General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Dyno of 3.5 Altimas VS. 5.5 Gen Maximas

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 12:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dyno of 3.5 Altimas VS. 5.5 Gen Maximas

Why does it seem like 3.5 Altimas (like project maxima) dyno more then similarly modded 5.5 gen maximas?
Old 09-07-2004, 06:54 AM
wat

Maybe because we make the same threads over and over and over?
Old 09-07-2004, 07:09 AM
I miss the .org!

Delete
Old 09-07-2004, 07:38 AM
Old Timer

Is it just me, or is the org filling up with Dumbasses more and more everyday?
Old 09-07-2004, 07:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What can I say, I would have searched the forum... if there was a search option. Smartasses
Old 09-07-2004, 08:08 AM
Administrator

there IS a search option

Old 09-07-2004, 08:21 AM
I love lamp.

It's because the Altima flux capacitor is bigger than the 5.5 gen's. This causes the 5.5 to have less resonance in the muffler bearings. But don't sweat, that can easily be remedied. Royal purple just came out with a synthetic flux capacitor fluid that can increase muffler bearing resonance by 28%. That should help nudge the 5.5 gen a little past the Altima.

S
Old 09-07-2004, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by maximase86
It's because the Altima flux capacitor is bigger than the 5.5 gen's. This causes the 5.5 to have less resonance in the muffler bearings. But don't sweat, that can easily be remedied. Royal purple just came out with a synthetic flux capacitor fluid that can increase muffler bearing resonance by 28%. That should help nudge the 5.5 gen a little past the Altima.

S
We have a flux capacitor?

Anyways, give the guy a break people, he might be new, he might have been away from his computer when those posts surfaced and sunk under the great pile of information (and crap) we hold dear here at maxima.org but in response to the ORIGINAL question:

There have been countless posts where very edumucated people have looked into the smallest details and differences between the Maxima and altima engines and drivetrain and in short: nobody knows.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:17 AM
wat

Originally Posted by 2k2-blk-6spd
We have a flux capacitor?

Anyways, give the guy a break people, he might be new, he might have been away from his computer when those posts surfaced and sunk under the great pile of information (and crap) we hold dear here at maxima.org but in response to the ORIGINAL question:

There have been countless posts where very edumucated people have looked into the smallest details and differences between the Maxima and altima engines and drivetrain and in short: nobody knows.

No........
Old 09-07-2004, 09:46 AM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by sleeper2002
Why does it seem like 3.5 Altimas (like project maxima) dyno more then similarly modded 5.5 gen maximas?
because altima has vee-tek, and maxima don't.

Old 09-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Man youll are harsh. Don't make a freakin comment if your not going to help him. Probally has to do with the 5-speed manual instead of the 6-speed.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:12 PM

For the record my 5.5G Maxima has a Flux Capacitor WITH a Mr. Fusion. :P
Old 09-07-2004, 12:42 PM
I love lamp.

Dayum, Mr. Fusion? Man, those things are so powerful they scare me!

S
Old 09-07-2004, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by SprintMax
there IS a search option

Yes the function exists, but...

you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Now, I'm not a donating member so I lack access to the search feature. I'm certain the noob isn't a donating member either.

Anyways sleeper, i suggest you donate to the .org or just do your own research because you wont be getting positive responses with what you may consider to be valid questions.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the help 2k2-blk-6spd and spanishrice. I read about the search problem after all the flaming... and I will donate if I get a maxima. I am still deciding b/t the max and altima and it mostly depends on which car has a bigger performance aftermarket.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:05 PM
Administrator

wait wait.. before you donate to search.. i must tell you the search function is semi broken
Old 09-07-2004, 05:06 PM

altima's aftermarket is much larger than the maxima. Although i think the new maxima is a beauty, i cant imagine myself getting a 30+K car that doesnt have the infiniti badge on it.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Cause the 6spd is a POS trans that loses way more power through DT loss than the 5spd of the alti.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:14 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by 95emeraldgxe
altima's aftermarket is much larger than the maxima. Although i think the new maxima is a beauty, i cant imagine myself getting a 30+K car that doesnt have the infiniti badge on it.
i would think that since both cars share the same engine that anything out of the altimas "performance" wise would also make it available for the maxima as well.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Larrio
i would think that since both cars share the same engine that anything out of the altimas "performance" wise would also make it available for the maxima as well.
Glad a few of us know what's going on!

