General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Lousy Frozen Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2001, 04:14 PM

I'm in the middle of installing my b-pipe and the two bolts at the catalytic end seem completely frozen. I tried WD-40 last night and Liquid Wrench today. I'm not sure if I'm using it right though or else I'd figure the bolts would come right off. I saturate the bolt and tap it with a mallet. I thought I was getting results because I can see some rust residue drip down. Anyway, I've been doing that off and on for about 15 minutes. I top of that, when I try to remove the bolt, the bolt itself starts to bend intsead of turning. I didn't want to continue since I figure exposure to kerosene can't be too good. If this doesn't work, I'm going in with a heat gun and water. Any other tips from you guys would be appreciated. I'm at wits end.
Old 05-17-2001, 04:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
I'm in the middle of installing my b-pipe and the two bolts at the catalytic end seem completely frozen. I tried WD-40 last night and Liquid Wrench today. I'm not sure if I'm using it right though or else I'd figure the bolts would come right off. I saturate the bolt and tap it with a mallet. I thought I was getting results because I can see some rust residue drip down. Anyway, I've been doing that off and on for about 15 minutes. I didn't want to continue since I figure exposure to kerosene can't be too good. If this doesn't work, I'm going in with a heat gun and water. Any other tips from you guys would be appreciated. I'm at wits end.
Dude, good luck. I ended up having to cut mine off, and my car had only about 15k miles on it.
Old 05-17-2001, 04:39 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

if applying heat doesn't work (which it should) sawing it off and getting a new bolt will be your best bet
Old 05-17-2001, 06:03 PM

Thanks guys

I think I'm going to let the liquid wrench settle in until tonight before I try again. I hope I won't have any fire hazards with the heat gun and liquid wrench residue. Sawing it off will be the last resort. What do you guys think about the heat gun? Should I wait till tomorrow...Should I spray the region down with water first? I don't want to blow my car up or anything.
Old 05-17-2001, 06:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Thanks guys

I think I'm going to let the liquid wrench settle in until tonight before I try again. I hope I won't have any fire hazards with the heat gun and liquid wrench residue. Sawing it off will be the last resort. What do you guys think about the heat gun? Should I wait till tomorrow...Should I spray the region down with water first? I don't want to blow my car up or anything.
Just to let you know, liquid wrench is NOT flamable but WD40 is. I recomend just cleaning the area off with a damp paper towel and then use a blow tourch. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2001, 06:17 PM

Re: Re: Thanks guys

Originally posted by emax95
Just to let you know, liquid wrench is NOT flamable but WD40 is. I recomend just cleaning the area off with a damp paper towel and then use a blow tourch. Good luck.
"Oh **** guys, my ****in car is on fire! AHHHH!!!" Hahahahahaha..
Old 05-18-2001, 02:46 PM

I decided to pay for the installation

$80 at a local shop for the b-pipe and y-pipe. I went at it again this morning with the hammer, heat gun, and wrench. The bolt started bending so I decided to stop. I was going to saw it off, but then I realized I'd cross the same problem when I do the y-pipe. The y-pipe bolts are too difficult to saw so I'm just gonna shell out the $80. This place did my friend's I30 (y-pipe, cat, and cat-back) in less than an hour.
Old 05-19-2001, 03:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I decided to pay for the installation

Wow, I would have to say. You handled that install like a real pro.. hahaha. =P Don't worry, I paid someone to do my y-pipe. =) But I think you got ripped off though. 80 is a lot.

ZuM

$80 at a local shop for the b-pipe and y-pipe. I went at it again this morning with the hammer, heat gun, and wrench. The bolt started bending so I decided to stop. I was going to saw it off, but then I realized I'd cross the same problem when I do the y-pipe. The y-pipe bolts are too difficult to saw so I'm just gonna shell out the $80. This place did my friend's I30 (y-pipe, cat, and cat-back) in less than an hour.
Old 05-19-2001, 06:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: I decided to pay for the installation

You definitely needed a torch to heat the bolt, not a heat gun. You actually have to heat the bolt with the torch on a low flame. I had a rusty Toyota pickup and that is how I had to get most of my bolts off.