General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Why have so many members.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005 | 11:04 AM
dot dot dot ...

I didn't sell my 4th gen but did pick up a 5.5g because I also thought it was time to move on. So I did, just didn't leave anything behind.
Old 03-30-2005 | 12:29 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
I disagree, today's cars are actually better than ever. I bet your Maxima is loaded with sunroof and has A/C, so what makes the new cars junk?
As far as dropping a fresh powertrain in a 9 yr car....well think of it as spending 3 grand on a car that's worth 3 grand. That could be a sound decision if you do all of the work on the car yourself, and don't give a crap about your image. If you're a truck driver then its fine, but if you're a professional, then you need to display the success and drive a late model vehicle.
My point with the powertrain is ,think of buying a new house every time one needs a roof.

My point is why every 3-5 years spend $25,000+ on a car ,in 20 years that will be $120,000+.
Im not hating i like new cars but theres things in them i dont want=$$$$ and have to pay for if i want one. A GREAT car for the times use to cost less than a average persons salery ,thats what i want. There getting out of hand and im putting my foot down.
Old 03-30-2005 | 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by krismax
My point with the powertrain is ,think of buying a new house every time one needs a roof.

My point is why every 3-5 years spend $25,000+ on a car ,in 20 years that will be $120,000+.
Im not hating i like new cars but theres things in them i dont want=$$$$ and have to pay for if i want one. A GREAT car for the times use to cost less than a average persons salery ,thats what i want. There getting out of hand and im putting my foot down.

I agree that it is just plain wrong to spend 25K on a brand new car every 3 yrs (for someone who is not making 7 figures). But a car, unlike a house, is not made to last 50-100 yrs...nothing's wrong with getting your money's worth out of the car by driving it until it's dead and then junking it, but I just have a problem with putting more money into something than its worth.
Old 03-30-2005 | 01:07 PM
Father of the 00 VI

I agree that it is just plain wrong to spend 25K on a brand new car every 3 yrs (for someone who is not making 7 figures). But a car, unlike a house, is not made to last 50-100 yrs...nothing's wrong with getting your money's worth out of the car by driving it until it's dead and then junking it, but I just have a problem with putting more money into something than its worth.
I agree but im putting $2500 in a $2500 car thats been paid for. On the other hand you can buy a $25,000 car that WILL be worth $2500 .
Old 03-30-2005 | 01:09 PM
Custom User Title

I test drove an 04 Maxima a while back, and it was lovely. I guess its the feeling of a new car that people want. Everything felt perfect, and it made me feel good just driving it. I don't get that with my 95 GLE.
Old 03-30-2005 | 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by krismax
I agree but im putting $2500 in a $2500 car thats been paid for. On the other hand you can buy a $25,000 car that WILL be worth $2500 .

No one said you need to buy a brand new car. You can buy a very nice used car for $10K.
Old 03-30-2005 | 01:14 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
I test drove an 04 Maxima a while back, and it was lovely. I guess its the feeling of a new car that people want. Everything felt perfect, and it made me feel good just driving it. I don't get that with my 95 GLE.
Thats the way people are now with there marriages
Old 03-30-2005 | 01:30 PM
I am Roid Rage

I sold mine because I wanted to go faster
Old 03-30-2005 | 01:41 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by the chariot
95 owners:10 years old
96 owners: 9 years old
97 owners: 8 years old
98 owners: 7 years old
99 owners: 6 years old

Old 03-30-2005 | 01:45 PM
is invisible

Someone I know traded an '03 Accord EX-L on a '05 Accord EX-L. Got $18k for trade-in paid $23k for the new one. $5k for 2yrs ain't too shabby.
Old 03-30-2005 | 01:45 PM
I'm needing a caw

Maybe they are buying Astro vans with better rear suspensions?
Old 03-30-2005 | 05:25 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally Posted by 98maxsel
Just noticed that 4th gen owners have been trying to sell their cars more than usual lately. Just time to upgrade or get something newer?

-Tim

Not me. My '96 pooped on me and I went out and bought a '99. I almost bought a G35 but decided to stick with a 4th gen.
Old 03-30-2005 | 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se

No use in buying Nissan Quests when its the same suspension
Old 03-30-2005 | 05:43 PM

I disagree, today's cars are actually better than ever. I bet your Maxima is loaded with sunroof and has A/C, so what makes the new cars junk?
As far as dropping a fresh powertrain in a 9 yr car....well think of it as spending 3 grand on a car that's worth 3 grand. That could be a sound decision if you do all of the work on the car yourself, and don't give a crap about your image. If you're a truck driver then its fine, but if you're a professional, then you need to display the success and drive a late model vehicle.
I agree with you. When I drove the S500 and S430 4Matics, after the MB people poured laundry detergent on the pavement and wet it down and told me to floor the accelerator, I was impressed by the traction control. I know, there are some on this forum who still insist they can brake themselves better than ABS, so stability/traction is probably a bigger gimmick in their minds. But it was a very interesting feeling of control imho. Today at the 3 Across America I talked to the prod. mgr about fake dual exhausts and led tails, two things that I have a passion for. He said they don't need fake duals in the 3 Series, it does nothing for performance (obviously as it's an inline 6). Also, the 2k6's all have led tails in conjunction with the adaptive braking system. No, they don't look like riced-out alteezas, sorry. The new 3 takes the stability/traction one step further, when you turn on your wipers it applys the brakes and wipes the rotors (obviously imperceptible to the driver), and does such when you abruptly let off the gas.

