General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Max GLE or Infiniti I30?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2001, 08:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Green 2kSE
I would have bought another I30t but Infiniti was shortsighted enough to drop the 5 speed. I did drive an auto I30 and it felt like a different car altogether. Let's hope with the upcoming two RWD Infiniti models they will offer again a manual tranny.
My Max SE was a 5-speed and I loved it. But I don't miss the 5-speed very much. My i30 is very very fast and very responsive.
Old 04-26-2001, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by MaineI30

My Max SE was a 5-speed and I loved it. But I don't miss the 5-speed very much. My i30 is very very fast and very responsive.
Good, I'm glad we are both happy. I probably would have kept the I30 if it wasn't black on black, last summer's 100F+ weather really killed me.
Old 04-27-2001, 05:15 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by TexMaximum
Let me address the questions asked; Differences!

My 130T has great HID headlights, people stop and ask if I did that to the car every week, and what kinda “cool” bulbs did I use. The maxima does not.
The I30T has a rear power suns hade, great conversational peace, and does work, the Maxima does not.
The I30T does have better grade interior and material then the Maxima.
The I30T has Viscus Limited Slip, the Maxima GLE does not
Nissan service department sucks, Infiniti does not (mine rated #1 infiniti dealer in the nation)
The I30T has more safety features such as side impact airbags, which are not available to my knowledge on the Maxima
The 5 extra HP doesn’t hurt either

And all major body panels are no longer Maxima clones for a fresh European look. I honestly get people in Lexuses, and BMWs stop and ask me about the car. I got it over a 3 series even, because those are dime a dozen, and the I30T is rather limitly produced.

On top of all this, if you know what your doing, you can get all these cool improvements, plus that nifty cup holder that comes out the dash for about 800 to $1200 over a fuuly loaded Maxima, and the HID and limited slip alone is worth more then that, not to mention how great I feel they look.

I also was going to consider a is300, and bought this over it, due to refinement, looks, and interior room. I think the techy effect will ware off on the is300, everyone has those stupid tail lights, and in Texas, you will burn your self on the chrome shift ball
<awaits flames from this post since it dared to criticize the max>

The Max does have side airbags, but they're optional.
Old 04-27-2001, 06:52 AM

Very good points. I guess the I30 would be the better deal, if you could get the car for a little over a loaded Max. BTW, on the way to work last night, I saw 9 BMWs in a row in the 'fast lane' of I-95 in Greenwich. They truly are a dime a dozen in some places. Absolutely great cars though.
Old 04-27-2001, 07:30 AM

Re: Re: Your

Originally posted by MaxedOut97SE

I wasn't comparing a CL to a Maxima, I was comparing an Acura to a Nissan. And I'm not talking about a '99 TL, I'm talking about the 2001's. My friend and I went to the Acura dealership and looked at a row of TL's from behind, and they all had that problem. And bash the Maxima all you want, but I read a quote one time that said "Fit and finish is as good as the best luxury car." I can't remember who exactly said that, but it was a reputable source.
hmmm let's just see whos better,
"revs like no other engine this side of a Ferrari V8"--Maxima
"simply the best v6"---Maxima
"the Nissan "VQ" 3L V-6, has won seven consecutive 10 Best awards, one each year since its inception in 1995" Maxima
Get me some quotes that good about a TL or any honda/acura
toyota/lexus, this is also about the I30 because it is the same as a maxima
Old 04-27-2001, 07:53 AM

hehe....

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97

hmmm let's just see whos better,
"revs like no other engine this side of a Ferrari V8"--Maxima
"simply the best v6"---Maxima
"the Nissan "VQ" 3L V-6, has won seven consecutive 10 Best awards, one each year since its inception in 1995" Maxima
Get me some quotes that good about a TL or any honda/acura
toyota/lexus
Please find the post in this thread where I compared the two engines and bashed the VQ.......

FOR THE LAST TIME, I WAS COMPARING HOW THEY ARE PUT TOGETHER FROM AN INTERIOR STANDPOINT. 4TH GEN MAXES (PRIMARILY 97 TO 99 MODELS) ARE INFERIOR TO THE 99 AND UP TL. I KNOW BECAUSE I HAVE TAKEN MOST INTERIOR PIECES OFF FROM EACH VEHICLE. THE TL CUTS CORNERS AS WELL, BUT NOTHING LIKE NISSAN DID WITH THE 97 TO 99 MAXIMAS. THEY ARE BEING COMPARED BECAUSE A FULLY LOADED MAX HAS ABOUT THE SAME MSRP AS A TL WITHOUT THE NAV SYSTEM.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. THE TL IS PUT TOGETHER BETTER. GET OVER IT.

If you choose not to believe it, that's fine.
Old 04-27-2001, 08:11 AM

I don't believe it.
Old 04-27-2001, 08:42 AM

hehe.....

