General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Stock '95 GXE Auto Vs. Stock '93 SHO Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2001, 08:54 AM

...and I do mean STOCK. Right down to the steelies with hubcaps. I got 68K on mine, this kid just picked the SHO up from the used lot last night with 74K on the clock.

Now he's callin' me out. Can I take him? Do I have a weight advantage? What would my shift points be to keep me in the powerband? Should I bother? Or should I start thinking of excuses not to race him? I strongly believe that I'm the better driver, if it comes down to that...

Thank you kindly in advance for the advice. I'm sweatin' bullets here..
Old 05-17-2001, 09:02 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

the sho is a fast car , make no mistake about it. the biggest thing sense you both are stock is the drivers.. it always comes down to the drivers. second , sounds silly but, is your engine in good working order?? plugs been changed recently? because if your engine is in good shape and his is crap well that will help you... but if not could go against you. just remember if you win every race it wont be any fun. gotta lose to show you where you need to improve your driving and car. hope this helps... kick his A$*. oh yeah just take the o/d off and put it to the floor and about 80 push the o/d button.

win win win win
Old 05-17-2001, 09:22 AM

See, that's the thing...I just got the Max about 4 months ago...I feel it runs like a Maxima SHOULD, but maybe I should spin a fresh set of plugs in, along with a fuel filter...and maybe spring for a K&N panel while I'm at it...

Thing is, I don't have a lot of time here...this guy's really chewin' on my ankles...and he's not stupid, either. if I try to stall to do a little tune 'n tweak, I'll come off as a big fat chicken...and I simply ain't havin' that!
Old 05-17-2001, 09:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MilwaukeeMisfit
See, that's the thing...I just got the Max about 4 months ago...I feel it runs like a Maxima SHOULD, but maybe I should spin a fresh set of plugs in, along with a fuel filter...and maybe spring for a K&N panel while I'm at it...

Thing is, I don't have a lot of time here...this guy's really chewin' on my ankles...and he's not stupid, either. if I try to stall to do a little tune 'n tweak, I'll come off as a big fat chicken...and I simply ain't havin' that!
Give it a go, you don't have to wait.
Old 05-17-2001, 09:46 AM

So...you're saying I can take him? Stoplight to stoplight? Or do I make him run it out on the freeway? Sorry about all the annoying questions...I just prefer to be well informed before I open my mouth...I hate the taste of shoe leather.
Old 05-17-2001, 10:34 AM

Take it to the track. Race him in the 1320.
Old 05-17-2001, 11:23 AM
SLOW

SHO

I have raced only 1 SHO ever, it was a 93 or so, 5 speed. we were dead even from a 5mph roll... we werent sure if the other wanted to race. dead even through 1st and 2nd, i was worried the max had bitten off more than it could chew... when i hit 3rd though i started pulling SLOWLY, i only pulled about 1/2 a length between my rear bumper and his front bumper... so it was a very close race. im assuming he was stock or near stock, and i was (and still am) stock as far as engine mods go. i was on my 17" wheels however.

Neal
Old 05-17-2001, 12:00 PM

Yeesh...scary. I'd better strip out the trunk...I gotta at least have the weight advantage...that SHO is loaded...leather, body kit, etc.

Where should my shift points be? 6200? 6300?

Thanks for all the help so far!
Old 05-17-2001, 03:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

First, if you have the money I'd get an intake (atleast) if possible before you race. IMO the K&N panel filter wasn't worth $5 of the $50 bucks, I paid for it! Don't believe me? I will sell it for $4.99 with the BIG million mile warranty they have. I had it on for two weeks and it still looks new so if you want it be my guest. I'll just have to knock off the cobwebs. Either way, I would try and get a great launch. When cars are this close performance-wise your take off can be the difference between winning and losing. Honestly though, I think he might win. Just because I raced one for the second time the other day. I walked him in all gears right up to fourth when I let off. The first time I raced one he was walking me in each gear. That was when I had only my muffler. The second time was when I had the mods listed. I'm pretty sure both SHO's were stock but, I don't know if they were stick or automatic. My engine was just too loud to hear theirs.
Old 05-17-2001, 08:00 PM

OK funny but...

I am dealing with almost the same situation but my kid has a '94 that wants to race. SHO automatic. He brought in a magazine (road and track) from 93 comparing the SHO, max, and BMW. Of course it was a 3rd gen max, so it ran a 8sec 0-60, what a JOKE!, but the '93 SHO automatic w/ leather and all, ran a 7.5 and 16.0 - soooo, asumming your car runs a 7.5ish, then like everyone else said.. its gonna come down to the launch. Shift around 6200-6300, wont matter...

