General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Sold the maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 09:44 PM

Sold the maxima

It was a good time around these forums for the past 4-5 years, but its time to move on. Bigger and better things like the white Evo in my driveway await me. It would have taken a ton of mods to bring my maxima up to what my Evo does stock and that's what convinced me to switch.

And I'm still amazed that a stock Evo can outhandle my maxima with Eibachs/Konis, Subframe connectors and Stillen sway.

I won't announce the new owner, but if he wants to step in and announce himself he can. He bought it with everything except the Volk rims.

Since my Black Volk rims won't fit my new car without spacers, I have decided to sell them.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=392981

It was good while it lasted. And yes, I'll keep maxmods running as long as I can, which should probably be for a while.

Drew
Old 03-31-2005, 09:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sounds like a good change towards better things man..would love to see pics of the new evo
Old 03-31-2005, 09:58 PM
Chassis Freak

Congrats. Is the Evo towing the U-Haul now?

Thanks for MaxMods, it's a fantastic repository of info. Don't ever let it die, pass it on if you have to!
Old 03-31-2005, 10:07 PM

Some pictures of the new one:
http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~drewm/temp/dcp_3407.jpg
http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~drewm/temp/dcp_3408.jpg
http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~drewm/temp/dcp_3409.jpg

Recaro Leather, 8" Infinity sub, height adjustable HIDs and power moonroof. I love it. Handles better than my maxima ever did.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:24 PM

Unfortunately I can't seem to find a trailer hitch for the Evo but I'd love to have one. I know they make them because I've seen an episode of Top Gear where they towed a camper at over 120mph with an Evo. If anyone knows of someone who makes one, let me know.

Originally Posted by VQuick
Congrats. Is the Evo towing the U-Haul now?

Thanks for MaxMods, it's a fantastic repository of info. Don't ever let it die, pass it on if you have to!
Old 03-31-2005, 10:30 PM

Congrats on your Mits and good luck if Mits stay under the U.S radar.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:38 PM

Why would you be more impressed that an Evo can out perform ur old max? I mean explain this too me. Sure a brand new car is going to outperform most 5-6 year old sedans. But hey its an evo so hope ur happy.

BTW always liked your car pics.. Wish I could have gotten that bumper off ur car :P

Proph
Old 04-01-2005, 06:00 AM

That Evo is one fugly car! Good luck with it. The whale tail looks absolutely ridiculous, talk about rice.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:29 AM
Jedi Knight

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
That Evo is one fugly car! Good luck with it. The whale tail looks absolutely ridiculous, talk about rice.
to each his own...my money is on that "rice" to outperform your max in anything at all....

Nice looking evo...white though?....are you on evolution.net? Here is a link to a friend of mines car on there: http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...1&page=7&pp=15
Old 04-01-2005, 06:35 AM

Hey, u forgot me too Ola......

Best of luck with your new purchase drew, you wont be disappointed.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:18 AM

Numerous cars will outperfom the Maxima and I could care less. I was merely saying that the Evo is fugly. Even a Neon will outperform the Maxima and I wouldn't buy that POS either.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:20 AM
Ford Only.

I hope I know who the new owner is.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:37 AM
Im izz sexay

Nice car I love evo's. Especially after 2F2F. But all jokes aside that is one nice car.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:38 AM

I know who it is!

And have fun with the Evo!!
Old 04-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Give me a Bud Light Holmes

wow sorry to see you go i always loved your max especially the volks but you got to do what you got to do
Old 04-01-2005, 08:08 AM

I've always kept an eye out for the best handling car with 4 doors, and as long as my budget allows, I'll probably keep upgrading until I hit the limit. I was just suprised that it ended up being an Evo. I was all ready to plunk the money down for an STI, but then I drove the Evo and it was night and day in terms of handling.

I highly recommend that everyone go down to your dealer and test drive one. I've driven the CTS-V, Corvette, 330i, 328i, G35, 350z, and STI but the Evo is just a step above them all in handling. This car blows my mind every time I drive it.

Originally Posted by Prophecy1
Why would you be more impressed that an Evo can out perform ur old max? I mean explain this too me. Sure a brand new car is going to outperform most 5-6 year old sedans. But hey its an evo so hope ur happy.

