General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Next Mod Should Be....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2000, 10:35 PM

In additon to the mods in my sig, and a CAI thats coming out of backorder tuesday, what are some other recommended "GO" mods? I know of other mods, but I am asking for ones that will make the Maxima go faster, not counting the Stillen SC.

BTW, someone else posted that the CAI didn't help much, and that the car was faster stock, is this true?

Last, should I be looking at a Tranny cooler because of my HP gains? If so, from where? Are the Maxima Autos really as ****y as several posts I've seen!? Hope not, if so, hope the cooler will help if I find out where to buy one thats right for the Maxima.

Old 10-08-2000, 01:45 AM

I added a tranny cooler to my 95....

It should really only take you an hour or 2 to do yourself, they only cost around 50 to 100 bucks for a pretty good one,don't know how much they really help but for a precausion(sp?) it's pretty cheap.
Old 10-08-2000, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by TexMaximum
In additon to the mods in my sig, and a CAI thats coming out of backorder tuesday, what are some other recommended "GO" mods? I know of other mods, but I am asking for ones that will make the Maxima go faster, not counting the Stillen SC.

BTW, someone else posted that the CAI didn't help much, and that the car was faster stock, is this true?

Last, should I be looking at a Tranny cooler because of my HP gains? If so, from where? Are the Maxima Autos really as ****y as several posts I've seen!? Hope not, if so, hope the cooler will help if I find out where to buy one thats right for the Maxima.
IMHO I don't think they are. For example I have read on the V6 accord bbs that they have more tranny problems than we do. It gets so bad its to the point where honda has a TSB and replaces the tranny! Everyone seems to forget that we don't drive V8's with domestic auto's. You can just go around the corner and buy a shift kit for max like a domestic. As for the CAI it will produce more torque than a stillen/JWT intake in the lowend and midrange. However it seems that the SI/JWT have more toppend power. Hell I would gladdly take the CAI over SI/JWT because you get more AVERAGE torque thus more area under the curve.
Old 10-08-2000, 02:36 AM

What is a shift kit??

Quote>>>You can just go around the corner and buy a shift kit for max
Old 10-08-2000, 06:56 AM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

ECU Upgrade from UPRD.. Chebosto has been

working on..
Old 10-08-2000, 07:37 AM

The extra mods are up to you !!! A tranny cooler is a great
thing to have regardless of anything else you do to your car.
For the price....its added protection...Also, I would use
a good synthetic trans fluid...The synthetic can handle
higher heat loads and may even help the trans shift a tad
better !!!!!!!!

Tmeyers-Colorado
Old 10-09-2000, 07:50 PM

I know the mods are up to me, but maybe I didn't ask right. Are there any other "GO" mods that I don't know about that I should consider next?
Old 10-09-2000, 09:03 PM

Stillen Intake or PRCAI cold air intake
worth 3-5 HP

Hi flow CAT...worth another 3-4HP
Old 10-09-2000, 09:06 PM

Thanks Tmeyers:

The CAI is on the way. Is it really too noisey? I hear the Cat doesn't add much. Anyone have good word in the UDP?
Old 10-09-2000, 11:17 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

TexMax,

your next mod? how about an ECU

it's perfect! $425 and you can get some serious power..

interested? click on the ECU info link on my sig.

we need 13 more ppl to reach the $425 goal.
Old 10-10-2000, 06:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'd go with the ECU!
$425 for over 25hp...DAMN that's good. Exhaust cost about the same or more and it's good for maybe 10hp.

I'll get one once it's ready for 97+ maximas.
Old 10-10-2000, 02:56 PM

Hey Chebosto! Where do I go to get this ship or signup, I read the info on your site. It sounds too good to be true!
Old 10-10-2000, 03:59 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~cchiu1/uprd.html
Old 10-10-2000, 05:39 PM

Mods? First, your CAI should work nicely in concert with your y-pipe and GReddy catback system. These parts tend to complement each other, functioning better as a "team" than individually. At least, that's what I hear...

For more mods, consider: installing an Unorthodox Racing underdrive pulley, extrude honing your intake manifold, polishing the inside of your throttle body, adding the NOS 50-70 HP shot of nitrous oxide, adding Redline Water Wetter to your radiator (to make it run cooler), putting Mobil 1 in the crankcase, swapping in a carbon fibre hood, mounting drag radials for the strip, slapping on new struts and springs to lower your center of gravity, you already have the RSB and strut tower braces... That enough for awhile? These will help. They're not listed in any particular order.
Old 10-10-2000, 11:20 PM

Wow, thats bullseye for answering my question. This got my juices going Can't wait to get the CAI, but affraid of all this talk of Hydo Locking my engine going around on this forum.

Where can extrude honing of my intake manifold be done, don't trust anyone where I live

Hope the UDP is worth some gains I just added 17x8 tires for extra traction. Getting hondas is never this much fun in my z28, because they don't have any exuses

Old 10-11-2000, 05:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by TexMaximum
Wow, thats bullseye for answering my question. This got my juices going Can't wait to get the CAI, but affraid of all this talk of Hydo Locking my engine going around on this forum.

Where can extrude honing of my intake manifold be done, don't trust anyone where I live

Hope the UDP is worth some gains I just added 17x8 tires for extra traction. Getting hondas is never this much fun in my z28, because they don't have any exuses

I don't think anyone with a CAI has had water problems. There was a few times that I've gone through massive puddles and started to sweat, but nothing ever happened. And unless you get massive flooding and try to drive through a one foot puddle, you should be ok.

As for the UDP, my friend has one in his camaro and he said that ever since he got it his air conditioning take forever to cool down and it doesn't even get that cold. Has anyone had this problem?
Old 10-11-2000, 12:37 PM

Thats a good point. I want to know if is worth the install and hassle.
Old 10-11-2000, 03:32 PM

VB Mod for the tranny.

VB(valve body) mod will make your auto shift faster and last longer. I just put it in last week and its one of my favorite mod now. The shifts are firm and the gears seem to grab harder. The downshifts are superfast. Faster than any human can. Don Cooper is the man who does this and he runs 13sec 1/4mile in his auto.
Old 10-11-2000, 04:20 PM

Where do I go to get this VB mod? How much? Hard to install?
Old 10-11-2000, 04:45 PM

For you, the URPD ECU should be a no-brainer. Next the the SC, its provided the greatest raw horsepower increase seen of any single mod taken in isolation. Beware the UDP. There are some nightmare stories about the Unorthodox unit coming apart and ripping the guts out of cars. At least two people have reported this - so its not a one-off fluke. One of the more regular posters here had this experience, Matt Payne, IIRC. Matt, you out there? I think you can read some more about this at Jeff's MegaMax site. On the plus side, everyone who has ever done the UDP has stated that there is no perceptable differnce in any of the cars power options, including A/C.

Old 10-11-2000, 05:22 PM

ha

you have to send it out to extrudehone they might have a site with the same name
Old 10-11-2000, 06:38 PM

Thanks a lot guys. I'm excited about the VB. Sorry about the stupid questions on that. I know who makes them.

I agree, I really don't think the UDP is worth possible future problems. Some have also side it can cause the oil to leak. I assume through vibration if its not installed perfectly flush.

[Edited by TexMaximum on 10-12-2000 at 03:35 PM]
Old 10-12-2000, 01:04 PM

Good Choice!

VB mod is definitely worth it. A Mod that actually helps the longevity of the tranny and increase performance, whatelse can you ask for? I'm very happy with it so far. Enjoy!