General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I tested 0-60 with my SC I30 today!! {G-Tech}

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2001, 04:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My I30 finally is back and my new Clutch has been broken in so I decided to take a few 0-60MPH runs today with my G-Tech pro. I got the following times from 0-60mph, 6.22,6.10,6.05 and 5.44!! It took a few try's to get my Launch down with the new Clutch and all, the first 3 runs I was just pealing out most of the way, but on the last{5.44} run I took it real easy and made sure I did not peal out too much. BTW these #'s reflect my car with about 50 Lb's of stuff{Basketball, box etc.} and my spare tire and a full tank of gas. Later on tonight I will take out the stuff and spare tire and try a few more times, I am preatty sure I will see some 5.1-5.3 runs later on tonight.
Old 05-20-2001, 04:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nice runs can't wait till see your times tonight. Now you're making me wanna go out and get a SC. $4,000 hmmmm...if i don't buy coffee every morning I would save $1.60 and over 5 days times that by....
Old 05-20-2001, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by emax95
My I30 finally is back and my new Clutch has been broken in so I decided to take a few 0-60MPH runs today with my G-Tech pro. I got the following times from 0-60mph, 6.22,6.10,6.05 and 5.44!! It took a few try's to get my Launch down with the new Clutch and all, the first 3 runs I was just pealing out most of the way, but on the last{5.44} run I took it real easy and made sure I did not peal out too much. BTW these #'s reflect my car with about 50 Lb's of stuff{Basketball, box etc.} and my spare tire etc. Later on tonight I will take out the stuff and spare tire and try a few more times, I am preatty sure I will see some 5.1-5.3 runs later on tonight.
damn man, your car is fast as hell.
Old 05-20-2001, 04:42 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Yup,

Just don't blow it up on the highway again
Old 05-20-2001, 04:43 PM

Hey also if you can try to get some #'s for the 1/4 mile. I'm real curious as to what you're running. Thanks and keep us posted.
Old 05-20-2001, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by BottleFedMax
Hey also if you can try to get some #'s for the 1/4 mile. I'm real curious as to what you're running. Thanks and keep us posted.
Maybe tonight I will try the 1/4 mile, I am still real scared about doing a fast 3-4 shift after what happened a few weeks ago.
Old 05-20-2001, 04:51 PM

Maybe tonight I will try the 1/4 mile, I am still real scared about doing a fast 3-4 shift after what happened a few weeks ago.
I don't blame you it's gotta be scary. But try holding the shifter with your thumbs down with the pinky up sort of like a upside down grip if you would. That should help in keeping the shifter from going into 2nd because with the upside down grip your arms will be positioned to pull away from 2nd gear and into forth. Hope that makes sense..Good Luck!
Old 05-20-2001, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by BottleFedMax

I don't blame you it's gotta be scary. But try holding the shifter with your thumbs down with the pinky up sort of like a upside down grip if you would. That should help in keeping the shifter from going into 2nd because with the upside down grip your arms will be positioned to pull away from 2nd gear and into forth. Hope that makes sense..Good Luck!
Yep, thats what I usually do but I did it the wrong way when I busted my car, I think I actaully did it almost out of pure stupidaty becuase I have just about never done a fast 3-4 shift before, when ever I shift fast it's from 1-3 not 4-5, so I think what happened was I was actually aiming for 2nd becuase thats were I usually shift fast from up top{1 and 3}.
Old 05-20-2001, 05:21 PM

learn how to shift

Yep, thats what I usually do but I did it the wrong way when I busted my car, I think I actaully did it almost out of pure stupidaty becuase I have just about never done a fast 3-4 shift before, when ever I shift fast it's from 1-3 not 4-5, so I think what happened was I was actually aiming for 2nd becuase thats were I usually shift fast from up top{1 and 3}.
here's a really good website on this, www.turnfast.com, go here and they'll teach you how to shift corectly, steer corectly and downshift corectly.... and bunch of other good stuff