Just imagine, if one lets his ego go, and buys one of these 3's in May with a 325 badge and doesn't have to have top of the line, he can get all the above features for probably 2-3 grand more than a Maxima. Or you can get a Maxima with fake duals and gimmicky moonroof for 2-3 grand less.

All kidding aside, we all work hard for a reason. Sometimes we even step on other people when the time is right and get ahead ourselves. I've never gotten a job where there weren't half a dozen others interviewing for a position. So a time does come to reward ourselves. That's just me! No disrespect at all for those who are frugal, as there is also something to be said for that.
Old 03-31-2005 | 07:13 AM
Give me a Bud Light Holmes

Originally Posted by the chariot
95 owners:10 years old
96 owners: 9 years old
97 owners: 8 years old
98 owners: 7 years old
99 owners: 6 years old
a very sad reality
Old 03-31-2005 | 07:27 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
Yup... I might be picking up an Black 02' next week.

Originally Posted by THT
5.5gens are cheaper now. I wanted to buy one but put down 40K on a house instead.

~THT

So can i get the 00vi from one of you now! lol im serious
Old 03-31-2005 | 10:23 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by sagamax
a very sad reality
I dont think its sad i cant wait to get classic car insurence on mine.
Old 03-31-2005 | 10:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would lose FAR more money buying a new car and selling it 5 years down the road, or getting trade-in than what I lose putting money on a 10-year old car that will probably last me another 10-years, with a 2002 engine and new paintjob without the easy paint chips of newer nissans.

Yeah I could buy a 30,000$ car and sell it for 12,000 in 5-years and pay 3000 of insurance a year (remember, I'm only 18), not to mention all extras. Or put 4000 in a 3000 car and pay less than a grand of insurance a year not to mention it being lighter, faster and getting better gas mileage with the 3.5 than the newer maximas. I think krismax gets like 33 mpg with no egr. Not to mention the sleeper status.

At least I don't have to put up with huge monthly payments, record-setting insurance and recalls every month. Not to mention paint chips, MAF failures and warped rotors and plenty of other fun experiences with dealerships that promptly forget what "warranty" means the moment you ride off into the sunset proud new owner of a car that "smells new" and garanties bragging rights and parts that can't be had jobber for years. I'm looking at you, nissan.
Old 03-31-2005 | 04:39 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally Posted by Jeff92se

Anyways, I'm keeping my '99 for at least another year, hopefully 2. I'm driving at the rate of about 30k miles/yr and I'd hate to get a new car and immediately blow the warranty away with tons of miles. Like Frank said, 4th gens are the perfect beaters. They take tons of miles with minimal maintenance, decent fuel mileage, and usually only have little dumb crap going wrong.
Old 03-31-2005 | 05:28 PM

eh, depends on what your profession is. If you're in business or sales or a lawyer or something like that where you're wining and dining clients then yeah. Otherwise not really.
Old 03-31-2005 | 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by JClaw
I would lose FAR more money buying a new car and selling it 5 years down the road, or getting trade-in than what I lose putting money on a 10-year old car that will probably last me another 10-years, with a 2002 engine and new paintjob without the easy paint chips of newer nissans.

Yeah I could buy a 30,000$ car and sell it for 12,000 in 5-years and pay 3000 of insurance a year (remember, I'm only 18), not to mention all extras. Or put 4000 in a 3000 car and pay less than a grand of insurance a year not to mention it being lighter, faster and getting better gas mileage with the 3.5 than the newer maximas. I think krismax gets like 33 mpg with no egr. Not to mention the sleeper status.

At least I don't have to put up with huge monthly payments, record-setting insurance and recalls every month. Not to mention paint chips, MAF failures and warped rotors and plenty of other fun experiences with dealerships that promptly forget what "warranty" means the moment you ride off into the sunset proud new owner of a car that "smells new" and garanties bragging rights and parts that can't be had jobber for years. I'm looking at you, nissan.
Since you are in Mtl., you don't even need a car. The transit there is excellent, and the cost of petrol and everything else is higher than in the States relatively speaking. I think what someone was trying to point out is marginal cost vs. marginal benefit (body shops cheat on this concept by installing gray market parts and minimal labor which is their own). Driving a junk car as long as it's not a safety issue makes total sense, because cars are a waste of money. But life is full of opportunity, and choices. With that being said I burned 5 gals. in 2 days and avg. 17.4 mpg due to stop-go driving. Paid 2.199 for super but used the Sunoco card to get it down to 2.111--hasn't gone up in a week.
Old 03-31-2005 | 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
Just imagine, if one lets his ego go, and buys one of these 3's in May with a 325 badge and doesn't have to have top of the line, he can get all the above features for probably 2-3 grand more than a Maxima. Or you can get a Maxima with fake duals and gimmicky moonroof for 2-3 grand less.
With the 325i also having a 3.0L I-6, I suspect BMW is just using the Valvetronic system to limit valve opening and that you might just be able to tweak it up to nearly full 330i power with a little Dinan software upgrade. I'm very interested to see if that's the case or not. If so, why spend the big bucks on the 330?
Old 03-31-2005 | 07:21 PM

