General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Really need help regarding accident

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 10:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Really need help regarding accident

Ok so I don't know if you guys read my thread or not regarding the accident that I was in on Sunday night. Basically there were 4 left lanes, 3 going straight, and 2 going left, the one going straight was also one in which you could turn left. I was in the far most left lane, the other girls were in the other left lane and her rear bumper slid against my front fender, and bumper. The police were called, however the cop took our information and exchanged it, he did not make out a police report because he thought the damages were minor. Well I got some estimates it's in the neighborhood of a grand. I spoke to the girl twice, told her what the estimates said. And since then I have not spoken to her. As a result I called her insurance company told them of all that happened, and they said they would want to take a look at the police report. However, a police report was not made. So then I contacted the Police Headquarters and they said come in and fill out a form, and in order for a police report to be made both parties involved in the accident would have to come in. Here's my problem, since I can't get in touch with her I don't know how she will come in.

Secondly, I don't want to go through all of this hassle the ****ing cops should've made a report at the time of the incident. And the ins. companies said there's some Liability bs where no one is 100% completely at fault, so she say maybe 75% at fault maybe more maybe less WTF??????? Why doesn't she just pay me out of pocket its 1150 in damages, should I stop by her house? Talk to me!!
Old 08-03-2004, 10:48 AM

Small claims court?
Old 08-03-2004, 10:48 AM
I'm needing a caw

1) Fill out an accident report. I've had to do it so you can to. If you want to handle the situation right, fill it out. Don't depend on others.
2) Both parties do not have to be present so I don't know what that came from. If she doesn't fill out an accident report, then that's her problem
3) After you fill out the report, contact the girl's insurance company and either fax them a copy or let them know the report #.
4) Don't know how it could be your fault UNLESS you were speeding. You didn't mention that.
5) The girl is NOT going to go out of her way to contact you. It's her fault so she's not going to lift a finger.

Suggestion. Fill out the report. Then call the girl. Tell her if she wants to keep the insurance out of it, she can pay you TODAY. If not, then you will file the report, call her insurance and handle it that way. Don't BS around. Handle your business and get it done. NO ONE else is gonna take care if it for you.

What the other ins company is claiming about liability is total BS. They are just trying to get YOU to pay for some of the damages. ie... reduce their costs. Don't take that that crap. HOW IN THE FAWK could they know you are partly responsible if they don't even know what went down??
Old 08-03-2004, 10:49 AM
It's chrome alright...

Do not stop by her house. Tell the insurance company to do their ****ing job and call the police dept and make them write a report.

Again, DO NOT go to her house! Copy the estimate and mail it certified mail, signature required so you know she got it. Also send it to both insurance companies. If your insurance company isn't going to do their job then you may end up having to sue the girl in small claims, and the first thing they're going to want is proof you sent her notice.

Last, you may need to go to the police station and tell them your insurance company needs a report before they will proceed. Talk to the cop directly and he'll probably just write it up, but DO IT SOON so you get some detail and not a generic "two cars collided" POS report.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:53 AM
I'm needing a caw

Actually, every time I was in an accident where it was the other person's fault, my insurance company was useless. It's really up to him to do all the work and to make sure he doesn't get reamed by the other insurance company

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
Do not stop by her house. Tell the insurance company to do their ****ing job and call the police dept and make them write a report.

Again, DO NOT go to her house! Copy the estimate and mail it certified mail, signature required so you know she got it. Also send it to both insurance companies. If your insurance company isn't going to do their job then you may end up having to sue the girl in small claims, and the first thing they're going to want is proof you sent her notice.

Last, you may need to go to the police station and tell them your insurance company needs a report before they will proceed. Talk to the cop directly and he'll probably just write it up, but DO IT SOON so you get some detail and not a generic "two cars collided" POS report.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe

Ok you guys are right I am leaving right now to the police headquarters, I will write a letter make copies of estimates and mail them to the girl's address. Secondly, I was not speeding at all I was going maybe 10-12MPH she was going maybe 20-23, we were proceeding to make a left turn so you couldn't drive to fast anyways. Any other tips or suggestions?
Old 08-03-2004, 11:18 AM

I would fill out the report, and then contact my agent and let them handle it - that is what you pay them for.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:57 PM

Jeff92SE is totally right about it being up to Harris to get things done. However, that is not always even enough. I had an accident in an apartment complex once. It was raining and the other guy tried to cut a blind corner too sharply (ie in my lane)and hydroplaned into me. The cops won't come out to private property accidents unless there are injuries here, so I just took some pictures. The guy, who admitted hydroplaning (normally an automatic at-fault ticket here in FL), of course, changed his story and try claiming it was somehow my fault and tried to file a claim against my insurance. I told my agent that I had pics and a witness (my brother was in the car behind me) and not to settle with them. So, I got my check from his insurance company, and didn't find out until 1.5 years later when I tried to switch insurance that my company agreed to pay a small percentage of that accident without letting me know. So, if you get a lazy adjustor on your insurance, then it is up to you to take her to court and/or any other avenue necessary to keep from getting reamed for an accident that's her fault. Don't leave it up to your insurance company!