General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

fastest maxima

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 11:58 AM

Im thinking about buying an used maxima, which generation of maxima do u guys think is the fastest and has the most potential to improve performace in reasonable budget?
Old 05-02-2001, 12:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by bb525
Im thinking about buying an used maxima, which generation of maxima do u guys think is the fastest and has the most potential to improve performace in reasonable budget?
The 97 - 99 models got the best overall reliability rating. You would probably want to by any Max from 95 on.
Old 05-02-2001, 01:07 PM
Administrator

as my man here said..

97 - 99 for saftey
95 for speed - fastest 0 - 60
2k for saftey and speed (if its in your budget) - fastest 1/4 mile
Old 05-02-2001, 05:42 PM

Gen 4 is nice cause it's lighter. Gen 3 may be better cause I think the engines (some?) were iron block. Can you say BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?
Old 05-02-2001, 08:33 PM

My 4th gen was faster than my 5th gen, due to lighter weight and lack of stock exhaust, and catalytic converters. The 95 models are easy to mod because they dont have the OBDII emissions. With a 95 I know the cats can be removed without any problems. I'm not certain on the 96 & up.
Old 05-02-2001, 08:46 PM

I read that in 1996 the engine was changed to all aluminum and it therfore made the car 100 lbs lighter; although that could have made it slower (Perhaps the 100lbs did not counter the other metal that was used), in any case that would mean that 95 was the only 4th gen that didn't have an all aluminum engine and could be why it's the fastest (just a thought)...

Just wondering, why would iron block be faster, or what did they used before 96 & why was it faster; & in 2001 are they still using all aluminum??

To answer your question most will say 95-96 will be your best choice for speed (were talking a couple tenths of a second); and 97-99 for safety/looks .... oh & the SE trim

-nate
Old 05-02-2001, 08:51 PM
EZ

Originally posted by nforg
I read that in 1996 the engine was changed to all aluminum and it therfore made the car 100 lbs lighter; although that could have made it slower (Perhaps the 100lbs did not counter the other metal that was used), in any case that would mean that 95 was the only 4th gen that didn't have an all aluminum engine and could be why it's the fastest (just a thought)...

Just wondering, why would iron block be faster, or what did they used before 96 & why was it faster; & in 2001 are they still using all aluminum??

To answer your question most will say 95-96 will be your best choice for speed (were talking a couple tenths of a second); and 97-99 for safety/looks .... oh & the SE trim

-nate
Actually, the 1995 was the first year of the change to an all aluminum block. The 95, 96 were probably the fastest Max's of the 4th gen. Overall though, the 5th gens are faster.
Old 05-02-2001, 08:58 PM

They didn't just change the block from Iorn to aluminum in '95...it's was actually a completely new engine from the ground up. Doesn't have a timing belt anymore, and has computer controlled timing(you can't change the VQs timing), and even though it produces the same hp (190), it has A LOT MORE TORQUE!
Old 05-03-2001, 05:40 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by deezo

The 97 - 99 models got the best overall reliability rating. You would probably want to by any Max from 95 on.
Wrong, 2000+ has the best reliability rating and sales and performance.

Old 05-03-2001, 05:44 AM

i dont understand..the reason why the 95-96 is faster?because of that emissions thing or weight?
Old 05-03-2001, 06:03 AM
Administrator

both...

Early Production 95 Max's had OBDI - less restrictions and were faster
Late Model 95, all 96+ had OBDII - more restrictions a bit slower..

some issues arise with the weight of the 96 .. thus making it faster than the 97 onward..

however.. in theory a 97 - 99 GXE will be faster than a Fully Loaded 96 SE

Originally posted by JibaroMax
i dont understand..the reason why the 95-96 is faster?because of that emissions thing or weight?
Old 05-03-2001, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Russ2kSE

Wrong, 2000+ has the best reliability rating and sales and performance.
Show me where I am wrong dude. I haven't seen any reviews on the 2000 or 2001 Max yet. But show me where the 2000 Max can have a better rating than the 97 to 99 Max. It can't get any higher than what is shown here. Nobody is talking about sales. Look around the road there are many more 4th Gen Max's on the road than 5th Gen. Performance is not much different between the two because the 5th Gen is heavier. Prove your points.

Old 05-03-2001, 08:42 AM

There are a ton of 4th gens around because Nissan dropped their prices. They were trying to boost their sales in order to get out of the red.

I'm personally biased toward the 5th gen because I own it, but I feel the 4th gens are great cars. All the generations are. More performance parts have been produced for the 4th gen because it's older and the number of vehicles on the road is far more than the 5th gen. Of course the 5th gen has only been out for 2 years. Okay, I'm just going back and forth here and not making any realsense. I'll stop now. Just my 2 cents!!