enjoy
Old 05-20-2001, 05:38 PM

My I30 finally is back and my new Clutch has been broken in so I decided to take a few 0-60MPH runs today with my G-Tech pro. I got the following times from 0-60mph, 6.22,6.10,6.05 and 5.44!! It took a few try's to get my Launch down with the new Clutch and all, the first 3 runs I was just pealing out most of the way, but on the last{5.44} run I took it real easy and made sure I did not peal out too much. BTW these #'s reflect my car with about 50 Lb's of stuff{Basketball, box etc.} and my spare tire and a full tank of gas. Later on tonight I will take out the stuff and spare tire and try a few more times, I am preatty sure I will see some 5.1-5.3 runs later on tonight.
Proud of you man, I once had a GTch Pro from a friend. But I couldn't get 0-60 working. How'd you do it? All I could do is 1/4.....

BTW, very nice time. Did you check horse power?
Old 05-20-2001, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by LoveSick

Proud of you man, I once had a GTch Pro from a friend. But I couldn't get 0-60 working. How'd you do it? All I could do is 1/4.....

BTW, very nice time. Did you check horse power?
Thanks, to do a 0-60 test you do the same thing as the 1/4 mile tests but just look at the # flash when you hit 60 MPH, it stayes there for a few seconds, and if you slow down to like under 30mph it keeps flashig your 0-60 time. As for the HP test I tried it and it said 244HP to the wheels, but it should be atleast 260-270 to the wheels.
Old 05-20-2001, 05:50 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Kinda OT, but...

anyone seen the new Blitz Power Meter(in car dyno)? I think it costs a little more than the G-tech, but after entering the weight properly it's readings were only .4 off of the actual Dynojet results. plus its got some other goodies including bargraph and line graph readouts(like a real Dynojet sheet), peak horsepower and the other usuals like 0-60 and 1/4th mile.....plus wouldn't it be more accurate since it's tapped directly into the speed sensor wires, etc. at the ECU? and hey its another cool gadget to add onto the ride!

Old 05-20-2001, 05:53 PM

Re: Kinda OT, but...

Originally posted by DA-MAX
anyone seen the new Blitz Power Meter(in car dyno)? I think it costs a little more than the G-tech, but after entering the weight properly it's readings were only .4 off of the actual Dynojet results. plus its got some other goodies including bargraph and line graph readouts(like a real Dynojet sheet), peak horsepower and the other usuals like 0-60 and 1/4th mile.....plus wouldn't it be more accurate since it's tapped directly into the speed sensor wires, etc. at the ECU? and hey its another cool gadget to add onto the ride!

That's wicked! Anyone know where to get it? Wheres the info?
Thanks!
Old 05-20-2001, 06:17 PM

Re: Re: Kinda OT, but...

Originally posted by LoveSick
That's wicked! Anyone know where to get it? Wheres the info?
Thanks!
$279 from www.mvpmotorsports.com, or $289.99 from www.turboimports.com.
Old 05-20-2001, 07:54 PM
nm

Re: Re: Re: Kinda OT, but...

Dumb question:
where do you get you car weight to enter into the GTECH?
The curb weight that is printed on my door says 4400 pounds(approximation) and there was a post a here where some peple had their cars weighed and came out weighing 3000-3300 pounds.
So which weight do you use the scale or curb weight?
Old 05-20-2001, 08:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Kinda OT, but...

Originally posted by nm
Dumb question:
The curb weight that is printed on my door says 4400 pounds(approximation) and there was a post a here where some peple had their cars weighed and came out weighing 3000-3300 pounds.
I know hom much my car ways from info from Infiniti, my car weighed in at 3151Lb's. I know a 95 Maxima SE weights 3018lb's{according to MT.

