General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

cai installed, now service engine light on (why???)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 07:19 PM

i installed the CAI on sunday and it was running smooth till today when the service engine soon light came on and i was like ohhhhh shiettttt.........everything is tight and i rechecked everything. the only thing i didn't know what it was was a black tube that looked like a air vacume tube with two air hose going to it which sat where the cai tube now rest and i relocated it on top.

1max2nv....we have the same model year and i saw what u did with that tube but any ideas why it is doing this?

i tried disconnecting the battery for 2 hrs and it still does it after like 2 miles of driving!
Old 04-18-2001, 08:00 PM
Administrator

you will never know till you pull the code

http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html
Old 04-18-2001, 08:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

maybe the air intake sensor

caused it. if it is positioned in the tube, then just reset or it will reset after about 50 starts. (usually less) if its not in the tube and the engine is started, it will trigger the light. its a sensitive one.
Old 04-18-2001, 09:07 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I'm not sure. Mine didn't come on after the CAI. I would just reset the ECU via the little screw. Drive it around and if it comes up again. Read the code to find out what's triggering it.

Originally posted by 1HOTMAX
1max2nv....we have the same model year and i saw what u did with that tube but any ideas why it is doing this?

i tried disconnecting the battery for 2 hrs and it still does it after like 2 miles of driving!
Old 04-18-2001, 09:11 PM

SprintMax is right

SprintMax is right!
You must pull the error codes before you can continue.
After you have recorded your findings you could reset the ECU. If the error code persists, you must attend it promptly.
Disconnecting the battery is not going to do anything. The results of the power up test and the runtime parameters are stored in flash memory which persist after power has been cut and restored (the eraseable version of an EPROM). The only whay to erase these values from memory is by entering a processor controled reset mechanism (the ECU reset).
For instructions on how to capture the error codes and reset the ECU follow the links that SprintMax has given you or you could go tho www.maximadriven.com (Chestons AKA Chebosto's page)
Peace,

i installed the CAI on sunday and it was running smooth till today when the service engine soon light came on and i was like ohhhhh shiettttt.........everything is tight and i rechecked everything. the only thing i didn't know what it was was a black tube that looked like a air vacume tube with two air hose going to it which sat where the cai tube now rest and i relocated it on top.

Old 04-18-2001, 09:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

u got the web-site wrong ...

Originally posted by Carlos A
www.maximadriven.com (Chestons AKA Chebosto's page)
Peace,
s/b www.maximadriver.com

that is one really useful reference page!!!
Old 04-19-2001, 04:15 AM

You are right -->

My eyes were crosed at that time at night.
Thanks bro (for the correction),

Peace

Originally posted by ohboiya

s/b www.maximadriver.com

that is one really useful reference page!!!
Old 04-19-2001, 07:14 AM

Wow, i had the same airtube when i installed my CAI. For some reason, some Maximas have it and some don't. The ones who have it are normally located somewhere else. That airtube thing did a number on me, i had to cut 2 holes for teh CAI to get it around it. THen i just decide to move it to another spot. When you moved it, you didnt pinch the 2 air lines did you? That can be a prob. You may need to re-set ECU. Very simple.
Old 04-19-2001, 07:51 AM

If you have that canister with 2 air-tube, your car is a cali-spec.

Originally posted by Synki
Wow, i had the same airtube when i installed my CAI. For some reason, some Maximas have it and some don't. The ones who have it are normally located somewhere else. That airtube thing did a number on me, i had to cut 2 holes for teh CAI to get it around it. THen i just decide to move it to another spot. When you moved it, you didnt pinch the 2 air lines did you? That can be a prob. You may need to re-set ECU. Very simple.
Old 04-19-2001, 01:53 PM

so what do i do

what about pinching those tubes? i unplugged it and then replugged it, it made a hiss like air came out. what do i do now.
Old 04-19-2001, 02:20 PM

Re: so what do i do

leave the canister alone. I just turned it upside down without the tubes being pinched. Then I used a zip tie to hold it againest another wiring harness.

what about pinching those tubes? i unplugged it and then replugged it, it made a hiss like air came out. what do i do now.
Old 04-19-2001, 07:33 PM

LIKE whoa! good luck re setting the ECU! its easy as one two three. i did mine, working fine
Old 04-19-2001, 09:45 PM

where did u guys buy the hole saw...i went to home depot and they had one for 3 inches and another one at 3 1/2 inches...should i buy the 3 1/2 inches?...they want $15 for it...and i still gotta by the bit that goes through the middle of it