In conclusion I would say the 4th gen because of the the supply aspect of performance upgrades available. I'm done!!
Old 05-03-2001, 08:53 AM

This may sound odd but I wanted to buy a 2000 Max but I had a problem getting in and out of the car. The interior is narrower and the center console is higher than the 4th Gen therefore my legs wouldn't get comfortable. I am very pleased with the 4th Gens tho. It's an auto and that's cool. I am not planning to race it.
Old 05-03-2001, 09:13 AM
RussMaxManiac

There are plenty of 4th gens around because they were cheap cars. The 5th gens are holding there resale values better than the 4th gens. Also your data is old. I already saw and I don't recall where the ratings it was on the net somewhere that the 2000 Max was most reliable car to all its competition and its older car. Just because you own a 4th gen doesn't make it better. I owned 2 4th gens, 2 5th gens, and I will say the 5th is better overall in performance, quality, and realibility. 5th gen doesn't have rattles from front bumper to back bumper.

Show me where I am wrong dude. I haven't seen any reviews on the 2000 or 2001 Max yet. But show me where the 2000 Max can have a better rating than the 97 to 99 Max. It can't get any higher than what is shown here. Nobody is talking about sales. Look around the road there are many more 4th Gen Max's on the road than 5th Gen. Performance is not much different between the two because the 5th Gen is heavier. Prove your points.

Old 05-03-2001, 09:15 AM
RussMaxManiac

Prove that is narrower? Sorry but its not, its a illusion to you. The car is wider and longer for more interior room, and that is for sure, especially for back seat people. The only item on the 5th gen is the center console that takes up more room, but its more supportive for those who like to relax.

This may sound odd but I wanted to buy a 2000 Max but I had a problem getting in and out of the car. The interior is narrower and the center console is higher than the 4th Gen therefore my legs wouldn't get comfortable. I am very pleased with the 4th Gens tho. It's an auto and that's cool. I am not planning to race it.

Old 05-03-2001, 09:20 AM

There are plenty of 4th gens around because they were cheap cars. The 5th gens are holding there resale values better than the 4th gens. Also your data is old. I already saw and I don't recall where the ratings it was on the net somewhere that the 2000 Max was most reliable compart to all its competition and its older car. Just because you own a 4th gen doesn't make it better. I owned 2 4th gens, 2 5th gens, and I will say the 5th is better overall in performance, quality, and realibility. 5th gen doesn't have rattles from front bumper to back bumper.

Like I thought, no proof. Stick to the question at hand. Give me new data that will tell me that the 97 / 99 Max's are not as good as shown of the chart. Furthermore, the post was to help a guy out in making a decision on what type of Max he should by. If you feel the 2000 Max is better(which I personally don't and I have driven them), then tell him.
Old 05-03-2001, 09:26 AM

Russ you are nuts. You are trying to tell me I was comfortable in the 2000 Max when I tried it out. I am going to lunch. Keep on postin but I am not responding to ya. Peace.
Old 05-03-2001, 09:38 AM
RussMaxManiac

Actually you have no proof. You did not show me a chart for the 2000+'s on it, so you have no say so that the 4th gen is better. I am going by pure experience between cars since I have owned both, and everyone else here also agrees the 5th gens are better period.

Been here since 1996, I think I know what I am talking about buddy...

Like I thought, no proof. Stick to the question at hand. Give me new data that will tell me that the 97 / 99 Max's are not as good as shown of the chart. Furthermore, the post was to help a guy out in making a decision on what type of Max he should by. If you feel the 2000 Max is better(which I personally don't and I have driven them), then tell him.

Old 05-03-2001, 09:43 AM

yea Russ's has own more maximas then the dealers themselves
Old 05-03-2001, 09:50 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by yongjun
yea Russ's has own more maximas then the dealers themselves
Yeah but at least I keep my cars more than 1 year YJ :P

Old 05-03-2001, 10:09 AM

Been here since 1996, I think I know what I am talking about buddy...

Well, it's a damn shame then.
Old 05-03-2001, 10:16 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

There are plenty of 4th gens around because they were cheap cars.

What is "cheap"? What price are we talking about?

The 5th gens are holding there resale values better than the 4th gens.

Let's see: my local dealer has Maxima GXE's for $17,988, which is $11 less than what I got my 99 for at a $6k+ discount off MSRP. I doubt 5th gens are doing any better than 4th gens on resale. Nissan prices their cars too high to begin with.

Just because you own a 4th gen doesn't make it better.

Just because you own a 5th gen (today; that may change tomorrow) doesn't make yours better either. As far as I'm concerned, a 5th gen is an ugly 4th gen with a better exhaust and interior.

I owned 2 4th gens, 2 5th gens, and I will say the 5th is better overall in performance, quality, and realibility. 5th gen doesn't have rattles from front bumper to back bumper.

I hope that's accurate for Nissan's sake, but I have heard some rattle complaints from 5th gen owner's here, including yourself. Granted, it does appear that they have decreased.

I still standby the 89 to 94 Maximas as the best Nissan has ever put together. Build quality is more on a par with cars in the 30k and 40k range rather than the 20k range. Inflation and car price increases are just evil......
Old 05-03-2001, 10:27 AM
EZ

I agree about the build quality on the 3rd gens. Back then, Nissan were fanatics about build quality. In fact, they used the same grade steel as the Mercedes Benz in all of their cars (even the sentra!!).

