General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Will JWT sell the Turbo Kit for the max

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2001, 07:52 PM

If so when, if not, why?

http://www.gr8ride.com/articles/019830ah/019830ahb.pdf
(Second page)

I think I want one if its less then the still supercharger.
Old 05-19-2001, 07:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Turbo

I would also like to know if it is for sale. I wonder if it puts less stress on the engine compared to a supercharger since it seems to give less boost!? I love these go-fast parts.
Old 05-19-2001, 08:06 PM
My 4DSC

Re: Turbo

1) No it will never be for sale.
2) Cost to reproduce= OVER $10,000.
3) No it doesnt put less stress on the engine.

Old 05-19-2001, 09:47 PM

I am turboing my car.....expected costs? <$800.00 Yes the decimals in the right spot. I got a T-3 and Z31 manifolds that I will end up not using for $275 and the extra $500 is for the one custom exhaust Y-pipe. It isn't expected to be pretty or anything under the hood; or even stratospheric power levels, but I plan on running 5 psi. and I hope to get 240 crank HP. Initially there won't be anything fancy, just a manual boost controller and a popoff valve, its just a start.
Old 05-19-2001, 10:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Czar
I am turboing my car.....expected costs? <$800.00 Yes the decimals in the right spot. I got a T-3 and Z31 manifolds that I will end up not using for $275 and the extra $500 is for the one custom exhaust Y-pipe. It isn't expected to be pretty or anything under the hood; or even stratospheric power levels, but I plan on running 5 psi. and I hope to get 240 crank HP. Initially there won't be anything fancy, just a manual boost controller and a popoff valve, its just a start.
can't wait to see you're 1/4 after the turbo.... that will be quite a sleeper
Old 05-20-2001, 01:10 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

well, you're a 3rd gen. much lower compression than the 4th, and also there is a turbo conversion kit over in japan. hence the price difference.

ther 4th / 5th gen turbo is too hard to manufacture, if u think about all the piping and the wastegate welding. aiya. too much. for only 6 psi boost.

imho. JWT will NEVER release a full production run turbo kit. too much clauses that are in the fine print. Jim Wolf is a smart man, he knows the turbo is a iffy subject for the maxima, and if he approaches it like he does ECU upgrades, it will take another 15 years for the turbo kit to see the light of day.

if you see his ecu fuel program, you'll know he's ultra conservative...
Old 05-20-2001, 01:13 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

reply to My 4DSC

1) yea i agree, will prolly never be for sale
2) not necessarilary cost over 10k to reproduce. mine cost under 5k and thats with expensive Apexi electronics a $500 HKS unit.
3) I belive stress on the engine is all revelant to the driver abuse and how the setup is tuned

i bet the 3rd gen Maxima would be much easier and cheaper to do up like Czar
Old 05-20-2001, 02:00 AM

Why would the 4th gen be harder than mine? I have 10:1 compression; is the VQ higher than that? I look at the stillen S/C and since they typically end up with 270 hp at the crank w/o major upgrades to the other stuff (fuel injectors, ecu, etc.) I figure that I could get 240 hp from mine just by getting a different fuel pump and a FPR fairly easy. I still don't know why the 4th gen is harder. Turbo95 is using a better turbo than mine, but beyond that, I have to fabricate the same stuff he had to.
Old 05-20-2001, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Chebosto
well, you're a 3rd gen. much lower compression than the 4th, and also there is a turbo conversion kit over in japan. hence the price difference.
The VE's compression ratio is the same as the VQ's compression ratio. 10:1. BTW, the turbo kit in Japan isn't for the VG powered or VE powered 3rd gen. Its also over $10k with taxes and import taxes.

ther 4th / 5th gen turbo is too hard to manufacture, if u think about all the piping and the wastegate welding. aiya. too much. for only 6 psi boost.
Not really. You guys could use the reverse y pipe setup just like Czar and I are doing. I believe Turbo95Max went this route to get it going initially. Too much for only 6 psi? Thats around how much the Stillen s/cer puts out.

imho. JWT will NEVER release a full production run turbo kit. too much clauses that are in the fine print. Jim Wolf is a smart man, he knows the turbo is a iffy subject for the maxima, and if he approaches it like he does ECU upgrades, it will take another 15 years for the turbo kit to see the light of day.
Heh, Jim Wolf? Screw Jim Wolf.. LOL

if you see his ecu fuel program, you'll know he's ultra conservative...
Ultra conservative? If you look up conservative in the dictionary, Jim Wolf's picture is there. His 720/740 cc injector program is supposed to be race tuned, yet it runs ultra rich and people gain lots of power tuning the fuel right..

