General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Transmission Talk

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2000, 12:49 PM

I have read a few posts on the board here and have also hear a few mechanics/salespeople mention that the Nissan auto transmission isn't all that reliable/ or good.
what specifically is wrong with it (quality and reliability-wise)?? Has anyone had a problem thus far with their 4th generation Maxima's engine or transmission?

I'd appreciate the info.

=) Brian
Old 10-09-2000, 01:07 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

It overheats easily. When auto tranny overheats, it kiils the tranny fluid. The fluid turns brown and smells burned. For every 20 degress over the normal 180, the fluid life cuts in half. Old and bad fluid leads to tranny failure. I have talked to plenty of tranny shops and they see 4th/3rd gen Maxima all the time. My suggestion is get full tranny flush every 30K and get yourself an aftermarket tranny cooler. There are plenty Maxima tranny that doesn't last more than 100K.
Originally posted by humaras
I have read a few posts on the board here and have also hear a few mechanics/salespeople mention that the Nissan auto transmission isn't all that reliable/ or good.
what specifically is wrong with it (quality and reliability-wise)?? Has anyone had a problem thus far with their 4th generation Maxima's engine or transmission?

I'd appreciate the info.

=) Brian
Old 10-09-2000, 01:21 PM

I have heard

that a lot of maxima's auto tranny are crap by the time they go up to 100K. Of course, I wasn't sure about this--but this was a Nissan sales guy telling me this a few months back when I went with my girlfriend to buy her altima. I didn't know the specifics of it...but I do notice after long drives the transmission fluid by the engine is always bubbling--like it is boiling over. So that is the main problem with it? It gets hot too easily? how much would a tranny cooler costs--any ideas?

thanks =)
Old 10-09-2000, 01:27 PM

I know I've ha my share trany prob.

My 92 Se had problems w/ the syncro at least twice.
And I didn't even race for to long before it happened.
Now on my 96 a really can't complain. I ragged the hell out my Max. It went thru 2 engines before the trany messed up.
This is at alomost 100k miles and a year or so of spraying NOS. And even at that it was the bearing that wore out.
My dad showed me the trany and none of the gears look sheared or worn. Now I'm not a transmision guy nor do we rebuild transmisions at our shop but it still looks strong.
I just ran it at the track and it ran good. But I'm still getting another trany just incase especialy when I start spraying. After all this I still love my Max.
That's my Boy , excuse me. I get a little emotional
when I talk about my boy.
Old 10-09-2000, 02:11 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Re: I have heard

You can get one for $40 at any local parts store.

Originally posted by humaras
that a lot of maxima's auto tranny are crap by the time they go up to 100K. Of course, I wasn't sure about this--but this was a Nissan sales guy telling me this a few months back when I went with my girlfriend to buy her altima. I didn't know the specifics of it...but I do notice after long drives the transmission fluid by the engine is always bubbling--like it is boiling over. So that is the main problem with it? It gets hot too easily? how much would a tranny cooler costs--any ideas?

thanks =)
Old 10-09-2000, 02:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: I know I've ha my share trany prob.

Originally posted by Uncle Max
My 92 Se had problems w/ the syncro at least twice.
And I didn't even race for to long before it happened.
Now on my 96 a really can't complain. I ragged the hell out my Max. It went thru 2 engines before the trany messed up.
This is at alomost 100k miles and a year or so of spraying NOS.
So driving abality/style and clutch aside, how much peak HP can a manual tranney take?
Old 10-09-2000, 02:38 PM

I'd say a 5spd can hold 300 ponies. I never dyno'd my car when I sprayed but I'd like to find out as well.
Old 10-09-2000, 03:18 PM

On my 3rd gen maxima (92 GXE) with over 170k miles (Mostly Highway Miles) it still drives smooth as can be, if not smoother then my 99 Maxima. Your best bet is like everyone else says, to get a trans cooler for about 40 bucks. If you got more $$$ then go for a vb upgrade! Other then that, i personally do a drain and fill every 15k miles and a full trans service every 30k miles. Meaning the drain and fills are done in between the full trans service.