General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Top Ten Maxima Myths

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 05:56 AM

Top Ten Maxima Myths

10. My Maxima steering got tighter than a Ford Focus after I cut the power steering belt (oops)

9. My metallic NON-OEM brake pads bite harder and take 5' off my 80-0 stops, and I don't mind the groaning sound they make now and I don't mind turning my rotors again because it has been 3 weeks since that last time they were cut

8. I calculate mpgs by seeing how many miles I can drive with a tank. It saves me the trouble of having to use division which I think is math.

7. The service engine soon lamp threw a code for EVAP. That's something that can be cleaned as well as the boost sensor, and Pine Sol works best.

6. To stop the flashing AIRBAG lamp, I click my heels at least 5 times fast while listening to 50 Cent, and turn the key to on when he says "underdog's on top"

5. As my K&N gets dirtier, it gets better. Just like wine and old men.

4. I hate Toyotas, Hondas, and BMWs. All they represent are good resale, reliability, and handling.

3. 18's make my car really slow, and even though the overall diameter is identical to the 16's the wheel gap increased since I got them.

2. My Bose stereo isn't an overpriced rip-off that sounds like ****. Bose is so good that I'm going to the mall to pick up some more 901 Series VI for my bedroom.

1. Just joking, Happy Memorial Day!!
Old 05-29-2005, 06:56 AM
Banned

I dont know how Bose does it (stay in business) with their prices. For $2000-$5000 I can get an audiophile system that will blast you out of the room...dont get it.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:04 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

1. CAIs increase HP
Old 05-29-2005, 07:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

stock maximas handle well
The stock maxima brakes are awesome!
Old 05-29-2005, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
I dont know how Bose does it (stay in business) with their prices. For $2000-$5000 I can get an audiophile system that will blast you out of the room...dont get it.
I think it is because Bose technologies are quite different than conventional audio systems and the unique presence it offers at a full range (direct reflecting technology) is quite amazing for those who appreciate that type of sound reproduction. It is definately not a head banger or boom bassers cup of tea. The whole concept behind Dr. Bose's research and products are based on reproducing music and sound through a realistic ambiant range where the listener can not tell where it is coming from. Basically he was trying to reproduce as closely as possible sound as it is heard during live performances. So if someone appreciates realistic sound where they can hear a chime, horn, strings, Vocals, etc as if it were being played live, then those individuals really enjoy the Bose technologies. Classical, easy listening, etc are the best types of music for Bose. Heavy metal, rap, etc.. would be the least appreciated through a Bose system because of their inherint noise factors and no real range within the compositions. Basically these types of music would sound flat and uninspiring through a Bose system compared to other more conventional sound reproduction technologies.

Anyway as is with any other subject that involves preferences judged by tastes and opinions, Bose is really no different than types of foods, art or literature as far as popularity goes.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

errrr.... what he said...

Originally Posted by Atomic_Ed
I think it is because Bose technologies are quite different than conventional audio systems and the unique presence it offers at a full range (direct reflecting technology) is quite amazing for those who appreciate that type of sound reproduction. It is definately not a head banger or boom bassers cup of tea. The whole concept behind Dr. Bose's research and products are based on reproducing music and sound through a realistic ambiant range where the listener can not tell where it is coming from. Basically he was trying to reproduce as closely as possible sound as it is heard during live performances. So if someone appreciates realistic sound where they can hear a chime, horn, strings, Vocals, etc as if it were being played live, then those individuals really enjoy the Bose technologies. Classical, easy listening, etc are the best types of music for Bose. Heavy metal, rap, etc.. would be the least appreciated through a Bose system because of their inherint noise factors and no real range within the compositions. Basically these types of music would sound flat and uninspiring through a Bose system compared to other more conventional sound reproduction technologies.

