General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Learning Stick

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 11:15 AM

Learning Stick

tomorrow i am going to get a 92 se max and it is a 5 speed but i don't know how to drive standerd but if you guys can give me step by step on how to. I know that have to drive it to learn but i just wanna have a clue on what i am doing like do i press on the clutch all they way to the floor when i break. do i have to level out the clutch with the gas through out 1st gear or w/e thanks.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:17 AM
dot dot dot ...

Come man are you kidding? Most people learned on their own, not from an internet tutorial. Get in there just try it before you ask.

After a 15-20 minutes you'll get used to it.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm needing a caw

Type the following phrase into Google

how to drive a stick shift
Old 03-23-2005, 12:30 PM

http://www.standardshift.com/ welcome local person.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:18 PM

rent a car with a manual tranny for a day.. then practice on it. Its better then tearing up your new car's tranny trying to learn how to drive it. I say spend a couple of bucks and rent a car for a day.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:47 PM

best tip I can give is don't be to eager with the gas. Slowly release the clutch with the car in first gear and let it engage (no gas yet). Remember that point that the clutch starts to catch, THEN press the gas. This helped me from stalling a bunch.

Also lots of people release the clutch when they get nervous and the car bucks and stalls, Just press the clutch to go back to N if you get stuck.

Try the FAQ http://www.standardshift.com/faq.html
Old 03-23-2005, 06:49 PM

yeah, get a rental car...odds are the 3rd gen's tranny isn't in the best of shape.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:04 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

i couldnt drive stick when i bought my car so i had to have my friend drive the car home for me. later that night we went to an empty parking lot to just practice starting fomra stop, 15 minutes later i took it out on the road and was fine. you cant learn from reading, you gotta learn by doing. dont waste your money on a rental car, the few minutes it takes you to learn stick will not hurt your tranny, but if for some reason you are that bad and it does, then you shouldnt be on stick to begin with.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:38 PM

just remember to lift the clutch SLOWLY! if its a fairly good/new clutch the car should start moving with out any gas... u have to lift it super slow.. and it will start crawling foward. do that a few time till u can feel when its going to catch... then u can start giving it gas...when ur lifting...

people often tell non stick drivers u have to give it gas the same time u llift the clutch... DONT THINK LIKE THAT.... (at first)

its hard to explain... your going to forget whateveryone told you once u get behind the wheel.

HAVE FUN!!!
Old 03-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i had to learn on my own, took me about a good hour or so to get it all down, go behind the wheel and experiment with driving a stick, step by step by what these guys are saying.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:45 PM

I learned how to drive stick on my own but I had a pretty good idea on what to do. No one in my family drove stick shift so I couldnt' count on them and my friends didn't want me to burn their clutch, haha. I bought my first car (real cheap) pretty much to learn how to drive stick. Get used to 1st gear and reverse and you're all set. It won't take long after that to get on the road.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:54 PM

Learn to feel the point where the clutch just bites and hold that while the car starts to move... once ya learn how to feel it... you'll be fine...

For all the other details... it...
Old 03-23-2005, 10:26 PM
Way out West

My dad explained to me how a clutch worked. This helped greatly in my understanding how to drive it.

Just remember that the engine is spinning and the clutch isn't. You want to try to engage it with just enough force to keep the engine spinning, while allowing the clutch to grab onto it and move the wheels.

Think of a carousel at the park. If it is spinning slowly and you grab it, it will stop (stalling the car). If it is spinning super fast and you grab it, it will throw you around or damage your arm(spin the tires, fry the clutch, etc). If it is going just the right speed, you can grab it and jump on without any problems.

Yeah, it sounds stupid, but that's how I learned, it made sense to me and I have been driving a stick for all of the last 15 or so years without any problems.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:28 PM

I nad never driven stick before and it took no time to get used to my maxima. The only thing I retain is: clutch engaged fully=cuts connection between motor and tranny.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:41 PM

You can brake with the car in gear to slow down. Before you come to a stop you have to clutch in though. Having it in gear actually helps you slow down, so I usually have it in gear while braking until the rpms drop below 1500 rpm, then I push the clutch in before coming to a stop.

The no gas method is how I learned where the clutch catches, just find a empty parking and practice there. Starting off is the hardest, once you get that down everything else is easy.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:00 PM

Some great advice, once you figure out how to get the car moving everything else will seem so easy! Then you can get better and use more advanced techniques to save your clutch! Have fun, dont get to pissed off! And start in a parking lot!
Old 03-25-2005, 10:55 PM

yea the hardest part of stick driving is the first gear engagement point...when i was starting out..ive stalled a buncha times on stoplights by droping the clutch too fast..and trying to get the car in my garage was a pain..you really have to have a feel for the clutch and when you do then it becomes easy..but starting from 1st gear and uphill parking/lauching takes the most time to learn..but once you get stickshift driving down, you will never want to go back to the slush box..its just a world of difference..good luck bro..also a word of advice..when you're practicing..i would move your rearview mirror all the way up so you can't see the person behind you..it used to make me nervous seeing someone behind me when i was at a stoplight