BTW always liked your car pics.. Wish I could have gotten that bumper off ur car :P

Proph
Old 04-01-2005, 08:34 AM

Congrats on the new car. I bet it's a blast to drive.

I would argue that maxmods is the best asset to the community after the org so be sure to post here before you dismantle it and maybe somebody else can take it over.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by drewm
I've always kept an eye out for the best handling car with 4 doors, and as long as my budget allows, I'll probably keep upgrading until I hit the limit. I was just suprised that it ended up being an Evo. I was all ready to plunk the money down for an STI, but then I drove the Evo and it was night and day in terms of handling.

I highly recommend that everyone go down to your dealer and test drive one. I've driven the CTS-V, Corvette, 330i, 328i, G35, 350z, and STI but the Evo is just a step above them all in handling. This car blows my mind every time I drive it.

Congrats on the new car but i tend to disagree. I have also driven 2004 EVO, 2003 350Z and 2003 G35 coupe 6speeds and of them all i think the G35 handled the best. I loved when the EVO swept pass 3000rpm and the turbo took you to full boost but the responsive torqueness of the 3.5 VQ's felt so much better.
Best of luck and be sure to go easy on the clutch
Old 04-01-2005, 09:57 AM
Jedi Knight

Originally Posted by KMax2988
Hey, u forgot me too Ola......

Best of luck with your new purchase drew, you wont be disappointed.
sorry buddy...
Old 04-01-2005, 10:00 AM

Good to hear you're enjoying the the Evo Drew... bad azz car..

I'll be selling my maxima soon as well..
Old 04-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Congrats on the EVO and I hope it treats you good in the coming years. I seriously considered the EVO, but I just didn't have much faith Mitsu would be selling cars in the US 3 years from now therefore warranty work would be a problem. I think the EVO is a badass little ride. I like the no spoiler or midwing look a lot more than the big wing, but that's just my opinion.

I know what you mean about the handling. I know my G35 isn't an EVO, but the handling is so much better than my Maxima with SFCs, H&Rs, Z-rated rubber, light rims, ME strut mounts, and Konis. I doubt the ultimate numbers would be much different, but it's the handling feel, the steering, and the suspension tuning that make it a far easier car to drive quickly in the turns. I'm eagerly awaiting my crappy OEM V-rated Bridgestone rubber to wear out so I can get something better (anything would be better).

Not to knock the EVO at all, but did you catch the latest issue of Car & Driver? They have a huge article on their long term test EVO. The majority of the editors found it a great car until you drive for more than 1 hour, then the fun wears off. I've never driven one, but apparently there is a lot of road noise and the ride can be quite punshing. Over the course of 40K miles it needed a new clutch, syncros, tires, and brakes. Obviously the car was beaten hard often, but the ending out of pocket maintenance costs was over $3700!!! The cost to replace the brake pads at all four corners? $907. That's Brembo for ya. They then added the Vishnu Stage One Plus Kit and ran 12.7@109mph, however the car had to go back to Vishnu four times for reliabiliy and driveability problems.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:40 PM
brotherhood of tq

it sounds that many people here have something hate full to say about the evo. im glad u made that purchase. a turbo, awd and great handling is the bet way to go
Old 04-01-2005, 11:56 PM

I'd completely agree on the synchros, my 3rd gear synchro has always shifted in with a little bit of a gear catch every time. But fortunately that's what the 10yr/100k powertrain warranty is for. And I'd be really suprised if Mitsu just packed on up and left, I'm pretty sure there would be lawsuits all over if the warranty wasn't honored by someone.

Fortunately I am willing to give up a lot when it comes to handling. Harsh ride, noise, heavy clutch, nothing really bothers me, even in stop and go traffic. Tire noise is about equal to my RE750s on 18s. The engine noise from the timing belt is pretty loud from the front, especially when you get on it. The exhaust note is very deep, but can drone slightly at around 1700rpm if you have your windows open and actually sets off car alarms just cruising around at 10mph. Ride comfort is actually pretty close to what the Maxima was, with the Eibachs and Konis (set at full stiff). Big bumps are softer, but little bumps are harsher in the Evo when compared to the Maxima.