PS: Still working on what you wanted
Old 05-21-2001, 01:52 AM

Would be nice though. Anyhow, speed shops around here, left and right claim its not that hard to Turbo my car, and they would do it for me. Their is a dealer here that will even Finance it if needed. An I30TT would be a great idea, just buy another "t" emblem
Old 05-21-2001, 02:56 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

i bet $20 that there will be a production turbo kit out for a freaking Toyota Echo before there is a turbo kit out for the max by JWT.

i got your turbo right here....
somebody get me a leaf blower and i'll charge $400 for install. Who's WITH me!?!
Old 05-21-2001, 03:29 PM
Ford Only.

czar,I cant wait for you to finish that turbo job.Make sure you log every step of the way.So you can make it easier on future VE's to turbo there car as well.
Old 05-21-2001, 05:14 PM

I went and talked to the header shop today about doing the reverse Y and down pipe, and with some work on my part, it should be remarkably affordable!!! Maybe I will design the kit and market it to all you peeps.... I can be the next stillen, cattman, or WSP HAHAHAHA.........
Old 05-21-2001, 05:17 PM

There is a dealer that said they will install one for me, and finance ($150/mo) $5G total. Start at 8Psi and increase if I want. Methanol Used for intercooler. Same tubo brand that companies like Apexi recing use, can remember the brand.

I heard some stories, so I went to the dealer my self, and sure enough, they said turboing cars with no kits is what they do, as everyone and their mom has a kit for a honda he said.
Old 05-21-2001, 05:39 PM
Ford Only.

Do it czar you would get rich.I know I would be interested in a kit.VE POWER!
Old 05-21-2001, 06:20 PM
My 4DSC

Re: reply to My 4DSC

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
2) not necessarilary cost over 10k to reproduce. mine cost under 5k and thats with expensive Apexi electronics a $500 HKS unit.
[/B]
Your car is a 1995...that's why it's cheaper.
I'm talking about reproducing what JWT did...
That was a 2000 Maxima which they had to convert back to OBDI 1995 spec...utilizing a 1995 ECU....
To reproduce what exactly what they did would cost $10K...
I spoke to them at length about this...

But yes, you can probably turbo 4th gen max for $5K quite easily....and a 3rd gen probably much less...

Old 05-21-2001, 06:33 PM

Re: Re: reply to My 4DSC

Originally posted by My 4DSC

Your car is a 1995...that's why it's cheaper.
I'm talking about reproducing what JWT did...
That was a 2000 Maxima which they had to convert back to OBDI 1995 spec...utilizing a 1995 ECU....
To reproduce what exactly what they did would cost $10K...
I spoke to them at length about this...

But yes, you can probably turbo 4th gen max for $5K quite easily....and a 3rd gen probably much less...
Heh.. **** Jim Wolf. Buy the Link ECU for $1200, and be done with ODBII. $10k my ***. Maybe if it was made by McLaren or some ****..
Old 05-22-2001, 12:08 AM

There is a turbo 3rd gen on DPA... has Romero Racing Stickers on it (Romero is out of business though). Romero owned a company called AXZ that made a custom turbo for his maxima for $7,000 (complete ripoff). First of all, for 7G's you should get a sh**load of power out of it. His max didn't because my barely stock tuned 4th gen never fell behind his rear wheel well. And Hogan's 5th Gen took him. Two he paid the same price for the Jim Wolf Turbo... but the Jim Wolf put out more power. Somewhere I read that the reason why Jim Wolf doesn't sell its Maxima turbo kit is because it isn't 50 state smog legal or doesn't meet with certain EPA regulations. Either way it the Dyno in the magazine showed the Stillen Supercharger with 50 more HP than the JWT Turbo. Compare the two. $2K-$3K (SC) to $7K-$10K (TC). Also think about the extra power from the SC. I'd get the SC and have it tuned right by someone who knows what he's doing but don't beat on the car.
Old 05-22-2001, 12:37 AM

ummmm, my 95 is OBDII, i know there's been arguement on some 95's being OBDI but ive yet to see an OBDI 95 Maxima. According to many of my sources all 95+ Maximas are OBDII.
(i can see this becoming a OBD thread now)
Old 05-22-2001, 08:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have played around with the idea in my head just for fun. What if. Someone hooked up a gas powered leaf blower to their intake while the car was on the dyno. They bumped up the fuel pressure and let the car rip on the dyno. At 3K, turn on the leaf blower. Hahah. I wonder what kinda gains that would show. Just for fun.. =) Hehe..

ZuM

Originally posted by Chebosto
i bet $20 that there will be a production turbo kit out for a freaking Toyota Echo before there is a turbo kit out for the max by JWT.

i got your turbo right here....
somebody get me a leaf blower and i'll charge $400 for install. Who's WITH me!?!
Old 05-22-2001, 09:51 AM

ha ha ha ha ha
Old 05-22-2001, 10:16 AM
I'm needing a caw

The reason why JWT probably won't offer the turbo is simple. You have to understand for a given compression ratio, the VQ will only handle "X" amount of boost safely. Now Stillen already offers a supercharger that puts out decen power for $3500-$4000. It would be very hard for JWT to build a relible turbo system for that much. So they have probably looked at the potential # of buyers, the amount of realistic power it can make, how much customer *****ing they are gonna have to put up with when some owners blow their motors, their profit margin and concluded it's not worth the hassle.
Old 05-22-2001, 11:34 AM

i agree with Jeff92se on this one, looking at it from a company standpoint it wouldnt be worthwhile to develop it. Also, its MUCH easier to blow your motor with a turbo then blower. Someone might get greddy and get a boost controller up the boost to 20psi and KAABOOM. At least with the blower you have to change the pulley so therefore most people would know what their doing before doing it.
Old 05-22-2001, 04:17 PM

