General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ººººNew Speed Detection Technology not Detected by RadarDetectors???ºººº

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 12:03 PM

ººººNew Speed Detection Technology not Detected by RadarDetectors???ºººº

My friend told me the police in NJ have some new type of speed detection devices undetectable by radar detectors......

He told me that all state police will be using this within the next 2 months and that all new police cars (even in your town) have them.

Personally that is not too reasuring me that I won't be caught speeding.....

I'm pretty scared about this and am hoping he's not right........Does someone have an answer?? (that can be looked up)

DON'T POST
Old 06-09-2004, 12:34 PM
UCF Lexus

Pop is what I've heard its called down here
Old 06-09-2004, 01:06 PM
My heroine

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
DON'T POST
then why did you waste a post on this?

read: http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleid=9080

read: http://www.valentine1.com/pop/

I doubt all state police units will be switching from x-band radar (which they seem to always have on when I hit them, never found one with k or ka yet) to this latest, greatest, untested radar..

in sum.. I wouldn't worry about it, or if you're so worried.. don't speed so much
Old 06-09-2004, 07:45 PM
brotherhood of tq

speeding is bad.. sup wilis long time no see
Old 06-09-2004, 08:39 PM

They are more than likely switching to Laser detection.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

pretty sure all you need is VG-2 cloaking, and my $90 Whistler has that.

Basicly, some cops have radar detector, detectors. VG-2 will simply turn off your radar detector.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:52 PM

just don't speed. how hard is that? whenever i travel (even on the backroads) i set my cruise control to the speed limit and just enjoy the ride. no need for any fancy radar detector, detector, detector.......detectors. think of the money saved on these things, as well as gas, and the one thing we're trying to avoid: speeding tickets. but wouldn't a detector and a ticket cost almost the same? if the detector not more?
Old 06-10-2004, 12:26 AM
My heroine

Originally Posted by Tyrexx

Basicly, some cops have radar detector, detectors. VG-2 will simply turn off your radar detector.

No..

turning the radar detector off to avoid vg-2 detection is a sh1te way of doing it.. get a good radar detector like a valentine which runs on a different frequency set than vg-2 works on, thus making it invisible to vg-2..
Old 06-10-2004, 04:21 AM

cops up in north east PA use Ka band...i didnt think it was a cop since i've never ran into a cop that used Ka band but i decided to and right in the median there's a cop chillin there...that was weird...here in jersey i only get X band and the occasional VG2.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:34 AM
STFU n00b!

strange that they're all on X band there...

here in TX, I've seen X, K, Ka, and Laser all within five miles of each other. the cops will stand in the median on the busy highways and gun people down.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE

here in TX, I've seen X, K, Ka, and Laser all within five miles of each other. the cops will stand in the median on the busy highways and gun people down.
My insurance can vouch for this.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:26 AM

in CA bay area all i see is Ka, sometimes K. usually the x-band is from automatic door openers.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:51 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

X-band is still used, but getting rare. Mostly, automatic doors and alarm systems set this alert band off. Sometimes I get blips out in the middle of nowhere from radar towers.

K-Usually a cop.

Ka-ALWAYS a cop.

Laser-Mostly FALSE alerts or road "this is your speed" signs.

All what I've seen with my V1 in AZ, NV, CA. BTW, by the time ANY new "radar gun" is deployed, the detector companies will have it covered. Don't be "scared", he's pulling your leg most likely.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
X-band is still used, but getting rare. Mostly, automatic doors and alarm systems set this alert band off. Sometimes I get blips out in the middle of nowhere from radar towers.

K-Usually a cop.

Ka-ALWAYS a cop.

All what I've seen with my V1 in AZ, NV, CA. BTW, by the time ANY new "radar gun" is deployed, the detector companies will have it covered. Don't be "scared", he's pulling your leg most likely.
mostly I agree with you on most accounts. The laser in NY is never for speed signs in my experience, it's always a cop unfortunately. I have not heard x band radar in about 3 years. Here they have mostly K and Ka on the highways with the occasional laser and on the roads it'a alway ka or laser, again in my experience.

It sounds like what is used is location dependent so do some research on it.

