General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Transmissions, Transmissions, Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 06:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Transmissions, Transmissions, Transmissions

I have suspected for some time that I had the infamous 95-97 differential bearing problem in my 5spd (the whining noise and a leaky tranny), so I got one of the guys at work to put the max up on the lift and check it out, and the leak is indeed from the cv shaft inputs. The leak isn't that bad and I could probably keep driving for a while (never know though), but I can get cheap labor while I have this job (probably only a summer job), so I'm going to get this fixed sonner rather than later. I do have quite a few questions so I'll try to break this into sections so you can skip to what you think you can help me with if you want. Here goes.

Transmission:
--->There's also a leak from a sensor on the tranny (speed sensor is the only one I think right?). What is the fix for this? Do I replace the whole sensor or is there some sort of seal? Anybody know the part number?
--->I'm thinking I'll just replace the tranny so my options are either get a 98-99 or 2000-2001. Is there any maximum mileage you would advise for this? Obviously lower is better, but what is the highest I should consider? Is there any kind of damage (what put the car in the junkyard) that would ruin the tranny?
--->98-99: Have there been any of these later 4th gens that developed the diffy bearing problem, or was this a mistake that nissan fixed at this point? Also since all 4th gens seem to have a weak 3rd gear this would limit my clutch options so I will probably only go this route if I find one cheap and with low miles.
--->2000-2001: Are there any common problems with these trannies I should be aware of (this is the main reason I posted in general)? Has anybody broken one when using a clutch with more clamping force than stock? I'm not talking supercharged or nitrous because I know that is pretty inevitable, but some 4th gens have broken 3rd gear (hence the weak third gear) by using ACT clutches. Do 2000-2001 trannies still use Gl-4 tranny fluid like the 4th gens, or are they Gl-5?
--->2000 tranny in a 4th gen: I know people have said the axles are the same, but has anybody actually used 4th gen axles? The part number for the CV's is different so I wasn't sure. I have to replace my CV's anyway, so the only problem might be the core exchange. other than that, just use the 4th gen speed sensor correct? Are there any other parts I may need from a 5th gen besides the tranny and CV's (unless someone is certain the 4th gen ones will work)? Are there any other potential problems or have I understood correctly that this is a direct bolt on?

Clutch: Since the tranny will be out and I have a little over 100k I will definitely be replacing the clutch, but which one?
--->Oem (NOT Key Value): As stated above I would definitely use this one if I ended up with a 4th gen tranny (don't want to go breaking any gears). Any reason I should get this if I go with a 5th gen tranny? What parts will I need for this? That is, what I would get with the key value kit but not crap. Part numbers would be great.
--->Exedy stage one: This one is in the lead, but the price kind of worries me (compared to other performance clutches). Has anybody had this for a while and can speak to it's longevity? Is this thing a real pain for city driving? I don't have to do much city driving, but sometimes I do. Is it any harder to launch? basically I want to know how drivablity is effected.
--->ACT stage one: Same questions as with the Exedy. Any reason I should spend the extra $100 dollars to get this instead of the exedy?
---> Any other clutches I should consider?

Other parts: What other parts do I need? Seals? Other things? Again part numbers would be great.

Please add any other things I didn't but should have asked about.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

I'm so glad the org is back up. Sprintmax is the man .
Old 07-22-2004, 06:56 PM
brotherhood of tq

u had alot of stuff to read so im gonna say it like this.... get a 2000-2001 tranny and it would work wit the 4th gen axles.. i've done it. hmm i dont know which clutch u should go wit. i aslo dont kno of any part numbers for u.

if u have any questions please im me.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:55 PM

Bump...anybody else?
Old 07-25-2004, 07:45 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Terran
Bump...anybody else?
i have a 01 tranny im getting new raxles axles and throwing it in.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:11 PM

4th gen axles or 5th gen? Let me know how it goes. What clutch did you go with?
Old 07-26-2004, 12:24 AM
Sports Button FTW

i also have 2k1 tranny in my 97 maxima. Didnt change anything. Everything fits likee a glove
Old 07-26-2004, 05:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah, get a 2000-2001. They are not more expensive than getting a 4th gen tranny and most have low miles. The switch leak is most likely the neutral/reverse position sensor...very common.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:27 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

okay you guys have a 2k1 tranny but does any one have a 2k1 20th a/e manual with LSD ?
Old 07-26-2004, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mishmosh
Yeah, get a 2000-2001. They are not more expensive than getting a 4th gen tranny and most have low miles. The switch leak is most likely the neutral/reverse position sensor...very common.
So should I just get a new one or is there some sort of seal that is all I would need to replace? Also do I keep the 4th gen one just like speed sensor?

Anybody know what sort of seals I should get (like for where the tranny attaches to the engine etc)?

Also will the redline mt-90 I have sitting here work or is a 5th gen Gl-5?

What clutches are you all running (and why did you pick it)? Anybody heard of any problems with the exedy stage 1. Thanks alot everybody.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:42 PM
Sports Button FTW

i have exedy stage 1 cause i heard it was strong enough to handle the power i would be running and also feel stock and not kill my tranny. It cant handle the power of my car though...i may need an ACT or something stronger to handle my boost...

if i'm on the highway and i drop a gear where i'm in second doing like 6,000 rpm, i dotn feel any type of slippage but most times when i take it from 1st gear redline to second gear shift, it feels like its slipping 4/5 of the time. I dont know if its the clutch or my misfire/02sensor issues causing car to pop out real slow from that shift...
Old 07-27-2004, 09:19 AM
I love lamp.