Okay, to my understanding any part that works on the 3.5 Altima and new 6th Gen Maxima will work on a 5.5 Gen Maxima. On the other hand, 350Z and G35 parts won't necessarily work because they are rear wheel drive and the engine is mounted at a different angle thus making the parts slightly different.

Good luck with your purchase, make sure you test drive everything and I know you'll be happy with your decision since you're definitely staying in the Nissan Family.

Old 09-07-2004, 06:24 PM
vsamoylov

i stiil rather take a 5.5 maxima with 6 speed than a altima. i dont see any fun in modding a altima.

Old 09-07-2004, 06:32 PM
//M5'ver

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
i stiil rather take a 5.5 maxima with 6 speed than a altima. i dont see any fun in modding a altima.
how stupid is that.. its the same God Damn engine .. why moddify a Maxima VQ if you don't think it makes sense to modify a Altima VQ

Old 09-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Horra!!

Originally Posted by Larrio
I don't know if that is completely true. If I remember correctly, the 3.5 Altimas have a 3rd Generation VQ like the 350 and G35 have, while us 5.5 gen maximas have a 2nd gen VQ.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:37 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by looslip
I don't know if that is completely true. If I remember correctly, the 3.5 Altimas have a 3rd Generation VQ like the 350 and G35 have, while us 5.5 gen maximas have a 2nd gen VQ.

The '01-'04 Pathfinder, '02+ Altima, and '02-'03 Maxima have the same exact engine...

'04 Maxima, '03+ Z, G, and FX series vehicles have the Gen3 VQ35.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:31 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by Turbo97GXE
how stupid is that.. its the same God Damn engine .. why moddify a Maxima VQ if you don't think it makes sense to modify a Altima VQ

no really? i didnt know that they had the same engine. wow.
what i meant was the exterior and other mods. non engine mods. i just cant see myself spending money on a altima but that is me. i never liked them and especially now and i dont see why all of a sudden when a altima came out with a vq35 everybody started modding them when the maxima was there all along. and then nissan tries to make the altima the sportier of the two cars (altima and maxima) by making the se-r model if it comes out and making a maxima on the same platform as the altima. i guess they are just trying to make it more like the infinit i30 and i35 since those are out of production.

Old 09-08-2004, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
The '01-'04 Pathfinder, '02+ Altima, and '02-'03 Maxima have the same exact engine...

'04 Maxima, '03+ Z, G, and FX series vehicles have the Gen3 VQ35.
whats diffrent?
Old 09-08-2004, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper2002
Thanks for the help 2k2-blk-6spd and spanishrice. I read about the search problem after all the flaming... and I will donate if I get a maxima. I am still deciding b/t the max and altima and it mostly depends on which car has a bigger performance aftermarket.
Personally I really like the 2005 altima unless your looking for a used car. It is going to have more aftermarket than the max for sure.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:08 AM
//M5'ver

no really? i didnt know that they had the same engine. wow.
what i meant was the exterior and other mods. non engine mods..
so you are a ricer is what you are saying?

Old 09-08-2004, 05:12 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
Cause the 6spd is a POS trans that loses way more power through DT loss than the 5spd of the alti.
I really wish you people would research the facts before you make stupid comments like this. Based on what I have seen the Altima doesn't make anymore power than the A33B. They both have the SAME transmission with the ONLY difference being that extra gear in the A33B.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:16 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Given that choice, I'd take the Altima. It's got a much better chassis, and the same engine.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:18 AM
† ErV †

With the little kink that many cannot fit in an altima, despite them really working on the space issue it's still a tight fit compared to the max.

And there are a lot more things that are similar besides the engines. The systems operate in the same way and a lot of the parts are in fact the same.. Which is common nowdays as manufacturers try to make it simple for one dealership mechanic to work on pretty much all cars that the service manager throws at him

Old 09-08-2004, 07:30 AM

If the upgraded 2005 Altima 3.5SE were avail back in 2002 (when I bought my 5.5G Maxima), I would have bought the Alti. :sorry: IMO, it has a sharper look than the 5G Maxima and packs similar punch. $.02
Old 09-08-2004, 11:14 AM
vsamoylov

so you are a ricer is what you are saying?

how am i a ricer? explain that to me. by my lsit of exterior mods, none are rice. a stillen kit is rice? clear corners is rice? OEM spoiler is rice? 2k2 rims are rice? H&R are rice? i can tell you that i no ricer especially after doing a vq35 6 speed swap. ricers are all about show and i am about go with class. so you got

Old 09-08-2004, 11:37 AM
//M5'ver

how am i a ricer? explain that to me. by my lsit of exterior mods, none are rice. a stillen kit is rice? clear corners is rice? OEM spoiler is rice? 2k2 rims are rice? H&R are rice? i can tell you that i no ricer especially after doing a vq35 6 speed swap. ricers are all about show and i am about go with class. so you got
you owned yourself dumbas$ .. you said you would rather exterior mods to engine mods..

