General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Apexi S-AFC

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2001, 05:22 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

I just contacted Chebosto about getting one for my car so i can have it already there for my NOS. How hard is this to install?? Should i just take it somewhere to have it done or is it a DYI install. how much you think it would cost at 45-50 an hour for labor. I was going to get an alarm first but the one i wanted was like 500 so i think i will just stay with the stock one and get NOS first. What other gauges should i get for NOS. It comes with NOS bottle gauge, i was think then Fuel pressure and maybe tranny temp, do i need EGT?? I want to run close to a 100 shot eventually.
Old 04-20-2001, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
I just contacted Chebosto about getting one for my car so i can have it already there for my NOS. How hard is this to install?? Should i just take it somewhere to have it done or is it a DYI install. how much you think it would cost at 45-50 an hour for labor. I was going to get an alarm first but the one i wanted was like 500 so i think i will just stay with the stock one and get NOS first. What other gauges should i get for NOS. It comes with NOS bottle gauge, i was think then Fuel pressure and maybe tranny temp, do i need EGT?? I want to run close to a 100 shot eventually.
where you do live?? i can do it for you for the price of a case Dr.Pepper.
Old 04-20-2001, 08:46 AM

Which kit are you planning on ordering? The one from JC Whitney is really basic. It doenst come with any gauges are electronics. You may want to consider a window switch so you dont spray at a low rpm or redline it.

As far as gauges, if you are running anything over 60 shot, i would have a NOS pressure gauge, A/F gauge, and a Fuel Pressure gauge. You dont need a EGT, but if you dont want/have a fuel pressure, then you can get the EGT. I owuld get one or the other, not both though. A trans temp gauge would be nice to monitor your trans. You will know how hot it is. If its hot, pull over and let tranny cool. Oh, dont forget the new fuel pump. THe Walbro fuel pumps seem to be very popular here among the NOS guys.

You can use the nozzle in the "Tee" fitting for the gas line to adjust the flow of fuel too. (Thanks Thomas!)
Old 04-20-2001, 09:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Synki
You dont need a EGT, but if you dont want/have a fuel pressure, then you can get the EGT. I owuld get one or the other, not both though.
EGT is much more usefull than an inexpensive a/f gauge. The more expensive A/F gauges are nice.

I feel that fuel presure and EGT are the way to go.

You need the fuel pressure gauge, because as you work your way up to a 100hp shot you must also increase the fuel pressure. You need a way to observe the fuel pressure to acoplish this.
Old 04-20-2001, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

EGT is much more usefull than an inexpensive a/f gauge. The more expensive A/F gauges are nice.

I feel that fuel presure and EGT are the way to go.

You need the fuel pressure gauge, because as you work your way up to a 100hp shot you must also increase the fuel pressure. You need a way to observe the fuel pressure to acoplish this.
Hey Mardi-didnt you make your own A/F gauge with LEDS? Just curious.
Old 04-20-2001, 12:11 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BrokenMotor

where you do live?? i can do it for you for the price of a case Dr.Pepper.
I live in mass and i'll give you two cases of Dr. Pepper if you want. Also i'm not getting the Jc Whitney one because $500 i can get one with a NOS pressure gauge. So it will save me some money actually, and i've heard that kit is only good for 60 shot max, not sure though. I want the Apexi S-AFC with 3 gauges, NOS, Fuel and tranny.
Old 04-20-2001, 01:10 PM

I live in mass and i'll give you two cases of Dr. Pepper if you want. Also i'm not getting the Jc Whitney one because $500 i can get one with a NOS pressure gauge. So it will save me some money actually, and i've heard that kit is only good for 60 shot max, not sure though. I want the Apexi S-AFC with 3 gauges, NOS, Fuel and tranny.
sorry man, can't help you there, i live in dallas, but if you have any question just ask me, im meeh at "macdaddydu" on aim or Msg me on the board.

btw, JC whitney kit is only 375 shipped, deal ends in July, shots is all depend on the jets, you can change the jet whenever you want(55shot-75shot on stock fuel system), anymore than that you need to get Fuel pump and get your S-afc tunned.
Old 04-20-2001, 07:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Synki

Hey Mardi-didnt you make your own A/F gauge with LEDS? Just curious.
Kinda, but I do have some docs on how to make one from scratch for about $30 in parts. I used a 10led bar and attached it to my gauge pod. I ran ribbon cable from the controller wich is under my dash. It works pretty good and dosent take up any full size gauge spots. just a 1.5"x1/2" bar led.

E-mail me for the docs.