New Test results, I drove out to a huge straight away and decided to do one 1/4 mile run, I got a 14.25 @ 103.4 MPH. I got a bad launch as usual and had a 0-60 time around 6.1 on that run. Judging by my trap speed my car could easaly be in the low 13's with a good launch as specialy if I had some better tires{Mine are bald}. Anyways no more testing because I don't want anything to break on my car.
Old 05-20-2001, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by nm
Dumb question:
4400? I think that's in a different unit. Pound is always 3000 margin.

Tarheelmax: Thanks for the info!
Old 05-20-2001, 08:23 PM

It's good to hear its back together. You owe me a ride back to the parking lot.
Old 05-20-2001, 08:25 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kinda OT, but...

I know hom much my car ways from info from Infiniti, my car weighed in at 3151Lb's. I know a 95 Maxima SE weights 3018lb's{according to MT.

New Test results, I drove out to a huge straight away and decided to do one 1/4 mile run, I got a 14.25 @ 103.4 MPH. I got a bad launch as usual and had a 0-60 time around 6.1 on that run. Judging by my trap speed my car could easaly be in the low 13's with a good launch as specialy if I had some better tires{Mine are bald}. Anyways no more testing because I don't want anything to break on my car.
You need to take to the track so you can see what you are really doing. I don't trust G-Techs much because it says I'm running 14.3-14.4s@98mph.....consistently. Don't forget that trap speed is not the true "track" trap speed. The G-Tech will always read 2-5mph higher (depending on the power of your car) than a tracks timing equipment. Why? Because the track averages you mph over the last 60'.

Dave
Old 05-20-2001, 08:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kinda OT, but...

Originally posted by Dave B

You need to take to the track so you can see what you are really doing. I don't trust G-Techs much because it says I'm running 14.3-14.4s@98mph.....consistently. Don't forget that trap speed is not the true "track" trap speed. The G-Tech will always read 2-5mph higher (depending on the power of your car) than a tracks timing equipment. Why? Because the track averages you mph over the last 60'.

Dave
Thanks for the input Dave,

Yeah, my 95 max ran a 15.28@ the same spot and the trap speed was like 94.8? Or something like that. Anyways I know I could do a lot betterwith my I30 if I got a good launch and actually tried to shift quickly. I don't think I am going to bother going to the track becuase I decided that I wan't to take it real easy on my car from now on, this has got to last me . BTW Thanks for the input Dave.
Old 05-20-2001, 08:39 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kinda OT, but...

Thanks for the input Dave,

Yeah, my 95 max ran a 15.28@ the same spot and the trap speed was like 94.8? Or something like that. Anyways I know I could do a lot betterwith my I30 if I got a good launch and actually tried to shift quickly. I don't think I am going to bother going to the track becuase I decided that I wan't to take it real easy on my car from now on, this has got to last me . BTW Thanks for the input Dave.
Going to the track isn't that hard on your car if you know how to drive. Come on and go. You've invested WAY too much money no to do any real testing on your car. If you go to the track, baby it off the line and lift throttle shift. There's no point in speed shifting the 1-2 because you will just create more wheelspin than acceleration.

Dave
Old 05-20-2001, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by nm
Dumb question:
The weight on the door sticker is the absolute maximum weight the car is safely designed to carry around, including gas, passengers and luggage. NO Maxima weighs 4000 lbs. Your stock weight is about 2950 with a bare bones GXE, and runs to about 3150 for a GLE. (NOTE: These numbers are for the 4th Gens, the 5th Gens weigh about 150 lbs. more across the board).
Old 05-20-2001, 09:11 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

By chance do you know....

3rd gen GXE(VG) weight??

Originally posted by medicsonic
The weight on the door sticker is the absolute maximum weight the car is safely designed to carry around, including gas, passengers and luggage. NO Maxima weighs 4000 lbs. Your stock weight is about 2950 with a bare bones GXE, and runs to about 3150 for a GLE. (NOTE: These numbers are for the 4th Gens, the 5th Gens weigh about 150 lbs. more across the board).
Old 05-20-2001, 10:10 PM

I have weighed my car two times at this truck weigh station on the free way when it is closed. Somehow they leave the computers on so I just park on the scale and look in the window to see my weight. Both times it was with a full tank. The first time I had my car in racing trim, with no pass. seat or back seat, or anything in the trunk. I got 3140 w/o me. Second time I had all my junk in, speaker box, tools etc. and weighed 3320.....
Old 05-20-2001, 10:50 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Hmmmm.....

