General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Getting aftermarket parts through insurance... questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 02:28 PM
wants the ads to die

Getting aftermarket parts through insurance... questions

I recently had a meeting with a light pole and my rear end. Yes, I know that sounds completly retarded, but it was raining so hard that I couldn't see if I was even on the driveway, the tint in my rear window has bubbled up, and the glass was foggy so it was impossible to see out of my rear view mirror. Yes, I know it was my fault, I should have gotten out and looked but sh*t happens. I'm a young driver and it was bound to happen as much as I hoped it wouldn't but on with the topic.

I'm going to have to replace my bumper, possibly the bar that runs the length of the bumper, the trunk and the spoiler. Now, I thought that this would be a wonderful opportunity to do the '97-'99 rear end conversion since I love the way it looks. While doing so I'd like to get a pair of red/clears. My tail lights aren't broken, but... Anywho, I would also like to replace the spoiler with the Type 2 model.

My question is, how would I go about doing this, if it's possible. If I were to have the body shop order those parts it would mean my car would stay in the shop that much longer unless I call the shop ahead of time to see if they could do this. Also, would this all go unnoticed to the insurance company? Thanks in advanced.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:51 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by Deagle
I recently had a meeting with a light pole and my rear end.
That had to hurt!
Originally Posted by Deagle
.......but it was raining so hard that I couldn't see if I was even on the driveway.......
Okay, here's the part I don't get... The weather was so bad that YOU COULDN'T SEE THE ROAD, yet you were trying to drive your car?! uhhhhhhhhh.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:56 PM
wants the ads to die

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
That had to hurt!

Okay, here's the part I don't get... The weather was so bad that YOU COULDN'T SEE THE ROAD, yet you were trying to drive your car?! uhhhhhhhhh.
Driveway. I was backing up. Like I said, it sounds more stupid than it is. If you don't have anything to add you don't have to come and act an *** about it. I got enough of it from my parents.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:03 PM

I'm sure that it's possible. You would need to talk it over with your insurer to see how much of it they will cover. If you have a high deductible, they won't be paying very much. You will probably need to get a couple estimates from collision repair shops. The price will likely be higher if you tell them that insurance is paying for the repair. I would try about 4 different shops and tell 2 of them that insurance is paying and the other 2 that you're paying out of pocket. It's probably a good idea to take your father with you so they won't try to run up in you dry.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:07 PM
wants the ads to die

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
I'm sure that it's possible. You would need to talk it over with your insurer to see how much of it they will cover. If you have a high deductible, they won't be paying very much. You will probably need to get a couple estimates from collision repair shops. The price will likely be higher if you tell them that insurance is paying for the repair. I would try about 4 different shops and tell 2 of them that insurance is paying and the other 2 that you're paying out of pocket. It's probably a good idea to take your father with you so they won't try to run up in you dry.
Thanks for the advice. On my insurance card (State Farm) it says I have a $250 collision deductable if that tells you how much they would pay for. Thanks again.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:13 PM

You're welcome. If you don't have an insurance adjuster look at the damage, they will likely pay the lowest estimate minus your $250 deductible. If the parts cost the same for the different year bumper, trunk lid and spoiler, they would probably pay that. As for the lights that are not damaged, that would be out of your pocket.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:48 PM
wants the ads to die

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
You're welcome. If you don't have an insurance adjuster look at the damage, they will likely pay the lowest estimate minus your $250 deductible. If the parts cost the same for the different year bumper, trunk lid and spoiler, they would probably pay that. As for the lights that are not damaged, that would be out of your pocket.
Hm, might have to ask for an early Christmas/late B-day present because I don't have a job (although I will soon) but yeah. That kind of money takes a little while to save up. Thanks for all of this, it was really helpful.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:35 PM
STFU n00b!

*IF* the insurance company will do it, usually what they do in cases like this is pay the estimate amount to fix the car, and anything over that is your problem. so the damage done was $1250, but you want $1500 in parts (good guess here), and the labor costs another $1000 for the repair...

they write the shop a check for $1000 and the other $1500 comes out of your pocket.

start flipping burgers!
Old 09-08-2004, 01:25 PM

Generally the way it works is this (but it does differ by company - I use Allstate) If you use one of the insurance co's recomended shops you do not even take your car to an insurancce adjuster. You go to their recomended shop the guy at the shop does the est, fills out all of the paperwork for you, guarantees the repairs for life the the car and you pay only your deductable and that's not paid until the work is done. Under this senerio you will not be able to substitute parts as the shop has to certify to the ins co exactly what parts they used.

or

You can chose to use any shop. You bring your car to the insurance co adjuster who writes out a check to you for the amount (less your deductable) and you go where ever you want and do what ever you want (but, you get no lifetime guarantee). Just like Mat93 indicated above.

Peabody (whose been there and done both types)
Old 09-08-2004, 04:31 PM
wants the ads to die

I talked with my Dad a little about it this morning, and he has already been in two minor front end collisions with the car where he used the co's recommended shops and they screwed up on it. The hood isn't straight (quite bad in some places), they replaced the lights with some that had chips on the edges, screwed up stuff some mechanical things, etc. and because of that he wanted to use a shop of his choice this time, which we are asking around about currently. Thanks for the pointers.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:12 PM

not sure if someone said this already so if its not helpful fugeddaboutit but id fix it myself since it was the drivers fault....and i would just order the new parts for a trunk conversion<<excellent idea btw...the reason why is because if you told your insurance they wouldnt pay full price and your policy would eventually go up.....i would save it for the stuff that wasnt my fault....but i would do anything to save money... good luck brah
Old 09-09-2004, 05:47 PM
wants the ads to die

Originally Posted by nismo_SHA
not sure if someone said this already so if its not helpful fugeddaboutit but id fix it myself since it was the drivers fault....and i would just order the new parts for a trunk conversion<<excellent idea btw...the reason why is because if you told your insurance they wouldnt pay full price and your policy would eventually go up.....i would save it for the stuff that wasnt my fault....but i would do anything to save money... good luck brah
I'll take that into consideration. Thanks for the idea.