General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Interesting night at the track last night..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2001, 02:48 PM

first my group had a convoy of about 9 cars going up. Everything ranging from a miata, to 97 GSX Eclipse to 98 Trans Am, 87 Mustang, 96 6 cyl Mustang, 2001 Eclipse, and of course my mighty Maxima. Anyway being it is Easter weekend and it is really nice outside, everyone and their mom and sister decides to show up. So I was only able to get in one run. I wont mention my time just yet, because it is very embaressing.
Anyway, it seemed as though there was spills left and right. I counted a total of 4 times that racing had to stop, cause someone spilled something at the track. My friends 98 Trans Am which he had just bought 2 weeks ago, he manages to spin 180 degrees at over 100 MPH down the track after he crossed the traps. Very very dangerous. His front nose only scraped the wall after he cut across the track. It was because there was a patch of anti freeze on the ground some car (probbly domestic) had spilled.

Just before that, my friend with the GSX runs a 14.2. Since it is AWD, he can launch at 6000 RPM with no wheelie spin. Damn, this is the car that I want to beat, but its gonna mean supercharger for sure.

When it was finally my turn to run, I tried showing off doing a waterbox burnout but this backfired on me. I had the front of the car going side to side, which is funny looking considering most cars there have their rears going side to side. Instead of me just wetting the tires and then doing the burnout in the burnout box, my dumbass was there trying to burnout WITHIN the waterbox. It was showey with the car going side to side, but i never got the tires hot enough to dry them out, or even smoke them. So, needless to say, off the line 1st and 1/2 way thru 2nd gear was completely useless. I finished an entire 16.3. I couldnt get back in line cause it was too damn long. **** me off.

After that, there was a fight the broke out in the stands, and some of the track employees rode their scooters and cleaning trucks down the track, hopped the wall to break it up.

Maybe next time, i just hope i can top my 15.1 BEFORE any of my significant mods.
Old 04-14-2001, 06:10 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

What was your 60 foot like? Last time at the track, one of my runs was a 15.2 spinning thru all of 1st and halfway thru 2nd. I actually let up in 2nd because I thought my clutch was slipping, but I was later informed that I was indeed spinning well thru 2nd. That run had a 2.38 60', but I was spinning way past the 60' mark

Dave
Old 04-15-2001, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
What was your 60 foot like? Last time at the track, one of my runs was a 15.2 spinning thru all of 1st and halfway thru 2nd. I actually let up in 2nd because I thought my clutch was slipping, but I was later informed that I was indeed spinning well thru 2nd. That run had a 2.38 60', but I was spinning way past the 60' mark

Dave
I think I burned my time slip. If I remember right the 60' mark was either a 2.6 or a 2.8 or something ridiculous like that. It was bad, my car just sat there and spun and spun and spun. Next time I'll make sure I do a smokey burnout. I won't be able to go to the drags this coming friday because I have motorcycle training, but no matter, the track will be open all summer long. Party on!
Old 04-15-2001, 03:42 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

A burnout is VERY BAD for street tires. Why? Because you release oil from your tires. Burnouts on radial tires are for Riceboys and Rednecks. Only slicks need to be warmed up, they are designed that way. Radials stick better when they are cold. When I race, I do a quick spin (2-3 revolutions) to get the dirt off. That's all you need. STAY OUT OF THE WATERBOX!!! Hell, I've run many 14.8s and a 14.7 without even spinning the tires before my run.

If you are having such a hard time hooking up, you should go to jegs.com and get a gallon of VHT traction compound to put on your tires. I have feeling your traction problems are more related to your driving style vs the track prep. I use to think my track really sucked until I realized I just sucked at driving my car.

Dave