My Gtechs been all jacked up lately. I left it in the box for about 8 months, and just recently dusted it off. I tried it a few weeks ago, said the max was making 3-400 hp, and when the car shifted, it jumped up around 500. YES, I know how to use it, I was on a level surface and all, it's just jacked up. I did the 0-60, it stopped clocking at like 40mph and posted the speed, then started flashing waiting for me to do the 60-0. Too bad it's not under warrenty anymore.
Old 05-20-2001, 11:03 PM

Re: Hmmmm.....

Originally posted by mtrai760
My Gtechs been all jacked up lately. I left it in the box for about 8 months, and just recently dusted it off. I tried it a few weeks ago, said the max was making 3-400 hp, and when the car shifted, it jumped up around 500. YES, I know how to use it, I was on a level surface and all, it's just jacked up. I did the 0-60, it stopped clocking at like 40mph and posted the speed, then started flashing waiting for me to do the 60-0. Too bad it's not under warrenty anymore.
Thats sucks because with mine it hits 60mph at exactly the same time as my speedometer does.
Old 05-21-2001, 02:06 AM

Emax, love that photo of your car! Looking great! Where did you get that grill? Wonder if they have one for the 5th gen I30? Did you add the Infiniti logo to the grill?

I'm going to need to post some new photos of my tint job ans suspension mods, to see if mine looks half as cool as yours! I'd love to SC mine, but playing with the ideas of turbo or NOS now. Plus, I think I'm not going to buy anything from stillen from all the stories I've heard.

Like others have said, you MUST take it to the track now. No point in having all that stuff on the car if you want to drive like granny If you do, sell it to me and get a Camary!
Old 05-21-2001, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by TexMaximum
Emax, love that photo of your car! Looking great! Where did you get that grill? Wonder if they have one for the 5th gen I30? Did you add the Infiniti logo to the grill?

I'm going to need to post some new photos of my tint job ans suspension mods, to see if mine looks half as cool as yours! I'd love to SC mine, but playing with the ideas of turbo or NOS now. Plus, I think I'm not going to buy anything from stillen from all the stories I've heard.

Like others have said, you MUST take it to the track now. No point in having all that stuff on the car if you want to drive like granny If you do, sell it to me and get a Camary!
Haha, thanks dude, there are different grills for 5th gen I30's. I got my Grill{added the emblem} from SyCefiro who imported it from Japan.
Old 05-21-2001, 10:46 AM
Keven97SE

The weight shown on the door is GVW (gross vehicle weight). That is the max. recommended loading of the car...full passenger load, full fuel tank, etc. It's way more than the actual weight of the car unloaded. The weight listed by Nissan for 4th gens is like 3000 for a 5spd, 3100 for an auto, and for 5th gen about 150-200 more than the 4th gens. Roughly (within ~50 lbs or so).

Originally posted by nm
Dumb question:

Old 05-21-2001, 11:50 AM

Waaaay OT...

Originally posted by TexMaximum
Emax, love that photo of your car! Looking great! Where did you get that grill? Wonder if they have one for the 5th gen I30?
I'm not Emax, but there probably isn't an aftermarket grille for the 2nd gen I30s. However, the Infinitis look like they'll all be moving to horizontal grilles. The '02 Q45 has one and the '02(or is it '03?) I35 will too. The I35 grille looks like it should fit your I30 okay.