Why? Is it the added exhaust backpressure, the extra heat, or the simple fact that turbo cars can be monkeyed with by stupid people to produce outrageous levels of boost? I am curious b/c I am using 10:1 and hoping for detonation free 240-250 flywheel HP at 5.5 psi.
Old 05-22-2001, 04:30 PM
I'm needing a caw

Yes. It's becuase it's easy to turn up the boost, blow the motor and then turn it back down and ask for a warranty from whoever sold you the turbo. As long as your fuel is right, 5.5 psi should be okay. At least use a crude FPR. That's all the Stillen sc uses for for fuel.

Hey can you explain that single turbo exhaust again? I don't understand how you only have to use one tube unless you are only gonna use one cylinder back to run the turbo?

If so, just use the front back to run the turbo.

Why? Is it the added exhaust backpressure, the extra heat, or the simple fact that turbo cars can be monkeyed with by stupid people to produce outrageous levels of boost? I am curious b/c I am using 10:1 and hoping for detonation free 240-250 flywheel HP at 5.5 psi.
Old 05-22-2001, 06:34 PM

lol, I wanna try the leafblower idea

You could take off the long tipe on the end and just stick the one end in the airbox...find there the leaf blower intakes it's air from and run a pipe behind the bumper to it. lol, very tempting to try one day.

PJ
Old 05-22-2001, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se

Hey can you explain that single turbo exhaust again? I don't understand how you only have to use one tube unless you are only gonna use one cylinder back to run the turbo?

If so, just use the front back to run the turbo.
My setup involves two pipes, but the down pipe is very simple. The turbine side points right at the cat so I just run pipe from there to a flex to the cat. What I mean is the downpipe is straight and not bent.....

BTW wouldn't it be harmful for one bank to have mucho backpressure and the other side not? I would think that would be grounds for a quick engine failure due to the unevenness.
Old 05-22-2001, 08:18 PM
I'm needing a caw

Oh, I'm not worried about the exhaust side of the turbine outlet to the cat, I'm wondering about the inlet side. How are you going to feed the turbos the exhaust? A reverse Y like Mikey and I suggested? YOu gonna get it done down in Auburn? Their custom turbo tubing is like $800 or so. But it's quality work. Let me know when you get ready to do this.

My setup involves two pipes, but the down pipe is very simple. The turbine side points right at the cat so I just run pipe from there to a flex to the cat. What I mean is the downpipe is straight and not bent.....

BTW wouldn't it be harmful for one bank to have mucho backpressure and the other side not? I would think that would be grounds for a quick engine failure due to the unevenness.
Old 05-22-2001, 08:44 PM

Also, make sure to brace the turbo against the engine/tranny. Bracing it against the body might cause your mounts to crack when the engine is torqued(pressing the loud pedal). Also, make sure your exhaust studs are in good condition. The extra heat/stress/weight from all the stuff will crack them and then you'd have boost leaks. Make sure you use copper gaskets in between connections on the hot side of the turbo. The paper/rubber ones will burn right away. Try finding a progressive boost/fuel controller from an older Saab or something as well. It senses detonation and dials in more fuel/less boost.

PS: Jeff did you see Endyn's Civic on the Hot Rod MagazineŽ website?
Old 05-22-2001, 09:19 PM

Yup, went to Stan's headers in Auburn like you recommended and they think it should be no problem. They recommended aluminized though for the reverse y pipe and have gas butt welds. It seems contrary to everything I thought I knew about metal and welding, but he said that aluminized takes the heat better and the butt welds flow better and the gas welds that hold a butt weld together are thinner than a mig wire weld, which will help it to retain/dissipate heat at the same rate as the surrounding metal which will minimize cracking. I am basically just having them do the welding; I will get precut sections from JC Whitney and cut them to fit in a jig, clamp it in place and have them do the welding. Cheaper that way, cuz I wanted this to be relatively inexpensive.
Old 05-23-2001, 10:20 AM
I'm needing a caw

Whoa wait. You are gonna make a jig for the pipes? I've seen the JC ads for the tubing. Are you sure it's cheaper that way?? I assume for some of the bends, you gonna have to cut up alot of pieces to make even one compound bend.

Yup, went to Stan's headers in Auburn like you recommended and they think it should be no problem. They recommended aluminized though for the reverse y pipe and have gas butt welds. It seems contrary to everything I thought I knew about metal and welding, but he said that aluminized takes the heat better and the butt welds flow better and the gas welds that hold a butt weld together are thinner than a mig wire weld, which will help it to retain/dissipate heat at the same rate as the surrounding metal which will minimize cracking. I am basically just having them do the welding; I will get precut sections from JC Whitney and cut them to fit in a jig, clamp it in place and have them do the welding. Cheaper that way, cuz I wanted this to be relatively inexpensive.