General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

can worn dist. cap/rotor cause lack of power and bad fuel econ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 05:12 PM

can worn dist. cap/rotor cause lack of power and bad fuel econ?

i bought my 91 max se from a mechanic and he said he checked over every thing on the car except he didn't replace the cap and rotor so he said I should do that soon. I've only had the car a few days and I noticed a considerable lack of low end power, the engine feels like it's not getting enough air or it's getting too much fuel. the air filter is practically new and there's no stumbling or missing during acceleration, it just feels like it's being smothered a little until it gets higher in the rpms. my question is can a worn dist. cap and rotor really cause a considerable loss in low end torque like the manual says in the troubleshooting section? and is the excessive fuel consumption (I'm almost down to half a tank and only have 100 miles clocked on the trip odometer - that definitely isn't right, is it?) thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by ryanmax
i bought my 91 max se from a mechanic and he said he checked over every thing on the car except he didn't replace the cap and rotor so he said I should do that soon. I've only had the car a few days and I noticed a considerable lack of low end power, the engine feels like it's not getting enough air or it's getting too much fuel. the air filter is practically new and there's no stumbling or missing during acceleration, it just feels like it's being smothered a little until it gets higher in the rpms. my question is can a worn dist. cap and rotor really cause a considerable loss in low end torque like the manual says in the troubleshooting section? and is the excessive fuel consumption (I'm almost down to half a tank and only have 100 miles clocked on the trip odometer - that definitely isn't right, is it?) thanks in advance.
If you are replacing the cap and rotor, you might as well do the plugs and wires too. At the very least, check the conditon of the cap and rotor to see if the arcing surfaces are badly worn. If the manual says that it can cause your condition, it's safe to say that it can.