General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

question about "salvage" vehicle...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2000, 05:40 PM

Hey guys, I have a question on a subject matter that I am not too familiar with and I know there are perhaps a few insurance gurus amongst us. Here is what I have a question about. A friend of mine who owns a 97 maxima SE (with all the stuff loaded) found out after he bought the car, it had a "salvage title" on it--and now he isn't sure what to do...I was wondering, how much less is the car worth? It is a 97SE with everything and I believe, and has only about 35K on it. Do insurances treat these differently? I heard from him that the Nissan Dealer won't offer him any type of warranty--since everything is voided. *wheww!!*
And btw, he paid 15,800 for it--which i think is a bit high considering it is a "branded vehicle." ANy ideas?
=) thanks.

Brian
Old 09-27-2000, 05:53 PM

No offence but....

He got ripped. If he tried to get it out of it now, he'd take a bath. I believe a salvage title can decrease value 30-50% so the car he bought isn't worth near 15.8k. If he bought it from a dealer, I believe they have to disclose problems like that before sale. Also, most lending agencies won't take a salvage car as collateral so I don't know how he got financed if he did. I'd tell him to consult a lawer if he's trying to get out of it. If not, tell him to enjoy his car because it may never have a problem.
Old 09-27-2000, 06:33 PM

I work in the Insurance Industry!:)

Hey---I know we people in the Insurance Industry are crooks, but I was certain my knowledge would come in hand at some point!!
When you sell a car it has to be indicated on the title that it is a salvaged title. The same can be said when an insurance company sells a vehicle to the public...we have to indicate that or we are held liable!

Good luck
Old 09-27-2000, 06:51 PM

shumax

just a quick thing though--on the title that he has (he lives like two blocks away), I took a look at it and no where on the title does it say that the vehicle is salvaged. I heard from this that there is a difference between "branded" versus "salvaged?" I am pretty good at telling if a car has been repainted. And thus far--looking at the car (which is a metallic sand color) I only noticed the only place repainted was the driver side door, other than that, it has no other indication of anything else. The reason I mention this is b/c I have read there are many scams going forth with things like this--and I was quite curious.
thanks for the info, Shumax
Brian
Old 09-27-2000, 07:19 PM

omg u got ripped the **** off!@#

i have a salvage max 97 se fully loaded 35k miles (perfect) all but the cold climate package. im selling mine 4 12k. hella scams with salvage cars man insurance company pay lees 4 them dont know how much. my car was 5k at the auction barely hit on the driver side barley ne frame damage. my friend who is salvage car business fix everything to spec it was perfect (exception paint job on bumper) but cost me like 8k for nissan dealer parts (wht a rip) to releather interor cause had sun damage and labor and stuff. the purpose of salvage is to let u have expensive cars for half off ex dealer wanted 21k for one (**** tht im 16 years old!). ne ways big dealer can turn a saalvage car into a clean title! so watch out also if u buy a salvage car out of state ex. i live in cali and i buy frm auction in nevada or newhere when i register car in cali it is a titled car! so u can sell for full blue book price. 16k for salvage is way to much should be 11-13k

[Edited by max1ma97se on 09-27-2000 at 09:22 PM]
Old 09-27-2000, 07:35 PM
Johnny

I can't believe it

but I think the "salvage" title came about in the early 90's. Until then the body shops were ripping people by buying wrecks, putting their shoddy workmanship and imation parts together into making something that could fool the eye of the unsuspecting buyer. Leave it to Noo York to crack down on that. I parked next to a Maxima where the badge was a full 2" too high on the trunk. Can you say auto body shop?

Tell your friend this, if he just drives the car and it runs fine, it really doesn't matter what it's worth. You don't have to deal with that unless you're trying to sell. Sometimes in life someone rips you off. When you can you s**** them back with spades. Other times, you can't do much and you learn from your mistake.