Originally posted by medicsonic
I don't believe it.
Yes, but you don't have a choice.

YOU MUST BELIEVE IT!

Old 04-27-2001, 08:58 AM

EVIL MODERATOR!!:vampire:
Old 04-27-2001, 09:04 AM
Chummin

Re: hehe....

Hey, thats cool but this is where I come from....
you have to compare year to year....
01 Maxima vs 01 Accord: Max wins
01 Infiniti vs 01 Acura: Infiniti wins because its a max not a Honda.
01 Camery vs 01 Maxima: Not worth the paper.
01 lexus(es300) vs Infiniti. better than the acura, but still has a way to go in this price range.

Shoot, when I drove the honda I pulled out of the lot, went around the corner and pulled right back in the lot. The sales guy didn't say a word. He knew I was leaving.
Drove the Maxima and had to let her rip getting on the freeway. That is when I asked the sales guy about the infiniti and he knew I was gone. The Acura sales agent kept telling me that everybody was inferior and to be honest it felt like honda with snap. Not bad if I liked the honda but that thing was like driving the little yellow bus for kids with special needs.

Beemers: Love em but if you want options you get it in the shorts... The I30t is loaded with 2 options. 1. Nav system. 2. Heated seats. Thats it.

I really like it when I walk out to my car and there are people looking it over and I finally get to walk up, open the door and get in. Sure they call me a valet driver and all, but I really know who it belongs to.

You REALLY want a KICK *** car? you have to check out the new 02 Q45.. HOLY S*#T that car will snap your head back and your ears will collect the tears of joy as they slide straight back from your eyes. That car will set you back a pretty penny, but ... Just go test drive one if you can...

Old 04-27-2001, 09:59 AM

Re: hehe....

Originally posted by bill99gxe

FOR THE LAST TIME, I WAS COMPARING HOW THEY ARE PUT TOGETHER FROM AN INTERIOR STANDPOINT. 4TH GEN MAXES (PRIMARILY 97 TO 99 MODELS) ARE INFERIOR TO THE 99 AND UP TL. I KNOW BECAUSE I HAVE TAKEN MOST INTERIOR PIECES OFF FROM EACH VEHICLE. THE TL CUTS CORNERS AS WELL, BUT NOTHING LIKE NISSAN DID WITH THE 97 TO 99 MAXIMAS. THEY ARE BEING COMPARED BECAUSE A FULLY LOADED MAX HAS ABOUT THE SAME MSRP AS A TL WITHOUT THE NAV SYSTEM.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. THE TL IS PUT TOGETHER BETTER. GET OVER IT.

If you choose not to believe it, that's fine.

I don't have an opinion on the Max v. TL, but I know that when I got in the 3.2TL and test drove it, after driving an i30 all weekend, I was astonished at how cheap the interior looked and felt. I didn't feel like I was in a slightly nicer Accord -- I felt like I was IN AN ACCORD.

Oh well,
Old 04-27-2001, 10:07 AM

Re: Re: hehe....

Originally posted by Chummin
Hey, thats cool but this is where I come from....
you have to compare year to year....
01 Maxima vs 01 Accord: Max wins
01 Infiniti vs 01 Acura: Infiniti wins because its a max not a Honda.
01 Camery vs 01 Maxima: Not worth the paper.
01 lexus(es300) vs Infiniti. better than the acura, but still has a way to go in this price range.

Shoot, when I drove the honda I pulled out of the lot, went around the corner and pulled right back in the lot. The sales guy didn't say a word. He knew I was leaving.
Drove the Maxima and had to let her rip getting on the freeway. That is when I asked the sales guy about the infiniti and he knew I was gone. The Acura sales agent kept telling me that everybody was inferior and to be honest it felt like honda with snap. Not bad if I liked the honda but that thing was like driving the little yellow bus for kids with special needs.

Beemers: Love em but if you want options you get it in the shorts... The I30t is loaded with 2 options. 1. Nav system. 2. Heated seats. Thats it.

I really like it when I walk out to my car and there are people looking it over and I finally get to walk up, open the door and get in. Sure they call me a valet driver and all, but I really know who it belongs to.

You REALLY want a KICK *** car? you have to check out the new 02 Q45.. HOLY S*#T that car will snap your head back and your ears will collect the tears of joy as they slide straight back from your eyes. That car will set you back a pretty penny, but ... Just go test drive one if you can...
Preach it Brother, in regards to which company is the best I must say that Nissan/Infiniti took the cake when they brought that new 2002 Q45 to town, That car is absolutley BAD A$$. Just sitting in one gave me chills, Everything in it is perfect, voice regonition, those unbelievable headlights which from seeing it in person they are awsome, the greatest thing is when you turn the key the headsup display on the dash shows you this big INFINIT logo on it like it is saying welcome to INFINITI we are the ****. As far as speed goes that is one fast sedan it puts out almost as much horsepower as a v-12 benz!!!!!!, and it is a v-8 that just shows that nissan knows what is up, the new Altima will put all others in its class to shame just like the new Q and the new Maxima-----------need I say more about that other that 260Hp and a 6-speed. They compare the new q45 to the new ls430(aggrivated avalon) and the q puts it to shame, hell the new Q45 makes my moms 1999 Q45T look like a G20 for **** sake. I am going to get my dad to go with me to drive one really soon and I will let everyone know how fast it is cause he is on good terms with the dealer and we get to take it out alone
Old 04-27-2001, 11:13 AM
is invisible

Q?