Also, Radar detectors are going to have to start coming with sensors on the license plate which is where a cop aims when he uses lasar. It's a little scary to trust that your detector will pick up the very limited scatter of laser as it bounces off another car or the road, sign, wall around you. That's why it's deadly.

x,k,ka are easier to detect because they spread out more with distance from the source. That's why detectors are good at detecting these early enough for you to do something about it aka brake.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:38 PM

I really don't see the advantage to this over instant on. If your tootling along and get a full strength KA, your dead, period.

I've said it a thousand times. Radar Detectors are a tool. They do not protect you from getting a ticket, rather they are to be used with many other techniques to avoid tickets. Your eyes and brain are still the best tools for avoiding tickets. If you do get nailed, if your speed was within reason, and few techniques while pulling over and conversing with the police can substantially reduce your chance of getting a ticket.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:42 PM
I miss the .org!

Do some reading on those links provided above. There's some interesting info. in there.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:37 PM

Yeah. I've seen one on foot gunning people. Me and my brother was real freaked out when he started walking out onto the busy street to stop the car behind us. I thought he was going to get run over.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:39 PM

The new thing coming up here in California is called LIDAR. It's a laser based system that is more accurate than anything else out there, while requiring less power and less bulky equipment. It was originally developed for space based applications, but is now in the testing phase for traffic control. But the highway patrol is trying to scare people by telling them its in wide deployment. It's also roumored to only bounce off flat reflective surfaces like licence plates, but this may not be entirely true if you look at how it works. Anything reflective will work because all it does it use the properties of the doppler effect to measure the red shift in the bounced laser beam. Keep in mind, this is not just a basic replacement for laser, it is much more accurate, has much better range, and is MUCH harder to detect/defeat unless you make your car look like a stealth bomber

Here's a NASA article about LIDAR: http://www.ghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/sparcl..._tutorial.html

Here's an article on how the California Highway Patrol is using it:
http://www.dailyrepublic.com/article...news/news6.txt
Old 06-10-2004, 03:03 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by hakk97se
The new thing coming up here in California is called LIDAR.
LIDAR is the same as the laser detection devices that have been in use around the country for several years now.

I got a lidar ticket last August in GA.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:25 PM

Didn't read the whole thread but i saw NJ and new speed detecting device and this came to mind. I can't quite remember what news orginzation i read this from but in NJ the police will be useing this new speed detecting method for at least the whole summer as a trial run to see how it goes.

What they do is sit in the tree lines/woods on the sides of the roads in camo gear and use an instant on speed detecting device to shoot a vehicle. They will call out the speed and description of the vehicle to awaiting police officers down the road.

As outrageous as this sounds they are in fact doing this. In the hour the it took the reporter to get their story the tactical squad has lazily tagged 90 something speeders, pulled 60 something, and ticketed 40 something.

There no way to detect this approach to speed enforcment in time to slow down before already being tagged. So good luck with that. NJ might have something else they use also, but i know this pilot program was started just recently.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:20 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

PLEASE all of you throw out your radar detectors...they're worthless junk.

Means more suckers to keep the cops busy, while I fly on by.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1

K-Usually a cop.

Ka-ALWAYS a cop.

on everything exept the laser, i've been hit with laser from one of those 'photovans' in PV
Old 06-11-2004, 08:32 AM

I all agree with you 007 Max....here in CO, Ka is always a cop, Ive never falesed one yet with my passport 8500, may not have seen him, but its never not been a cop when I have Ka going off. K is sometimes, mostly I notice it as a speed sign on the road here, and X, Ive only seen a rare couple of times. Laser too, just once or twice out here.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:36 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

The 'pop simulator' on the V1 site lists an estimate of the accuracy of a pop radar gun from up to 1.5miles.

Who the heck uses a radar gun at 1.5 miles?? The divergence patterm of the singal would be so wide you'd be measuring the speed of a whole city...
Old 06-11-2004, 08:44 AM

VASCAR is used in MD. Air units measure your speed by white lines on the road. Then they relay the info to ground units and you get pulled over.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:42 PM

ours recently began standing in the biker/jogger lane on overpasses and radar the cars that pass below. then they radar to a car slighly down the road.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by willis
No..

turning the radar detector off to avoid vg-2 detection is a sh1te way of doing it.. get a good radar detector like a valentine which runs on a different frequency set than vg-2 works on, thus making it invisible to vg-2..

YES....