I just bought our 97 for my wife, and it has 77k on it. ***** is still a baby, and I plan on running it till she gets outta college in 7 years. Then she gets a Myrano
Old 04-03-2005 | 08:19 AM
Banned

It all depends on what you can afford I think. If you are uncomfortable with the depreciation of your car, than maybe you arent ready to get something new. You are either going to have to live with it till it has no trade in value at all, or just bite the bullet. I traded in my 1996 taurus for $800 on this maxima...They were on lots for $3000+...I tied selling it myself to no avail...just gotta cut your losses and move on. Not that this was in any way comparable to older maximas, this car was a dog..still loved it tho, and it took time to get comfortable in the 6th gen.
Old 04-06-2005 | 10:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Why have so many members.....

What's going on? Why are so many members trying to sell their maximas? I've noticed there are a lot (more than usual) peeps listing their cars for sale in the For Sale Forum. Is it time for a newer max or just time to move on to something else?

-Tim
Old 04-06-2005 | 10:25 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by 98maxsel
What's going on? Why are so many members trying to sell their maximas? I've noticed there are a lot (more than usual) peeps listing their cars for sale in the For Sale Forum. Is it time for a newer max or just time to move on to something else?

-Tim
i think its great because in a few years they will not be used as cheap ricer cars and interest for them will die .

Many bought there 4th gens recently and are going thru a phase,that will pass ,they will rice alittle get into the mantience of a 10 year old vehicle get bitter and move on .this will happen and over time the 4th gen forum will clean itsself .by then the 5th gen forum massacur will be in full bloom.

And the true hardcore 4th gen lovers will still be here with me

Ive had my max for 6 years and i never have i thought of given her up shes my classic.
Old 04-06-2005 | 10:37 PM

Alot of people are selling because their cars are getting older. Personally I'd rather have an older car that's paid for, can be modded freely, and doesn't cost me $$$$$ in insurance, not to mention mad depreciation in the first 5 years and getting raped by the stealership.

With the 3.5 swap and the upcoming paintjob, I'm keeping it for a while. Nissan just doesn't make cars with such a good potential displacement to weight ratio anymore. Plus I think 4th gens are the best looking models.
Old 04-06-2005 | 10:43 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by JClaw
Alot of people are selling because their cars are getting older. Personally I'd rather have an older car that's paid for, can be modded freely, and doesn't cost me $$$$$ in insurance, not to mention mad depreciation in the first 5 years and getting raped by the stealership.

With the 3.5 swap and the upcoming paintjob, I'm keeping it for a while. Nissan just doesn't make cars with such a good potential displacement to weight ratio anymore. Plus I think 4th gens are the best looking models.
i strongly agree for some reason

When your cars done maybe you can come down here and will have a 4th gen track shootout,maybe before passports are needed
Old 04-06-2005 | 10:53 PM

I have a passport, I think... not sure.

We'll be like the 3rd gen guys soon... and the 5th gens are slowly becoming like 4th gens.
Old 04-06-2005 | 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
Since you are in Mtl., you don't even need a car. The transit there is excellent, and the cost of petrol and everything else is higher than in the States relatively speaking. I think what someone was trying to point out is marginal cost vs. marginal benefit (body shops cheat on this concept by installing gray market parts and minimal labor which is their own). Driving a junk car as long as it's not a safety issue makes total sense, because cars are a waste of money. But life is full of opportunity, and choices. With that being said I burned 5 gals. in 2 days and avg. 17.4 mpg due to stop-go driving. Paid 2.199 for super but used the Sunoco card to get it down to 2.111--hasn't gone up in a week.
I don't live IN Montreal. I live on the south shores. Lots of highways and less dense in population as you get further away from the island. There is simply no way to adopt by needs to the bus, my travelling is way too off-the wall. And the car isn't just a mode of transportation, it'll be a lot of fun to drive.

I find it funny that you call my ride a "junk car" just because it's 10 years old. My dad has had lots of new cars recently, and the whole "new" feeling lasts only a few months. 1 year down the road and the "new" car is just as boring as my 10-year old car. Except that mine is faster and gets better gas mileage. To each his own. I hate taking the bus, or Subway, but when I'm in Montreal that's what I do because it's more efficient.

As for the gas, I don't give a f*ck, really. People go apesh*t over 5 cent price increases and ***** and moan about paying 2 or 3$ extra a tank, then turn around and buy a 30,000$ car.
Old 04-07-2005 | 10:41 AM

Im getting rid of my 4th gen. Buying an 03' Tomorow. Actually i think im going to try to keep the 4th gen for a winter beater.