General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

buying a car with a painted side?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 06:07 AM

buying a car with a painted side?

ok, what kind of a discount should i ask to buy a car with the whole right side & hood repainted? it has not been in any accidents (checked) but was keyed, so they got the side/hood repainted. the hood, however, is starting to show chip offs from the gravel, etc b/c of lesser quality paint. (how much is it to repaint it?). how likely is it that i will have to repaint it again? also, they said that the paint job cost $1500... does that sound about right?
asking price is $22.5 and the car is an '04 SE with all options except the sunroof with 22.5k miles.
ps the rear bumper is all scratched up b/c parking on the streets too.
thanks
Old 07-02-2005, 08:26 AM

I wouldn't worry much about the paint. Most cars that you see on the road have had paint/body repairs of some kind. I would think an 04 for $22.5 is kinda high seeing how the car is gonna be 2years old. Go on kbb and see what the trade in value of the car is and go from there. Add in the cost of repainting the rear bumper too. Say $400 to be safe
Old 07-02-2005, 08:40 AM
Banned

A keyed 2004! Oh the humanity!

My old car had its whole side keyed and repainted....it was always a slightly different shade after that, Id love to know who did it.
Otherwise it was still durable, check kbb and nada if you havent already. That car has pretty good mileage on it, mines at 36k
Old 07-03-2005, 05:49 AM

Good paint job start at around $2k. I'd pass.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:03 AM
Banned

Yeha personally Id pass too, ther will be many more 6th gens on dealer lots in the future, you dont wanna end up kicking yourself when you buy it then a better choice comes along.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Good paint job start at around $2k. I'd pass.
Yeah, good AND body work is an oxymoron. The reason is that no matter who you go to, it's a mass production situation. It's not like on American Chopper where the paint costs $7000/quart so they are very careful and diligent.

You can always see where a car is repainted when its perfectly cleaned. If you look at the reflection, the part where the repainting has taken place will have a more blurred reflection than the original, even though in most cases the color match is perfect. Call it a textural difference if you will. All the dealership needs is a rainstorm--when the water dries a potential customer will never be able to see the area that was repainted, short of a color mismatch.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
Yeah, good AND body work is an oxymoron. The reason is that no matter who you go to, it's a mass production situation. It's not like on American Chopper where the paint costs $7000/quart so they are very careful and diligent.

You can always see where a car is repainted when its perfectly cleaned. If you look at the reflection, the part where the repainting has taken place will have a more blurred reflection than the original, even though in most cases the color match is perfect. Call it a textural difference if you will. All the dealership needs is a rainstorm--when the water dries a potential customer will never be able to see the area that was repainted, short of a color mismatch.
Wow, there must not be very many good shops around your area! True, many shops are "mass production." But that doesn't necessarily affect the quality of work. Does the quality of food at Costco differ from the food at your mom and pops grocery store? Just becaue they push more volume out the door, does mean they push crappy jobs out the door. If you use a reputable shop, there are surely standard operating procedures, and quality control. At our shop, our head bodyman checks all of our techs bodywork before it moves to the paint dept. After the car is painted, It's inspected by our GM, before it gets re-assembled, cleaned, and buffed. True, not every job comes out 100% perfect every time, but that's a pretty bold statement to say that you can ALWAYS tell, and there's ALWAYS a difference in texture.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:07 AM
SuPeRmOd

Not sure you can get lesser quality paint than the oem. My 1 yr old has chips. easy fix, post #16: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=414318 and you get power

for real though, i would pass. about $7k more and you get a new one. plenty of other used ones should come around if you look.