VG-2 Automaticly turns off your radar detector, if it detects VG-2 the detector will turn itself off. You don't do anything. It will "enable" radar detection when the VG-2 is gone.

I live in one of the ~45 States that allows radar detectors, so I don't even care about it, but my information is correct.

If you like in a state that uses VG-2 then yes, you should get a GOOD detector like a Valentine.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:08 PM

Check out this write up about avoiding speeding tickets. Its great advice, and good for a laugh or two.

http://www.ehowa.com/mythoughts/nospeeding.shtml
Old 06-15-2004, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by tampamax
As outrageous as this sounds they are in fact doing this. In the hour the it took the reporter to get their story the tactical squad has lazily tagged 90 something speeders, pulled 60 something, and ticketed 40 something.

You're exaggerating....I've seen them do this in NY, and at most there are two unmarked interceptors and the unmarked gunner....When they use this technique, there is no squirming out of the ticket....

At most they'll pull over six to ten cars in an hour...if they are ambitious....to pull over more they'll need the entire squad...
Old 06-16-2004, 10:24 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

this should clear up alot of questions....

radar bands X, K, Ka, Ka wide and narrow simply refer to different frequencies used by police radar. Basically the same frequencies are used all over the world, and the principles are the same wherever they're used. Radar acts a lot like light, keep that in mind when you position your detector: i.e., it needs to see out through a window or other opening; also, the higher you position your detector, the better...helps it get the first look as you crest a hill... and so on.
laser laser operates basically the same way as radar, but at much shorter range, usually not more than 500 feet. Your main chance for warning is if the police try to clock the car in front of you. If they do pop out with their laser gun right in front of you, you have very little warning time. Remember, the cops need vertical reflective surfaces like license plates and headlight to get a reading. Anything you can do to angle these surfaces, or make them absorb red light gives you a better chance.

photo radar They set up an automatic device by the road, it measures your speed, takes a picture of your license plate and they mail you a ticket. Slick, huh? Whether made by GATSO, Lasercam, Multanova, Autovelox, etc., the guys who designed these things knew about detectors before they started their work. So they made their products operate at VERY short ranges knowing this would give you and your detector VERY little, if any, time to react, e.g. 100 to 150 feet, or about 1.5 seconds at 60mph. The way to strike back is to trick up your license plate. Shimming it vertically 20 to 30 degrees is a little help against photo and laser...but a better bet is the photo radar spray, or plate polarizers which either overexpose or blacken the plate to the camera's eye.

jammers The radar jammers that really work will get you a lot more jail time than any speeding violation. They're unlicensed transmitters, so they're banned by governments world wide. The ones that are openly sold, the "radar scrambler" types are basically just reflectors, with a success rate of less than 1 in 10. They rarely live up to expectations of customers, so we don't sell them.

VG-2. All detectors made in recent history are superhets. This means they have oscillators which send out a weak, but detectable signal. Some genius decided to take advantage of this fact to make a product to sell to liberty loving governments the world around. He called it a vg-2. The cops hold this black box which simply detects the presence of a detector. A new crime is born! Your defense is a detector with vg-2 shut down. That is, the detector senses the signals put out by the cops black box and shuts down its oscillator. It's still basically a quick draw contest between your box and the cop's box, so if you're in one of those fun loving places like Virginia, D.C. Ontario, Quebec, France, Belgium, Switzerland, New South Wales, etc. where they'll confiscate your detector; get yourself a detector like a BEL Stealth which puts out far less signal to detect in the first place.

VASCAR is all in the timing. You cross a line on the road and X seconds later you cross a 2nd line. The cop knows the distance and he's got a stopwatch. Zap, they gottcha. No radar, no laser, just a stopwatch and time/ speed/ distance table. If they're doing it right, usually you'll find a timer car and one or more chase cars to collect your money. This generates a lot of 2-way radio traffic which you may hear with some advanced warning on a Uniden Beartracker, which is pre-programmed for US police frequencies.

POP is a technology that has only been implemented by MPH. It was introduced on MPH's handheld radars in 1999, and it has also been incorporated into MPH's newest dashmounted radars.
POP technology is aimed at an old problem - defeating radar detectors.
Ordinary radars try to circumvent detectors with a Standby or Hold switch. However, this method simply doesn't work with modern radar detectors. By the time the radar has been on long enough to process a speed, the transmitter has already set off every radar detector within two miles of the operator.

