General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

No 120mph speed limiter!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2001, 11:35 AM

On my way from New Orleans to Lafayette, I hit a stretch of I-10 outside of LaPlace called the "3-mile bridge". As the name implies, it is a flat, slightly elevated concrete bridge, 2 lanes and an emergency lane, that goes over a swampy area.

With very little traffic out at 7:00 a.m. and 40 miles from a major city, I decided to air out the Maxima. I hit 129mph rather quickly. That is the fastest I've ever driven! The car wanted more, but just as I was getting the nerve to feed her some more Shell Supreme, I began to enter a fog zone so I shut it down. As I was coasting down to cruising speed, I noticed how slow 90 seemed after being so far over the century mark.

I always wondered if my '95 GLE auto was limited to 120, now I know for sure.
Old 05-07-2001, 11:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think only the GXE without the C/C package has a speed limiter. Your GLE and mine SE don't have one. Fastest I gone was 140mph. I always wonder since the speedometer only goes up to 140mph., how much faster I'm actually traveling. A member here, sx7r had a digital reader of some kind and it had him up to 150mph. once if I remember correctly. Btw, my "testing ground" is in New Orleans East. When you going from the Westbank, and exit the Chef Menteur exit. It has a very long stretch of a road where you can really test your car out and it hardly have any cops.
Old 05-07-2001, 11:54 AM

Ya gotta love those bridges!!! I hit ~140 in my friends RX7, nice

My dam Max does have the speed limiter though. I was playing with an M3 once between here and Baton Rouge and that dam limiter was pising me off.
Old 05-07-2001, 11:56 AM
Administrator

sx7r told me how to get rid of the limiter and its real easy
Old 05-07-2001, 12:02 PM
Autobahn Max

Sprintmax - just how easy is it? And how do you do it?

Old 05-07-2001, 12:06 PM
Administrator

well here is the deal.. its one wire.. you got to unplug it.. but you loose your speedo.. well for you no speed limit you wouldn't care.. but i have paced myself for what RPM is the legal limit in what gear..

i think i will go create a web page real quick.. gimmie 5 mins

Originally posted by Autobahn Max
Sprintmax - just how easy is it? And how do you do it?
Old 05-07-2001, 12:12 PM
Autobahn Max

Thanks for the tip...my ECU upgrade actually got rid of my limiter. Although I run on the autobahn, quite a few sections have speed limits, so I still need a speedometer. And on the sections that have limits, photo radar is alive and well. I got a ticket from a photo radar in the mail one day for going 3km/h over the speed limit (that's like 2mph -cost me 30 German Marks, or about 15 bucks). Thanks for the input though.

Old 05-07-2001, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
I think only the GXE without the C/C package has a speed limiter. Your GLE and mine SE don't have one. Fastest I gone was 140mph. I always wonder since the speedometer only goes up to 140mph., how much faster I'm actually traveling. A member here, sx7r had a digital reader of some kind and it had him up to 150mph. once if I remember correctly. Btw, my "testing ground" is in New Orleans East. When you going from the Westbank, and exit the Chef Menteur exit. It has a very long stretch of a road where you can really test your car out and it hardly have any cops.
Man, I don't think I could afford the ticket in New Orleans. From what I've heard, they are about twice what you would pay for a State Trooper's ticket. I guess it really doesn't matter, at that speed, you would be going to jail anyway!

Hey Matt, have you moved into your new house yet?
Old 05-07-2001, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by sinewave

Man, I don't think I could afford the ticket in New Orleans. From what I've heard, they are about twice what you would pay for a State Trooper's ticket. I guess it really doesn't matter, at that speed, you would be going to jail anyway!

Good thing I got a radar detector. It's not the best out there, but it does its job. No tickets since I got it. Although, I might invest in a Valentine One radar detector soon. I know that area pretty well, so I know when the cops like to hang out there once in awhile. Yep, at that speed, I'm not afraid to pay a hefty fine, it's just having to go to jail what might scare me. My buddy got busted racing once and was put in jail. Let just say, he told me he never ever want to go back again. Not exactly the most pleasant experience.
Old 05-07-2001, 03:54 PM

I knew my '95 GLE didn't have a limiter either, but people questioned me when I posted it way back in December.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=3
Old 05-07-2001, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot

Good thing I got a radar detector. It's not the best out there, but it does its job. No tickets since I got it. Although, I might invest in a Valentine One radar detector soon. I know that area pretty well, so I know when the cops like to hang out there once in awhile. Yep, at that speed, I'm not afraid to pay a hefty fine, it's just having to go to jail what might scare me. My buddy got busted racing once and was put in jail. Let just say, he told me he never ever want to go back again. Not exactly the most pleasant experience.
There was big talk on in the forums about radar detectors. Dude, trust your eyes and learn some techniques to keep from getting caught. If you are going too fast, a radar won't matter anyway.
Old 05-07-2001, 06:28 PM

120 for me..:-(
Old 05-07-2001, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
well here is the deal.. its one wire.. you got to unplug it.. but you loose your speedo.. well for you no speed limit you wouldn't care.. but i have paced myself for what RPM is the legal limit in what gear..

i think i will go create a web page real quick.. gimmie 5 mins

so when you do that the ODO won't keep counting? when you plug it back in will it reset the ODO or just keep counting?
Old 05-08-2001, 10:41 AM

On my way from New Orleans to Lafayette, I hit a stretch of I-10 outside of LaPlace called the "3-mile bridge". As the name implies, it is a flat, slightly elevated concrete bridge, 2 lanes and an emergency lane, that goes over a swampy area.

With very little traffic out at 7:00 a.m. and 40 miles from a major city, I decided to air out the Maxima. I hit 129mph rather quickly. That is the fastest I've ever driven! The car wanted more, but just as I was getting the nerve to feed her some more Shell Supreme, I began to enter a fog zone so I shut it down. As I was coasting down to cruising speed, I noticed how slow 90 seemed after being so far over the century mark.

I always wondered if my '95 GLE auto was limited to 120, now I know for sure.
I know what bridge you are referring to.. It crosses that big *** swamp. Careful cause Louisiana troopers love to sit on the bridge and catch you speeding by and radio ahead to their buddies at the end of the bridge.
Old 05-08-2001, 11:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by costcowholesale

so when you do that the ODO won't keep counting? when you plug it back in will it reset the ODO or just keep counting?
I'm pretty certain it just "freezes" the ODO. I wonder if at that point your ECM mileage and your ODO mileage don't match... hmm
Old 05-08-2001, 07:23 PM

Yea we ben in for two weeks now. I got a day off today because I worked the week end, so I spent all day cleaning out the garage. It had 30 years of another mans junk in it!!! My garbage men are going to hate me, LMFAO!!!

My wife heads out of town in a few weeks so I can do the Hatiesburg trip, I'll let you know when so we can all go.
Old 05-09-2001, 05:41 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Yea we ben in for two weeks now. I got a day off today because I worked the week end, so I spent all day cleaning out the garage. It had 30 years of another mans junk in it!!! My garbage men are going to hate me, LMFAO!!!

My wife heads out of town in a few weeks so I can do the Hatiesburg trip, I'll let you know when so we can all go.
Cool, Sounds like the next tech session will be at your place! This time, I'll bring the donuts.