I do drive about 30-50 minutes each way on my commute to work, and I still find it a whole lot of fun carving the curvy freeways every day. I bet the fun factor wears off fast for people who just want an easy to drive car. I'm betting a lot of those people would be better off in a G35 or STI. Both of those cars are much less punishing daily drivers. The Evo definitely isn't for everyone.

Originally Posted by Dave B
Congrats on the EVO and I hope it treats you good in the coming years. I seriously considered the EVO, but I just didn't have much faith Mitsu would be selling cars in the US 3 years from now therefore warranty work would be a problem. I think the EVO is a badass little ride. I like the no spoiler or midwing look a lot more than the big wing, but that's just my opinion.

I know what you mean about the handling. I know my G35 isn't an EVO, but the handling is so much better than my Maxima with SFCs, H&Rs, Z-rated rubber, light rims, ME strut mounts, and Konis. I doubt the ultimate numbers would be much different, but it's the handling feel, the steering, and the suspension tuning that make it a far easier car to drive quickly in the turns. I'm eagerly awaiting my crappy OEM V-rated Bridgestone rubber to wear out so I can get something better (anything would be better).

Not to knock the EVO at all, but did you catch the latest issue of Car & Driver? They have a huge article on their long term test EVO. The majority of the editors found it a great car until you drive for more than 1 hour, then the fun wears off. I've never driven one, but apparently there is a lot of road noise and the ride can be quite punshing. Over the course of 40K miles it needed a new clutch, syncros, tires, and brakes. Obviously the car was beaten hard often, but the ending out of pocket maintenance costs was over $3700!!! The cost to replace the brake pads at all four corners? $907. That's Brembo for ya. They then added the Vishnu Stage One Plus Kit and ran 12.7@109mph, however the car had to go back to Vishnu four times for reliabiliy and driveability problems.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
it sounds that many people here have something hate full to say about the evo. im glad u made that purchase. a turbo, awd and great handling is the bet way to go
I don't think most people are being hateful, it's just that the EVO/STi demand a lot of compromise because they are really like street-legal race cars.

I bet the fun factor wears off fast for people who just want an easy to drive car. I'm betting a lot of those people would be better off in a G35 or STI. Both of those cars are much less punishing daily drivers. The Evo definitely isn't for everyone.
I wouldn't say the STI is much of a comfortable cruiser. I've riden in them and they're pretty punishing. I'd definitely go for the EVO though. It's just a better performance car and if you've got to compromise, why not go all the way As for ride, I find my G35 sedan on the Sports suspension to ride pretty dang firm and pavement cuts can be rather harsh. If people are looking for a smooth ride in a G35 coupe or sedan, you won't find it.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:13 PM

sell out.. <sigh>
Old 04-09-2005, 01:03 AM

soo whose the new owner.... alfonso with a black maxima now?
Old 04-09-2005, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
What a comment! That's like telling an employee who reported to you, "don't let the door hit you on the way out" when he got a promotion over your head.

EVO is rice? That's a ridiculous statement. The new one does a 4.3 0-60, and featured in the May Road & Track. Just read the article, maybe you will change your mind. Maybe not.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by nupe500
to each his own...my money is on that "rice" to outperform your max in anything at all....

Nice looking evo...white though?....are you on evolution.net? Here is a link to a friend of mines car on there: http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...1&page=7&pp=15
*LOL* I don't know where the unrealistic views of the Maxima come from. I've read all the articles over the last few years on the STi and EVO. I have only driven the STi. For anyone who doesn't know what it's like to reach 60 in under 5 sec, I urge you to take a test drive, you will have fun. The new EVO does a 4.3, that's into the 911 Turbo/Turbo S range, and would dust a 911 Carerra 4S (maybe not top speed which is 174). Rice.......
Old 04-23-2005, 10:32 AM
OG

Congrats on the Evo. I'm sure you're enjoying it as much as I am!!
Old 04-23-2005, 02:47 PM

evos are nice
Old 04-23-2005, 05:37 PM

Oh wow, i remember when i first joined this forum a couple years ago i was absolutely in LOVE with your car (still am, BTW, looks so hot). but glad you're moving onto bigger and better things. WHITE is an awesome color, good choice
Old 04-24-2005, 02:23 PM

goodluck with the new car bro!

ill be picking up my '02 S4 soon and handing over the keys to my max this week to its new owner

Ant