But the 5th gens with their rattles, faulty tranny, and fuel cut offs for the 5 speed....I just don't know about their reliability. I have never heard so much complaints from the owners of their car. My 4th gen has NEVER given me a problem. VERY few rattles and I drive the hell out of her.

Next time, I think I might go with acura tls or something
Old 05-03-2001, 10:36 AM
RussMaxManiac

LOL, well I traded in my 2k after 1 year and 20k of miles, got 23k for it, paid 26k new.... Not bad at all I might say.

Originally posted by bill99gxe

There are plenty of 4th gens around because they were cheap cars.

What is "cheap"? What price are we talking about?

The 5th gens are holding there resale values better than the 4th gens.

Let's see: my local dealer has Maxima GXE's for $17,988, which is $11 less than what I got my 99 for at a $6k+ discount off MSRP. I doubt 5th gens are doing any better than 4th gens on resale. Nissan prices their cars too high to begin with.

Just because you own a 4th gen doesn't make it better.

Just because you own a 5th gen (today; that may change tomorrow) doesn't make yours better either. As far as I'm concerned, a 5th gen is an ugly 4th gen with a better exhaust and interior.

I owned 2 4th gens, 2 5th gens, and I will say the 5th is better overall in performance, quality, and realibility. 5th gen doesn't have rattles from front bumper to back bumper.

I hope that's accurate for Nissan's sake, but I have heard some rattle complaints from 5th gen owner's here, including yourself. Granted, it does appear that they have decreased.

I still standby the 89 to 94 Maximas as the best Nissan has ever put together. Build quality is more on a par with cars in the 30k and 40k range rather than the 20k range. Inflation and car price increases are just evil......

Old 05-03-2001, 11:51 AM

Has anyone ever heard of the saying...Don't buy a car during the first production year?? A lot of car producers put out a subquality product after a redesign or new car design. Everyone is probably partial to their particular generation. Whether or not any of us have sufficient facts to support our claims doesn't really matter. The guy who started this thread wanted to know which car can be made the fastest. The 5th gen stock is faster from an HP standpoint. 190 vs. 222 Plain and simple. Like I said everyone is loyal to their cars. You just gotta pick the one you like the best and deal. Just my 2 cents!
Old 05-03-2001, 06:03 PM

I'm not saying your wrong or anything, but can you show me an article that says 1995? I only ask because I read the information from a road & track magazine and I assumed they were a credible source although everyone is known from time to time to make small errors... Although perhaps I am remebering the # wrong, but I woulda bet 100 bucks it was the 96' ... before your post at least .... anyways, source?
Thanks

-Nate

Originally posted by EZ

Actually, the 1995 was the first year of the change to an all aluminum block. The 95, 96 were probably the fastest Max's of the 4th gen. Overall though, the 5th gens are faster.
Old 05-03-2001, 09:38 PM
EZ

Originally posted by nforg
I'm not saying your wrong or anything, but can you show me an article that says 1995? I only ask because I read the information from a road & track magazine and I assumed they were a credible source although everyone is known from time to time to make small errors... Although perhaps I am remebering the # wrong, but I woulda bet 100 bucks it was the 96' ... before your post at least .... anyways, source?
Thanks

-Nate

Here is a website that has all you need to know about the 4th gen Max. http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/
Old 05-04-2001, 10:15 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

There are plenty of 4th gens around because they were cheap cars. The 5th gens are holding there resale values better than the 4th gens. Also your data is old. I already saw and I don't recall where the ratings it was on the net somewhere that the 2000 Max was most reliable car to all its competition and its older car. Just because you own a 4th gen doesn't make it better. I owned 2 4th gens, 2 5th gens, and I will say the 5th is better overall in performance, quality, and realibility. 5th gen doesn't have rattles from front bumper to back bumper.

Russ-

You gotta give it time. A 2000 Maxima is only 1 year old. It takes a lot more time than 1 year to determine a car's reliability. I wouldn't trust any publication that rates the 5th gen better than the 4th gen. Why? Because the 5th gen has had some pretty significant problems. I know the auto trannies are already on recall (something you've already experienced) and the 5th gen VQs are also suffering from the fluttering rpms on deacceleration. I don't ever remember hearing about this on 4th gens.

Dave
Old 05-05-2001, 04:51 AM

I agree 100% with Dave B. The 5th generation has only been around for what, 18 months?

-Nate

Originally posted by Dave B

Russ-

You gotta give it time. A 2000 Maxima is only 1 year old. It takes a lot more time than 1 year to determine a car's reliability. I wouldn't trust any publication that rates the 5th gen better than the 4th gen. Why? Because the 5th gen has had some pretty significant problems. I know the auto trannies are already on recall (something you've already experienced) and the 5th gen VQs are also suffering from the fluttering rpms on deacceleration. I don't ever remember hearing about this on 4th gens.

Dave
Old 05-05-2001, 01:30 PM

here is my thing.....

I know I'm alittle biased but I believe the 85-88 maxima's are up there to. There were several features in our cars that others didn't have, not to mention it was ahead of its time. We still have our orginal window sticker a 87 fully loaded auto SE had a MSRP of $16k.

Originally posted by bill99gxe