General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need Help beating a Speeding Ticket....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 05:51 PM
My 4DSC

Got pulled for 67 in a 50 on a rural road...
He lowered it to 59 in a 50 on the ticket...
But I need to fight this to keep a clean record...

Any info or links to websites would be apprectiated...
So far all i got is this:
http://jesbeard.com/29ab.htm
Its a great site but kinda overwhelming...

Help me out.

Thanks In Advance....

Old 05-10-2001, 06:04 PM
Administrator

you didn't pull the ole.. i was in the academy line?
Old 05-10-2001, 06:52 PM

Go to court and plead no contest. And mabe the judge will send you to driving school.
Old 05-10-2001, 07:00 PM

whats this boycott stillen BS about
Old 05-10-2001, 07:11 PM

Old 05-10-2001, 07:21 PM

Don't plead no contest...

from what I understand you'll definitely get points that way. I'm going to court for a 31/25 on tuesday...I'm still thinking of whether I should do a not-guilty plea or try for a guilty w/ Cause (daughter had a nose-bleed in the back seat at the time), and ask for a probation before judgement...no points that way, just a $60 court fee...as long as I keep my nose clean for 6 months after not a soul will know and my perfect driving record will remain squeaky clean.
Old 05-10-2001, 08:28 PM
Banned

as i understand anything you are ticketed for 14 mph or less does not count on your insurance.... at least this is what state farm has told me.... and i have gotted 2 tickets like this and my rates have stayed the same.
Old 05-10-2001, 08:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by My 4DSC
Got pulled for 67 in a 50 on a rural road...
He lowered it to 59 in a 50 on the ticket...
But I need to fight this to keep a clean record...

Any info or links to websites would be apprectiated...
So far all i got is this:
http://jesbeard.com/29ab.htm
Its a great site but kinda overwhelming...

Help me out.

Thanks In Advance....

If it's real important and you really can't get convicted the best bet is to get a good attorney.

I've gotten out of 5-6 tickets that way.
Old 05-10-2001, 11:45 PM
SLOW

what are the particulars?

what are the particulars of the stop... was the cop moving or stationary? speed trap or not? did he get you on radar or laser? were there any other cars nearby, what time of day, etc.

I've gotten 4 speeding tickets, beaten 2, had 1 reduced, and was told to go to hell on the other...

Neal
Old 05-11-2001, 06:49 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by Stillnmax
Their customer service sucks big time.
Old 05-11-2001, 07:38 AM

oooh oooh i know this one, pick me pick me!~!

Don't Speed?!

:Bonk:
Old 05-11-2001, 03:19 PM
My 4DSC

Re: what are the particulars?

was the cop moving or stationary? stationary
speed trap or not? yes
did he get you on radar or laser? Radar (Ka)
Were there any other cars nearby? No
What time of day? 7:30 am
And the weather was clear.

Doesnt look like I have a chance to get him on the inaccurate radar defense...nor can i say he's incompetent because he's a high ranking officer...
I think I'm just going to try to plea bargain with the prosecutor...shiet...i'll take a HUGE fine for any non-moving violation they wanna give me...I just dont want points.

In reply to a couple others...
(1) No thats not true about the >14mph over yields no points....ANY MOVING VIOLATION GETS YA POINTS...in NJ.
(2) "No Contest" or "Guilty w/ Cause" = Guitly = Points.
The ONLY way to plead is Not Guilty.
(3) I cant afford a lawyer....I'm a broke@$$.
(4) Yes, I told him I was an ex-police recruit but he said all he could do was lower the MPH cuz he's doing "strict speed enforcement" today.

Old 05-11-2001, 06:31 PM

that site you have is a great one...

with the arguements for why radar is not effective. I found the tuning section as a good one, seems that it would be easy to trap the cop into saying that he did not go through the exact procedure for tuning the gun. If you can do this he will be caught, and you will walk from a lack of evidence. Get a paper laid out you can read your points from and make a good arguement. I wouldn't suggest pleading anything besides not guilty becuase there is no point. You won't get off of anything by admitting guilt, and they won't ADD anything for pleading not guilty.

another route, a lawyer on this board said you can have a lawyer contact someone and have it changed to a non moving violation, and just ay the fine with no points. Maybe you can look into this.