So should I just get a new one or is there some sort of seal that is all I would need to replace? Also do I keep the 4th gen one just like speed sensor?

Anybody know what sort of seals I should get (like for where the tranny attaches to the engine etc)?

Also will the redline mt-90 I have sitting here work or is a 5th gen Gl-5?

What clutches are you all running (and why did you pick it)? Anybody heard of any problems with the exedy stage 1. Thanks alot everybody.
MT90 will work. You have to remember the non-lsd tranny has been the same in the maxima since 1985 (same model number etc). Only differences is bellhousing, and minor improvments here/there with some tweaks to the gear ratio's as well. I've heard a lot of good reviews from about the Exedy Stage 1...I guess what you should question is what kind of clutch pedal you want. I know that the ACT pressure plates are stiffer than hell...but not so nice on lighten flywheels (I've actually seen a Fidenza that was concaved because the pressure plate was way too stiff on iansw 4th gen).

S
Old 07-27-2004, 12:53 PM

If the leak is indeed the neutral pos switch (front, side), some have tried permatex or a new switch. It really shouldn't be the vehicle speed sensor (rear, top)... If you get a 2000-2001 tranny, it will come with a neutral pos switch. You will need to port your vehicle speed sensor over to the 2k tranny. The only seals you should consider are the axle seals. You never know what condition the seals are in from a salvage yard. There is no seal from the tranny to the motor--the bellhousing area (ie. clutch/flywheel area) is "dry."

Some drain their tranny by pulling the neutral/rev position switch--I wouldn't recommend that. You can get a perpetual slow leak and the switch plastic is easily cracked too.

If your axles are intact but have serious miles on them, it may be a good time to order up some Raxles.

Re: tranny oil. I have used MT-90 before but now use Synchromesh (first introduced by GM, now made by a couple of mfg, ie. Pennzoil). It is yellow-metal friendly and works great! Best of all, you can order a 5 gal pail for pretty cheap (oil-store.com, $72).
Old 07-27-2004, 03:54 PM

Mecconoble, you have a supercharger/turbo correct? I think if I can ever afford that I'll just spring for a new clutch first.

Mishmosh, thanks for all the input. I do need to replace my CVs, I just thought there might be a problem returning a core from the wrong gen so I will probably get 4th gen ones if they will work just as well. Also, that pennzoil is really expensive...I got enough mt-90 for like half that.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:47 PM

I just dropped in a new VLSD in my 97 Max that was manufactured in 2001.I did replace the axles due to O/D to VLSD drivers side does change more splines.I had the original O/D bearing leak twice (135,000).Got VLSD wholesale thru Pinnacle Nissan($1665+$100.00 ship)Dealer wants $2220+tax
Old 07-27-2004, 07:07 PM

What and where is is pinnacle nissan? Could you give me the contact info? Are you saying the tranny is brand new? That's only a few hundred more than the one price I've gotten on a used VLSD...I'd like to see what they charge for regular 2k tranny.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:13 PM

Never mind...I think I found it. http://www.nissanparts.org/ is this it? Wierd, the regular tranny is more expensive than the VLSD version.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:19 PM

Also, that pennzoil is really expensive...I got enough mt-90 for like half that.
I DID say 5 gallons--NOT 5 quarts! If you don't plan to use the extra, then it's a waste but you'd be surprised how that amount ultimately comes in handy. It's not like the stuff expires. Many with DSM, Suby's, etc have used the stuff and like it too. I got the Pennzoil before I started to have the diff. bearing failure and yeah, it came in handy big time. For me GL-4 stuff is almost impossible to come by locally.

Also, for reference, I got my 2k1 open diff. manual tranny for $750 + $100 shipping--it had only 12k miles on it!
Old 07-27-2004, 07:25 PM

Oh yeah, so you did .. I gotta learn to pay closer attention .
Old 07-27-2004, 07:50 PM

I said the same thing! But it is true! the VLSD is actually cheaper!
Old 07-27-2004, 07:53 PM

I do beleive that nissan corrected the bearing issue by product run late 01- early 02
Old 07-27-2004, 07:54 PM

The one I used was pinnacle nissan.I believe they are one in the same
Old 07-27-2004, 07:56 PM

It's either in Flagstaff or Scottsdale can't remember
Old 07-27-2004, 09:47 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I granaded my 5th gen tranny with a ACT clutch- 4th gear stripped out all the teeth from both the counter and main shafts. Here is a picture of one of the shafts. I rebuild it myself- I got 90K miles on my car. I drive very hard and ran N20 for 30K miles when it was new.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:33 PM

I kind of hate to resurrect this old thread...but I will anyway .

This is mainly directed at mishmosh, but anyone who knows the answer, please reply.

I know that the speed sensor needs to be 4th gen, but has anybody used the 5th gen neutral position switch (that's the impression I get from mishmosh's post, but I am not sure). I ask because it seems odd that one type of sensor would work while the other will not (even though I would be very excited to learn that I could use the 5th gen neutral pos. as I need to replace it and I believe the new one may have it.).

Thanks alot everybody for all past and future replies.

edit: I've answered my own question...they have the same part number for 1995 and 2000, so I guess I'm in luck.