Anyway as is with any other subject that involves preferences judged by tastes and opinions, Bose is really no different than types of foods, art or literature as far as popularity goes.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:42 AM

I have Bose 601s that are about 15-years-old and still marvel at their sound.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:14 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
I have Bose 601s that are about 15-years-old and still marvel at their sound.
Awesome speakers, dude. :jealous:
Old 05-29-2005, 09:28 AM
be the change u want2C

you forgot one, Maximas are fast
Old 05-29-2005, 09:35 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Ninos_Maxima
you forgot one, Maximas are fast
...so you're saying they're slow?
Old 05-29-2005, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
They're actually not very fast, you're being facetious, right? Until the 2004, the only Maxima that ever broke 7 sec 0-60 was the 1995, and that was in mid 1994--the results were not repeated, but as luck would have it the data stayed in the 4th gen brochures through 1999! I know in my 98 brochure it said 0-60 in 6.6 with a big asterisk. Should have been a question mark!
Old 05-29-2005, 12:05 PM
brotherhood of tq

maximas are far from fast.

ohh and maximas are the best bang for the buck
Old 05-29-2005, 12:38 PM
dot dot dot ...

Hey .. Metal Maxima .. your engine code under your name is missing a -K..

Venom400 is the sh*t when coupled with a JET Chip .. but I prefer Doritos.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

they have the best cup holders
Old 05-29-2005, 01:47 PM

....... .......
Old 05-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Project Ruby......

Maximas can really peel paint at high speeds.............oh wait

Old 05-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
They're actually not very fast, you're being facetious, right? Until the 2004, the only Maxima that ever broke 7 sec 0-60 was the 1995, and that was in mid 1994--the results were not repeated, but as luck would have it the data stayed in the 4th gen brochures through 1999! I know in my 98 brochure it said 0-60 in 6.6 with a big asterisk. Should have been a question mark!

My 1995 AUTO maxima ran 0-60 in 6.7 according to G-tech. Magazine times are worthless.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Hooooooonda.....

3. 18's make my car really slow, and even though the overall diameter is identical to the 16's the wheel gap increased since I got them.
How is that a myth?
Old 05-29-2005, 05:06 PM

1. If you don't run premium gas you will ruin your engine.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
How is that a myth?
If the overall diameter of the 215/55-16 is basically the same as a 235/40-18, the wheel gap is exactly the same.

I can't see how the car mags track data is worthless, they don't use a g-tech, they use real test equipment. Again, reliablity and validity are key when running numbers. G-Tech offers neither. I don't remember g-tech specifying attaching a 5th wheel to the side of the car when running stats.....
Old 05-29-2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
1. If you don't run premium gas you will ruin your engine.
I thought that if you don't run premium, you mess up the timing and cause the knock sensor to fail?
Old 05-29-2005, 06:02 PM

That is a fallacy!

Originally Posted by 4x4Max
I thought that if you don't run premium, you mess up the timing and cause the knock sensor to fail?
Old 05-29-2005, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Hey .. Metal Maxima .. your engine code under your name is missing a -K..
his VIAS is broken
Old 05-29-2005, 06:41 PM

1. Shaving the trunk will make the emblems grow back faster.

2. Putting less air into the tires is a great way for weight reduction.

3. Cold air intakes give 20 more mpg.

4. Short shifters works great for those who are under 5 foot.

5. Altezza's only run on 2 AA batterys because of all the LED's inside.

6. Indexing spark plugs on a maxima will drop 3 seconds on your 1/4 time.

7. The more people in the car the better the traction for drag racing.

8. Removing the electrical blinker's and replacing them with blinker fluid so that your Alternator doesn't drain a lot of power when the bass is bumping.

9. The more exhaust bearings the better.

10. Sell your maxima's and get a real car. V8 power.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:06 PM

Until the 2004, the only Maxima that ever broke 7 sec 0-60 was the 1995, and that was in mid 1994--the results were not repeated, but as luck would have it the data stayed in the 4th gen brochures through 1999! I know in my 98 brochure it said 0-60 in 6.6 with a big asterisk. Should have been a question mark!

wrong, Car and Driver reported 6.7 for the 92SE back in August 91 (or so)

Old 05-29-2005, 07:53 PM
Always sunny in philly

10.) Getter larger rims will eliminate my gap; larger chrome rims eliminates gap and gets me laid.