Good luck.

PJ
Old 05-11-2001, 06:55 PM

Re: Re: what are the particulars?

Just because he's a high ranking officer doesn't mean a thing..What is a high ranking officer anyway..LOL!! Was it the Captain or Sgt?? Anyway since you seem to kinda want to take the easy route why don't you plead not guilty get a court date that is during his vacation day/off day. Call the station to find out when that is. Actually you can find that out before you plea not guilty. Anyway schedule your court date for his off day and hope he doesn't show up.

Originally posted by My 4DSC
was the cop moving or stationary? stationary
speed trap or not? yes
did he get you on radar or laser? Radar (Ka)
Were there any other cars nearby? No
What time of day? 7:30 am
And the weather was clear.

Doesnt look like I have a chance to get him on the inaccurate radar defense...nor can i say he's incompetent because he's a high ranking officer...
I think I'm just going to try to plea bargain with the prosecutor...shiet...i'll take a HUGE fine for any non-moving violation they wanna give me...I just dont want points.

In reply to a couple others...
(1) No thats not true about the >14mph over yields no points....ANY MOVING VIOLATION GETS YA POINTS...in NJ.
(2) "No Contest" or "Guilty w/ Cause" = Guitly = Points.
The ONLY way to plead is Not Guilty.
(3) I cant afford a lawyer....I'm a broke@$$.
(4) Yes, I told him I was an ex-police recruit but he said all he could do was lower the MPH cuz he's doing "strict speed enforcement" today.
Old 05-12-2001, 06:22 AM
Arn

I've had a ticket in NJ(67 in a 55), and two in NY(71 in a 55, 56 in a 45). No points and no ins raises. My insurance reports no violations.

Old 05-12-2001, 11:05 AM

First things first...

Change the date of the court appearence. You should bee allowed to do that. I am going from Washington States laws, but they should be somewhat close. I requested a radar expert to come also. I was really hoping for either one of them not to show, and then I would get the ticket dropped. No luck though. I then questioned the radar expert about the inner workings of the radar device, their PCM's, how temp will affect it's readings, I had him draw schematics, it was rather humorous. I stuck him with a few questions that he could not answer very well, it was about altitude, mountains, and moving vehicles, basically he couldn't give an answer. So after about 30 mins questioning him, I start questioning the rookie cop. He had been out of the academy 6 months. That was my first question to him. I then asked him to step through the court how EXACTLY he calibrated the unit, when it was calibrated, what was the temp when calibrated. Also then asked him to show me his logs for it. The whole thing lasted about hour and a half before I was through. I manged to get a 79 in a 40 dropped completely, along with no registration and no proof of insurance. I was driving my Mom's car at the time. But it was my final statement that really got it. I summed up all the "evidence" I gather in their questioning and turned it around on them saying the cop did not properly calibrate the unit and along with him moving while clocking me, being in the mountains, multiple cars around. It was cool. The radar guy asked me where in the world did learn all that, I told him I worked at Radio Shack, which I didn't, I had gone to a tech school for telecom stuff. Then the cop was ****ed, but he still shook sp? my hand and gave me congrats. I felt pretty good dropping nearly 1000 dollars in fines that day. You don't need a lawyer, though I did get the advice of one before I went to court, just ask tons of questions and turn their answers around on them.
Old 05-12-2001, 11:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good job, I wish I knew all that about radar when I got a 67 in a 35. I was in the mountains at 9000 ft, how does that affect radar?

Mark
Old 05-12-2001, 03:55 PM

Where did you got these tickets? I always drive around 15 miles over the limite, passed several cops, never had any problem. But if it's more than 15, then I think it's hard to avoid one.

--Richard
Old 05-12-2001, 04:45 PM
My 4DSC

Re: Re: Re: what are the particulars?

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima
Just because he's a high ranking officer doesn't mean a thing..What is a high ranking officer anyway..LOL!! Was it the Captain or Sgt??

Col.<~~~i take it that means Colonel??
He was about 60 years old so you know he's been a cop for A WHILE. Why he's doing speed traps, I dunno.