Once again, from road & track 1993 issue

'93 SHO Auto 7.5sex / 16sec

Goodluck! the 94 here wants to race this weekend... I have intake and 1 week old tranny w/ modifications to the valve body for faster shifting.... so we'll see. The kid talks soooo much crap. I hope you whoop yours, but it's gonna be close.
Old 05-17-2001, 08:07 PM

Re: OK funny but...

Originally posted by hlh0501
Of course it was a 3rd gen max, so it ran a 8sec 0-60, what a JOKE!
Heh, joke? Wait til you get destroyed by a VE 5 spd Max. Then we'll see how funny it is ; )
Old 05-18-2001, 04:18 AM

Re: Re: OK funny but...

No no don't take me the wrong way - I loveee 3rd gen max's, and know that they are capable of way better then 8sec 0-60, thats why I put What a joke..... and yes, I know a 5spd is much faster too -

Originally posted by Maximamike

Heh, joke? Wait til you get destroyed by a VE 5 spd Max. Then we'll see how funny it is ; )
Old 05-18-2001, 04:31 AM

Money's on the SHO

I had a 94 5spd SHO, it is definately fast than my 01 SE. Though I like how the Max drives. The SHO hauls butt. Mine was pretty much stock, but I would have fun racing the same Civics and Mustangs I do now. Now it's a bit harder. It will be a close call. Give it a shot, see what happens.
Old 05-18-2001, 08:21 AM

Hey, MAXINXS...how do you like your Weapon R intake? Is it the "Dragon" model? I'm not usually one for flash, but man, that thing looks suh-weet! What was your butt dyno impression after the install? Do you think it's worth almost 2 bills? To anybody else who has it, what are your thoughts?
Old 05-18-2001, 12:59 PM
Banned

id sneak one past the guy... gut your trunk.... spare, jack, carpet ..everything. That helps out alot, oh and make sure you AC is off.. you lose a lot of power with that on.
Old 05-18-2001, 01:07 PM

...maybe I'll do that OSCAI thing tonight...stop at Home Depot on the way home from work. How long did it take you to do that? Is it worth the effort? Every little bit will help, right? This guy is so cocky, he's saying whenever I'm ready to go..that gives me the weekend.
Old 05-18-2001, 01:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Milwaukee Misfit

Hey, I love my intake. No it's not the dragon intake even though those do look bad. I bought mine before they came out with the dragon. I have never had my car on a dyno, so I don't know about performance gains but I will say this...
I absolutely love how much more powerful my engine sounds now (have scared many old people driving around town). I remember that first drive after installation, I was smiling the whole way home. Under wot at about 6000 rpm on up to 6500 is when it really growls. Sounds something like ra da da da da da. So, like I said I love it and my Max wouldn't be the same without it. I enjoy the noise much more than the small hp gain.
Old 05-18-2001, 06:01 PM

SHO wins.

I had a 1994 SHO automatic and I now have a '97 Max SE Auto. The SHO was noticeably faster in every regard.
Old 05-18-2001, 07:09 PM

test drove one. if i remember correctly, the auto was slightly softer than the max off the line probably more weight), but once past the initial launch, the SHO had lots of pull and definitely more top end.

comes down to driver, reaction time, launch, etc... the SHO has more hp, 220hp. the 4th gen max 190hp. torque is similar between the two engines. but the SHO is heavier by several hundred lbs...

also comes down to where you go... if it's at the track... it'll be very close. if it's light to light, you'll probably be able to nudge in front of him. if it's on the freeway, he might have you.

-V
Old 05-18-2001, 10:54 PM

My best friend has an SHO 5-speed...here's the deal with SHOs.....light to light...they are dogs....no low end torque to speak of, but get them on the highway...and all you'll see are those gay looking SHO letters on their bumper. Stock to stock, I would beat my buddy around town and he would kill me up top, but now that we've both done a little modding...I eat him all over the place, even on the highway.
Old 05-19-2001, 01:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would go with the SHO

I had a 1990 SHO 5-speed, the SHO is very strong at speed. Auto SHO vs auto Max??? The SHO will pull you hard after about 40mph.

Mark
Old 05-19-2001, 10:23 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

ya

One of my friends has a 95 SHO auto and it's one of the only car's I'm scared of around town. Sure there are some GT but no one can drive them around here. I'd put my money on the SHO but only because the Max is an auto.