I'll take an LS430 over it anyday...the new Q is fugly IMHO. Big cars don't need to be THAT fast.
Old 04-27-2001, 11:39 AM

Re: Re: hehe....

I don't have an opinion on the Max v. TL, but I know that when I got in the 3.2TL and test drove it, after driving an i30 all weekend, I was astonished at how cheap the interior looked and felt. I didn't feel like I was in a slightly nicer Accord -- I felt like I was IN AN ACCORD.

Oh well,
My comparison revolves around the 99 Max and 99 TL, not the new Max or I30.......they MSRP similarly and I think should be built comparably, but they're not IMHO....

From what I've seen of the new I30 interior, I have no doubt that my impressions would be similar to yours, Anthony........

Hopefully the R&D and QC Nissan forgot about in the later years of the 4th gen were put into the new Max and I30 instead.....
Old 04-27-2001, 11:45 AM

Re: 2002 Q45....

There is more to a car than horsepower ratings. The new Q's tranny has a lower gear ratio than the LS430 (2.76 vs 3.26), so the Q doesn't feel that fast off the line. The looks are nothing special, elegant at best. Yes, it's packed with technology, but considering the target market, I don't think it will change the status quo.
Old 04-27-2001, 11:47 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: hehe....

Does the I30 have HID lighting? The TL does.

Does the I30 have triptronic and 5 auto speeds? The TL does

The I30s are really nice looking cars and it's a real hard choice between the two.

Originally posted by bill99gxe

My comparison revolves around the 99 Max and 99 TL, not the new Max or I30.......they MSRP similarly and I think should be built comparably, but they're not IMHO....

From what I've seen of the new I30 interior, I have no doubt that my impressions would be similar to yours, Anthony........

Hopefully the R&D and QC Nissan forgot about in the later years of the 4th gen were put into the new Max and I30 instead.....
Old 04-27-2001, 12:01 PM

*sigh* again

Originally posted by Jeff92se

The I30s are really nice looking cars and it's a real hard choice between the two.

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff.....there you go again.....showing your true Hon-duh roots.....

tisk, tisk.....

HOW DARE YOU CRITICIZE THE MAX!......errr, wait.....THE I30!.....err, wait....THE MAX'S OLDER BROTHER!

Old 04-27-2001, 01:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: hehe....

Originally posted by Jeff92se

HID: Yes

Triptronic: No but who cares

TL: tiny car
Old 04-27-2001, 01:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hehe....

Tiptronic/manumantic is nice for the test drive. Hardly anyone who has it, uses it. Most tiptronics are faster in automatic mode anway.

HID: Yes

Triptronic: No but who cares

TL: tiny car
Old 04-27-2001, 06:32 PM

wow

I was always under the impression that relibility went in the order of #1 toyota #2 honda #3 nissan; I guess it acura line of honda is not as well built as Honda's.

I agree with Chummin, driving in an infiniti vs nissan or lexus vs toyota, you just notice a difference, less moving around, quieter, smoother in general.... I
think the biggest difference I have ever seen was in a mazda millenia, drove in a base model one, was terrible, drove in a top model one, was like a whole new car, very smooth quiet and luxurious...

Personally I like a lot of the Infiniti's better, but that extra $$ really hurts, I'm glad to hear that so many are satisfied with it because I was afraid I might buy one and be dissapointed....... I agree 100% with bmw's being to common, not only do they sell a lot of them, but all their models look a like, just bigger on the outside.... They really need to think about completly redesigning the body....

Also, I'm really glad to hear about service being good, because all the nissan dealerships I've been to, when I say 'loaner' you would think I was talking in japanese, they're like 'uhhhhh uhhhhhh no .... no loaners today', even by appointment, it's kind of ridiculous... The service available for infiniti seems to be like at carmax; I dropped of an accord because the windshield wiper fluid would only shoot out from one side and they were the nicest people, I just walked in and they offered me a loaner for the day, which was a much nicer vehicle than mine, and when I came to pick it up at 5 o'clock they had even given me a free tank of gas.... now that's service...

To the original post, I think the summary is, if you want a quiter, smoother, overall more luxurious vehicle get an infiniti; if you wan a sportier, slightly rawer in feeling vehicle, but easier on the budget, get a maxima..

-Nate