Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   General Maxima Discussion (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion-1/)
-   -   Suspension install and brake line question. (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion/26736-suspension-install-brake-line-question.html)

ZuMBLe 04-19-2001 09:21 AM

I was wondering if changing the struts on the maxima involes removing the brake lines. On my friend's subaru, we had to remove the brake lines to install the struts. I was planning on changing my brake pads and lines soon. But before I get my new suspension. So I was wondering if I would be doing double the work (bleeding brakes).

ZuM

Sprint 04-19-2001 09:25 AM

nope you don't have to

Jeff92se 04-19-2001 09:25 AM

On the 3-gens it's not needed to remove the brake lines. On the 4-gens I'm almost 100% sure it's not necessary. Some cars to require you to remove the brake lines to do suspension work but not in the maxima's case. It's becuase sometimes the brakes lines go through a hole in the strut bracket and you can't get the strut off w/o removing the line. On maximas the line is bolted on w/ a few 10mm bolts.

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
I was wondering if changing the struts on the maxima involes removing the brake lines. On my friend's subaru, we had to remove the brake lines to install the struts. I was planning on changing my brake pads and lines soon. But before I get my new suspension. So I was wondering if I would be doing double the work (bleeding brakes).

ZuM

ZuMBLe 04-19-2001 09:27 AM

Thanks guys. =) I can do my brake install with peace of mind now. =)

ZuM

ejj 04-19-2001 09:39 AM

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
Thanks guys. =) I can do my brake install with peace of mind now. =)

ZuM

How exactly do you change the brake lines? I was thinking of doing it this summer, but I've never done it. Do you have to drain the break fluid first, or do you just let it spill :)

Anyone have a good link a description of this process?

Oh, on a 4th gen the brake line is clipped to the strut with a medal clip. You can pop it right off with a screw driver.

ZuMBLe 04-19-2001 10:42 AM

You don't have to drain the fluid first. But some will come out. What you do is make sure you seal the brake fluid resevior in the engine bay. You can do this by putting cling wrap (plastic wrap) around the opening and putting the cover on. The vaccum will keep the fluid in. But some will come out.. And you will have to bleed all the fluid out of the braking system after you are done with the lines.

ZuM

Originally posted by ejj5875

How exactly do you change the brake lines? I was thinking of doing it this summer, but I've never done it. Do you have to drain the break fluid first, or do you just let it spill :)

Oh, on a 4th gen the brake line is clipped to the strut with a medal clip. You can pop it right off with a screw driver.

Pervis Anathema 04-20-2001 06:26 AM

Originally posted by ejj5875

I just changed my brake lines to the steel braid type this past week. It is easy. However, the bolts that connect the brake line to the back of the caliper cannot handle a lot of stress b/c the are hollow. (for the fluid to flow through) Be careful, I wrung one off. Make sure you install new metal washers on each side of the bolt.

Also, be sure to use a flare nut wrench on the fitting at the other end of the brake line. If you don't, you will round off the bolt. If you do round it off, use some vice grips. Trust me, it works ;)

Finally, take it easy when trying to open your bleeder screws. If they break, you might end up replacing the entire caliper. ($$$)