General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

some help me

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2000, 09:55 PM

I'm 16 years old and got my first ticket. My court date is on the 12th of this month. I ran a kids bus stop, well actually on accident. I had my license for about three months now. What's gonna happen? a fine, provoke of license, prison (doubt that). Any advice cause i don't wanna lose my license, but i'l pay any fine. Waiting six months after my permits was a pain in the ****, but waiting until (or whenever) i'm 18 is probably suicide. J/k bout the suicide part, but it's gonna be hell. HELP any advice pleaze

TIA
Old 10-06-2000, 11:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I did something worse when I had my license for 3 months (got caught going 59 in a 25, and didn't even have to appear in court). You will more than likely have to pay a fine and that will be it. It will appear on your record though and may cause you insurance to go up. I wouldn't be too concerned about any other penalty though, and the fine will be less because you are provisional (mine was only $100).
Old 10-07-2000, 10:42 AM

u sure

cause i have no fine on my paper. my friend says that it depends on the judge (hope he nice). ur story some kid in my engine class said driving double the speed limit is counted as manslaugther
Old 10-07-2000, 10:48 AM
The missing moderator

Fines are on the back of the tickets usually.

You will more than likely get fined... will go on record. Not sure if this is considered a moving violation. But if it is, you can be SURE that your insurance will be high.

-Shing
Old 10-07-2000, 10:59 AM

The easiest way, but not the cheapest, is just to plead guilty via. mail, and pay the fine. Apply for traffic school to keep the ticket off your record, and then drive carefully for the next 18 months. Remember, you can't take traffic school again for 18 months, so be carefull.

Luck
Old 10-07-2000, 11:10 AM

Seeing that your my daughters age...I would recomend the
following:
Appear in court, talk to the district attorney (try to talk
to this person before they call your name or before court
is actually in session)and ask
if you can plea bargin to a lesser fine...like having
the ticket reduced to a broken tail light or something.
Each state works differently...but with a clean record
and a stern but understanding judge you should be OK.

The judge will for sure ream you out or lecture you for
running a bus stop...(If this was a school bus stop)
those are serious concerns for childrens safety...but your not gonna loose your license
or anythinhg like that....If your loosing sleep over this
(which is sounds like you are) I would call the court where
you must appear and ask to speak to the district attorney
and just plain ask whats the worse case for you....Or even
go to the court Monday during the day and ask someone in
person.....What you did was wrong but its only a ticket
not the end of the world...

Good luck and watch those school zones...the police are like sharks in and around schools when children are present.
Old 10-07-2000, 11:20 AM

I appeared in court several times during high school, and I learned a couple of things. For starters, dress up. If the judge sees that you are taking this seriously, he's more likely to be lenient. And be humble and polite - don't beg, and don't give excuses. Finally, if possible, have your parents go with you. Judges are elected, and your parents are voting age. Plus, if he sees that they take an interest in your discipline, he may decide to leave the punishment to them. Every time I've gone to court, I've either gotten off or gotten the fine reduced by at least half.
Good luck.
Old 10-07-2000, 07:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: u sure

Originally posted by 93max
cause i have no fine on my paper. my friend says that it depends on the judge (hope he nice). ur story some kid in my engine class said driving double the speed limit is counted as manslaugther
My fine came with a court notice saying that if I wanted to contest, and it gave a date in the mail, but then it allowed me to plead guilty by mail, which I did as I didn't want to mess with a judge as I knew I would have no chance at traffic school or anything. I think minors have to appear in court to get traffic school as an option, if you are in CA, and this is a goood thing. You won't have to worry about anything but a fine though, I guarentee that.

Oh and FYI, anything higher than 15 MPH over the speedlimit is considered reckless endangerment and you can be arrested for it (I almost was but my mom came to the scene). YOu can't take traffic school and it stays on your record 5 years. . . I'm sure it is manslaughter though if someone dies as a result of it. . . That is why I never approach that anymore. Learned my lesson being caught once
Old 10-07-2000, 10:36 PM

Thanks all the people who responded

BTW i'm in Minnesota.