HELLO .. if you prefer Exterior aka cosmetic mods to performance mods.. you are a damn ricer

Old 09-08-2004, 11:56 AM

you owned yourself dumbas$ .. you said you would rather exterior mods to engine mods..

HELLO .. if you prefer Exterior aka cosmetic mods to performance mods.. you are a damn ricer

Wow, okay before this gets out of hand as most posts in this org community do, here is what he said:

he said that "i can tell you that i no ricer especially after doing a vq35 6 speed swap" so then the majority of his mods AREN'T for show. Granted, he fixed his car up with exterior AND interior mods but I bet that if you added all the money for cosmetic mods, it wouldn't add up to the cost of his 3.5VQ/6spd swap so then he's at the very least half-half but none of his mods are rice man. Why be on the power trip calling out people and looking for fights? Just answer what the topic asks for and leave it at that, how hard is that?

Oh and for the flames you are about to send my way: *brushes shoulders off*

Old 09-08-2004, 12:31 PM
//M5'ver

Originally Posted by 2k2-blk-6spd
Wow, okay before this gets out of hand as most posts in this org community do, here is what he said:

he said that "i can tell you that i no ricer especially after doing a vq35 6 speed swap" so then the majority of his mods AREN'T for show. Granted, he fixed his car up with exterior AND interior mods but I bet that if you added all the money for cosmetic mods, it wouldn't add up to the cost of his 3.5VQ/6spd swap so then he's at the very least half-half but none of his mods are rice man. Why be on the power trip calling out people and looking for fights? Just answer what the topic asks for and leave it at that, how hard is that?

Oh and for the flames you are about to send my way: *brushes shoulders off*

if you are going to stick your nose into an argument it is in your best interest to get the facts correct.

Point: Why would he modify a maxima over an altima?

- he has no desire to modify the engine, and wishes to do cometic mods.
- my post merely says that if you prefer to do cosmetic mods over performance mods then you are a ricer.

we are not talking about his current car, we are talking about why he wants to modify a maxima over an altima.

If you were able to read and comprehend coherently you would have been able to decifer that before sticking your nose into the conversation and thus making making yourself look like an as$.

Thank You
Have a nice day

Old 09-08-2004, 02:47 PM
vsamoylov

ok, you completly did not understand what i said. i said i will rather mod a maxima over a altima. who said i have no dwesire to mod the engine? what i meant was the engine is the same thing as a maxima so there is no difference there. it is modding the same thing. i meant i will rather mod a maxima on its exterior than a altima exterior. i like the looks of the maxima better and everybody started modding altimas instead of maximas.

Old 09-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Administrator

I fixed your sig for you.. however its too big.. please resize it

ok, you completly did not understand what i said. i said i will rather mod a maxima over a altima. who said i have no dwesire to mod the engine? what i meant was the engine is the same thing as a maxima so there is no difference there. it is modding the same thing. i meant i will rather mod a maxima on its exterior than a altima exterior. i like the looks of the maxima better and everybody started modding altimas instead of maximas.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:51 PM
vsamoylov

i didnt craete a sing. please dlelete it. my bad.

Old 09-08-2004, 04:56 PM

if you are going to stick your nose into an argument it is in your best interest to get the facts correct.

Point: Why would he modify a maxima over an altima?

- he has no desire to modify the engine, and wishes to do cometic mods.
- my post merely says that if you prefer to do cosmetic mods over performance mods then you are a ricer.

we are not talking about his current car, we are talking about why he wants to modify a maxima over an altima.

If you were able to read and comprehend coherently you would have been able to decifer that before sticking your nose into the conversation and thus making making yourself look like an as$.

Thank You
Have a nice day

Ok, lesson learned, no more sticking nose in other people's business. Thanks for your wise words and I woulda put "a$$" instead of just one "$".

p.s.:

Quick Reply: Dyno of 3.5 Altimas VS. 5.5 Gen Maximas