9.) What the hell is wrong with altezzas? It makes my Max look like a Lexus IS300.

8.) Why spend 500 bucks on a Greddy SP2 when I can just poke holes in my muffler?

7.) Clear bumper lenses are so nice I created a ******* thread to show them off.

6.) The more neons I have in my car, the more I look cool.

5.) GTR emblems will definitely make my high end quicker over time.

4.) My trunk is not rattling...

3.) Doing a burnout before leaving a meet will leave a good impression

2.) Red/Clears for the 95-96 Maxima will be avaliable very soon!

1.) Jerking off makes you blind
Old 05-29-2005, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nismotic
10.) Getter larger rims will eliminate my gap; larger chrome rims eliminates gap and gets me laid.

9.) What the hell is wrong with altezzas? It makes my Max look like a Lexus IS300.

8.) Why spend 500 bucks on a Greddy SP2 when I can just poke holes in my muffler?

7.) Clear bumper lenses are so nice I created a ******* thread to show them off.

6.) The more neons I have in my car, the more I look cool.

5.) GTR emblems will definitely make my high end quicker over time.

4.) My trunk is not rattling...

3.) Doing a burnout before leaving a meet will leave a good impression

2.) Red/Clears for the 95-96 Maxima will be avaliable very soon!

1.) Jerking off makes you blind

10char
Old 05-29-2005, 08:36 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I can't see how the car mags track data is worthless, they don't use a g-tech, they use real test equipment. Again, reliablity and validity are key when running numbers. G-Tech offers neither. I don't remember g-tech specifying attaching a 5th wheel to the side of the car when running stats.....
Ahh Grasshopper, you're forgeting a thing called rotational inertia. The larger the diameter of the rim, the more the weight of the rim is pushed from the hub. The further the weight is from the hub, the more power it takes to turn said rim even if the overall weight is the same. Also, low profile tires are heavier. The shorter the profile gets because of the extra reinforced sidewalls. Taken directly from the Tirerack, the average weight of a 215/55R16 is 22bs. The average weight of a 225/40R18 is 24lbs. The extra weight of the tire increases both rotational inertia and unsprung weight. This isn't taking into consideration the additional drag of the wider tires either. Even if the 18" rim weighs the same as the 16" rim, it's going to have quite a bit more rotational inertia. For every 1" increase in diameter, you increase rotational inertia by about 7%. Then add in the increase of 2-3lbs for the lower profile tires. Say your 16" combo weighs 42lbs (20lb rim, 22lb tire). Say the 18" combo weighs 44lbs (20lb rim, 24lb tire). To your motor, that 44lb 18" combo is going to feel like 50lbs. Significant? To some, yes and to some, no. But there will be a difference in acceleration and that will favor the 16" combo.

I've even tested this with my Maxima. Same day, same track, same overall tire combo weight, 15" sawblades vs lightweight 17". Total weight = 43lbs. With the same low 2.2 60 foots and the same baking engine, the car was consistently .15 seconds and over 1mph slower with the +2 17s.

It is not a myth, your car is slower with 18s vs 16s even if the weights are the same. If the 16s have summer rated rubber, the car will stop faster too.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Dave B
Ahh Grasshopper, you're forgeting a thing called rotational inertia. The larger the diameter of the rim, the more the weight of the rim is pushed from the hub. The further the weight is from the hub, the more power it takes to turn said rim even if the overall weight is the same. Also, low profile tires are heavier. The shorter the profile gets because of the extra reinforced sidewalls. Taken directly from the Tirerack, the average weight of a 215/55R16 is 22bs. The average weight of a 225/40R18 is 24lbs. The extra weight of the tire increases both rotational inertia and unsprung weight. This isn't taking into consideration the additional drag of the wider tires either. Even if the 18" rim weighs the same as the 16" rim, it's going to have quite a bit more rotational inertia. For every 1" increase in diameter, you increase rotational inertia by about 7%. Then add in the increase of 2-3lbs for the lower profile tires. Say your 16" combo weighs 42lbs (20lb rim, 22lb tire). Say the 18" combo weighs 44lbs (20lb rim, 24lb tire). To your motor, that 44lb 18" combo is going to feel like 50lbs. Significant? To some, yes and to some, no. But there will be a difference in acceleration and that will favor the 16" combo.