MPH's exclusive POP technology makes the MPH's radars the only ones that can measure vehicle speeds without setting off any radar detectors. This technology is only made possible by MPH’s expertise in manufacturing microwave sources that can turn on and stabilize quickly and by digital signal processing (DSP) techniques. The radar can obtain an accurate speed reading in milliseconds, which is far faster than an operator can operate a switch.
When the an MPH radar is placed into POP mode, the radar emits a short burst of energy when an antenna button is pressed. It quickly measures the vehicle's speed. The radar then goes immediately into standby and displays the target's speed for a couple of seconds. The entire measurement happens so quickly that the radar detector doesn't see it.
If the vehicle's speed is not a violation, the operator does nothing and no one knows that he's running radar. However, if the speed is of interest, he can place the radar into normal transmit mode, allowing the officer to track and lock the vehicle's speed.

MPH recommends that the officer obtain a tracking history of a speed violator by operating the radar in normal transmit mode after determining with POP mode that the vehicle is speeding. This is because most radar case law is based on tracing a vehicle in normal radar operation. The information obtained in POP mode is accurate and reliable, but may not be supported by case law in court.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:29 PM

^is the man...whatever he said!
Old 06-18-2004, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tyrexx

Whistler is the only brand to turn off the detector which is a moot point since ALL whistlers are detected by VG2.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:43 AM

“A note of caution: Information derived during the POP burst is non-evidential… Citations should not be issued based solely on information derived from the POP burst.”

This is a quote from the MPH's Pop radar gun. It is not accurate enough to be used in court.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Virus
Whistler is the only brand to turn off the detector which is a moot point since ALL whistlers are detected by VG2.
Please show evidence of that because I don't believe it.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:47 AM

ALL of our cops in MI run k & ka, Ive never picked up a cop with x band.

Originally Posted by willis
then why did you waste a post on this?

read: http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleid=9080

read: http://www.valentine1.com/pop/

I doubt all state police units will be switching from x-band radar (which they seem to always have on when I hit them, never found one with k or ka yet) to this latest, greatest, untested radar..

in sum.. I wouldn't worry about it, or if you're so worried.. don't speed so much
Old 06-18-2004, 06:12 PM
† ErV †

Actually, cops don't need to show you the radar to issue you a ticket. They can use the inaccurate POP mode all they want and write tickets based on it. Good luck arguing with them!

Old 06-18-2004, 07:58 PM

lets just run from all cops
Old 06-19-2004, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by deezo
Please show evidence of that because I don't believe it.
www.speedzones.com

Whistler 1783 Detected at 2022ft
Whistler 1793 Detected at 1610ft
Whistler 3400 Detected at 762ft

Is that good enough? Every test shows the Whistlers being detected a huge ranges.

Whistler radar detectors are horrible!
Old 06-21-2004, 07:50 AM

Down here, St. Petersburg is super annoying with their "techniques". They like to put undercover officers that have dressed up as everything from a homeless guy on a bench holding what looks like a paper bag to a construction worker in a cherry picker. They stop at nothing to hide themselves and relay the info to a bunch of cops up ahead who will pull you over and give you a ticket for as little as 3 over that I know of (maybe lower). Of course, you can often fight the lower ones (less than 5-7 over) and get off, but still, it's crazy that they get such a high percentage of their budget from citations (at least 10% higher than surrounding cities)
Old 06-21-2004, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Virus
www.speedzones.com

Whistler 1783 Detected at 2022ft
Whistler 1793 Detected at 1610ft
Whistler 3400 Detected at 762ft

Is that good enough? Every test shows the Whistlers being detected a huge ranges.

Whistler radar detectors are horrible!
I've had my Whistler for about 9 years now and have not gotten one ticket with it, so I'd say it's far from crap. Back then it was about 200 bones and couple pick up every possible for of radar possible for that time. My Whistler has shown me that it was (and still is) very reliable at picking up traps no matter what Speedzones.com shows test.

Looking at the tests shown, I'd say the Whister is far from trash and either way, you still have to drive responsibly. You still can't hide from a Laser or aircraft.

Quick Reply: ººººNew Speed Detection Technology not Detected by RadarDetectors???ºººº