem but "i'd fix it if it were my car."

5. Dealer cannot replicate the problem by messing with the harness area they are blaming

thanks for any and all additional input. I really appreciate it guys, this is really stressing me out.

/aac
Old 03-29-2001, 07:28 AM

Thats such bullsh!t. if it was the wire then it would have happened after the install, not 21k miles later. And if I'm paying clsoe to $2k they BETTER guarantee it'll fix my car and maybe even hook me up with some stripper or something.

Where'd you take it? your dealer? Take it somewhere else, preferably an independant shop you or someone trust. Ask around.

Chris
Old 03-29-2001, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by CKNY
Thats such bullsh!t. if it was the wire then it would have happened after the install, not 21k miles later. And if I'm paying clsoe to $2k they BETTER guarantee it'll fix my car and maybe even hook me up with some stripper or something.

Where'd you take it? your dealer? Take it somewhere else, preferably an independant shop you or someone trust. Ask around.

Chris

Yeh and it better be a lot more than a lap dance!!!

I took it to my dealer. I am going to get a second opinion. Maybe a third. I thought about taking it to another Infiniti dealer closer to Boston. A good independent shop is also a good idea. Thanks for the input man.. I'm going to get my car/talk with the dealer this morning.

/aac
Old 03-29-2001, 08:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

taped wire

to install air/fuel gauge you have to tap a wire in the harness. 2nd row down 7 or 8 across, something like that. what was the problem? a miss. if so might be a bad coil pack,