I've even tested this with my Maxima. Same day, same track, same overall tire combo weight, 15" sawblades vs lightweight 17". Total weight = 43lbs. With the same low 2.2 60 foots and the same baking engine, the car was consistently .15 seconds and over 1mph slower with the +2 17s.

It is not a myth, your car is slower with 18s vs 16s even if the weights are the same. If the 16s have summer rated rubber, the car will stop faster too.
this is fact SCC one issue tested 3 cars with three diff size rims all same diameter and weight . Biggest rim always did worse.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by krismax
this is fact SCC one issue tested 3 cars with three diff size rims all same diameter and weight . Biggest rim always did worse.
Car and Driver tested a 528i that came with 65's in a 15" flavor years ago, using 15-16-17-18. 17's performed the best.

You speak with such certainty--does that mean that today, when a car comes with 18's standard, that it's 19" "sport package" performs worse? And that when the same car came with 16's standard, that 16" equipped car performed better? Think hard. I do agree with you that physics is more powerful than marketing, but, there is also something called "applied" physics.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:22 AM
BP
Donating Maxima.org Member

Car and Driver tested a 528i that came with 65's in a 15" flavor years ago, using 15-16-17-18. 17's performed the best.
i remember that article. iirc the test was meant to measure handling performance, not acceleration. fact is even if you keep the same diameter, larger rims/tires are often heavier. can't beat the laws of physics.

...also, the 02+ maxs break 7 sec 0-60 easily. maximas may not be fast (top speed) but they're extremely quick (point and shoot acceleration).

Old 05-30-2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by BP
i remember that article. iirc the test was meant to measure handling performance, not acceleration. fact is even if you keep the same diameter, larger rims/tires are often heavier. can't beat the laws of physics.

...also, the 02+ maxs break 7 sec 0-60 easily. maximas may not be fast (top speed) but they're extremely quick (point and shoot acceleration).

Not disputing anything you say, so I guess we're in agreement that with the above article, the conclusion was that the 17's provided the best overall performance. So my guess is that with a Maxima, at least one that had 15's from the factory, the +2 will probably yield the best overall performance. i.e. 235/45-17.

With many of the German cars coming standard with 18's, I'm willing to bet that 19's which are optional do not hinder performance. But we could get into semantics, it may be that the chassis were optimized with 19's in mind, designed to have 18's standard, etc. etc. etc. Look at the radical sport packages where they go from same size front/rear, to all of a sudden +1 and 275's in the rear and 245's in the front. My firm belief is that the sport package increased the performance of the car (probably accentuated the oversteer). If we look at the evolution of tire/rim sizes, even the vette is now 19/18. They once used 14's, 15's, 16's, 17's, the C5 even had 17's in the front.

Shoot, now I have to get in the car and get the tank filled for the grill--some holiday! Next house I'm doing the natural gas hook-up. Hope my 18's don't add 5 minutes to my trip......
Old 05-30-2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx

One word: Marketing. Bose has convinced every hill billy dumbass that they are the cat's pajamas. I see it all the time. Anyone with half a brain knows that, at best, Bose is mediocre. But don't tell that to the Best Buy crowd.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:27 PM
be the change u want2C

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Yeah its a myth thread, one myth is that they are fast
Old 05-30-2005, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
One word: Marketing. Bose has convinced every hill billy dumbass that they are the cat's pajamas. I see it all the time. Anyone with half a brain knows that, at best, Bose is mediocre. But don't tell that to the Best Buy crowd.
Well, this is just what I remember from school: Dr. Bose was a PENN grad who wanted something better than what was available. The ol' grassroots beginning story. But today, obviously it's mass market, the whole 9 with locations at the factory outlet malls and many OEM. But Bose is definitely something one would never find in an audiophile's system.

They've been afflicted with what I call the Sony syndrome. They rest on their laurels while the competition passes by in the hammer lane. Think about it: Bose does not even publish frequency response data. That would be like telling a car buyer either you like our car or you don't. We're not gonna tell you how much HP is under the hood. That's what Rolls Royce says....and Bose!
Old 05-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

With many of the German cars coming standard with 18's, I'm willing to bet that 19's which are optional do not hinder performance. But we could get into semantics, it may be that the chassis were optimized with 19's in mind, designed to have 18's standard, etc. etc. etc. Look at the radical sport packages where they go from same size front/rear, to all of a sudden +1 and 275's in the rear and 245's in the front. My firm belief is that the sport package increased the performance of the car (probably accentuated the oversteer). If we look at the evolution of tire/rim sizes, even the vette is now 19/18. They once used 14's, 15's, 16's, 17's, the C5 even had 17's in the front.
The use of overly large 18"+ rims on passenger cars is more marketing than anything. People like the looks of bigger rims regardless of the impact it has on the vehicles performance. Larger rims and lower profile tires don't mean better handling either. Take a look at what people are running on auto-X and road courses and you'll see that 15"-17" is by far the most common with 15s being common on the Mini/Miata/Civic and 17s being reserved for cars like the Corvette. I'm certain a E46 M3 would be a better handling car with 17s and high performance rubber, but people don't want small rims on their bling BMW. Before the G35s public introduction, Infiniti outfitted the G35 sedan with 16, 17, 18, and 19 wheels to determine the best handling, riding, and driving combo. The 17" set up performed the best in all tests and larger rims introduced too much ride stiffness. 16s became standard on the base model and 17s were standard/option. In 05, after strong demand, Infiniti has now introduced option 18s on the sedan autos and standard on the 6MT. Dodge openly admits that the Viper cars are better handling and accelerating cars with 16" rims, but the public would never go for it and the car doesn't look right therefore it gets much larger rims. Dodge and GM both offer 20" wheel packages for thier trucks, but when that option is selected, beefed up A-arms, shocks, and bushings are replaced with beefier parts to account for the increased mass.

Give the people what they want.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:31 PM
STFU n00b!

one more to add to your little list...

.... Maxima.org members with over 1500 posts know what they're talking about.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:49 PM
retired moderator

As to the rim size discussion - just because BMW or whoever is putting larger rims on the sport package means nothing. For the sake of handling, a lower profile tire is preferable in most cases - i.e. "sport driving". (no, this is not necessarily true for road racing and auto-x) BMW, Infiniti, etc are not putting "sport packages" on their cars and acting like it makes the car faster - just gives it more handling and "road feel" (in theory)

Many of the people here seem to forget that "sport driving" (in the real world) generally refers to hitting the twisty country roads or whatever - not dragging against a ricer civic from a stoplight (and also not auto-x or road racing, for that matter)

"Factory Sport Package" = either:
- "sporty appearance package" (bigger rims, air dam, wing, etc etc etc) or
- "better handling/not as cushy ride/etc" (lighter rims, stiffer springs, etc)
Old 05-30-2005, 08:03 PM
STFU n00b!

It's not even worth arguing about man.. it's just like beating your head on the hood trying to make nissan do something about their horrible paint.. they have their own opinions and don't see your point, and don't really care even if they did.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:08 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
It's not even worth arguing about man.. it's just like beating your head on the hood trying to make nissan do something about their horrible paint.. they have their own opinions and don't see your point, and don't really care even if they did.
what I meant to say was that chrome 20's make your car go faster, handle better, get better fuel mileage, and you can go longer between oil changes

what horrible paint? I don't know anything about that..

Quick Reply: Top Ten Maxima Myths