Oh, and Emax. You know your hp, tq, 0-60, 1/4, etc will improve if you get rid of that 50lb wheel/tire combo. It's still amazing that your car can pull a 5.4 with them on. Keep up the good work!
Old 05-21-2001, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by NickStam
Yup,

Just don't blow it up on the highway again

I thought it but didn't dare to say it
Old 05-21-2001, 02:50 PM
JC

Emax

Wed. nights N.E. Dragway street nights come on just a couple of passes. to see some real #'s.
Old 05-21-2001, 04:52 PM

Re: Emax

I'm curious how you launched it on that 5.4
did you slip the clutch for a bit, then drop it or slowly release it?
on the 3-4 shift, just put 2 or 3 fingers on the back of the shift **** and pull downwards towards you. Your thumb can be on the left side. This is a really safe method. Notice how no part of your hand is on the right side of the ****? so your shifter CANNOT go into 2nd.
I do this all the time cuz the Celica is getting a lot of attention due to all the driver misshifts from 3 to 2 (due the tight 6 spd gates)
Old 05-21-2001, 05:24 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

WOW

Those are some good times but i would have expected faster. The 5.44 is good but like you said 5.1 is where you should be, you should really go to the track. Give me a couple weeks to get my 300ZX TT 5-spd and we'll give it a go, but i think i might need to get the stillen chip, hehe. get some new tires too.
Old 05-21-2001, 11:10 PM

Re: Re: Emax

Originally posted by kit99bar
I'm curious how you launched it on that 5.4
did you slip the clutch for a bit, then drop it or slowly release it?
on the 3-4 shift, just put 2 or 3 fingers on the back of the shift **** and pull downwards towards you. Your thumb can be on the left side. This is a really safe method. Notice how no part of your hand is on the right side of the ****? so your shifter CANNOT go into 2nd.
I do this all the time cuz the Celica is getting a lot of attention due to all the driver misshifts from 3 to 2 (due the tight 6 spd gates)
Thanks for the info.
When I got my 5.44 time I played the clutch just right and launched so that I got a small amount of wheels spin and then just took it up to 35mph just gentley enough so I would not get wheel hop or do a huge burnout, then I did a nice smooth Shift into 2nd and just floored it and bamb 5.44! I usually get around 5.7-5.9 because it is really hard to get just the right launch down.

DMBMax, I was hopeing to get maybe a 5.1 but my car is really traction limeted, another words I have a lot more power to offer off the line but my tires just can't gripp the pavement well enough. I am possitive if I put some nice fat slicks on my car a 0-60 time of 5.1 would be easaly reached. Even with out the slicks I know I can do a little better becuase all my times were with a full tank of gas and my front windows down and some junk in my car.

When my gas take is almost empty I will give it a few more try's.
Old 05-22-2001, 06:03 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

sounds nice

You still should think about getting some new tires even if they aren't slicks you said the ones you have now are bald. You should run a 5.1 with new tires, not slicks and empty tank. Why do you always have the windows down? everytime you do a run your like i left the windows down, hehe. nice runs though.
Old 05-22-2001, 07:24 AM

Re: Re: Re: Emax

Thanks for the info.
When I got my 5.44 time I played the clutch just right and launched so that I got a small amount of wheels spin and then just took it up to 35mph just gentley enough so I would not get wheel hop or do a huge burnout, then I did a nice smooth Shift into 2nd and just floored it and bamb 5.44! I usually get around 5.7-5.9 because it is really hard to get just the right launch down.
damn man, that's crazy! You can't even gas it in first cuz you'll spin your tires! ahah I can't even imagine that much power!

Old 05-22-2001, 10:27 AM

Re: sounds nice

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
You still should think about getting some new tires even if they aren't slicks you said the ones you have now are bald. You should run a 5.1 with new tires, not slicks and empty tank. Why do you always have the windows down? everytime you do a run your like i left the windows down, hehe. nice runs though.
What can I say, I like the fresh air? LOL
It does not make that big a difference from 0-60.
Old 05-22-2001, 10:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Emax

Originally posted by kit99bar

damn man, that's crazy! You can't even gas it in first cuz you'll spin your tires! ahah I can't even imagine that much power!

Man, you have to ride in the car, its fast as hell.
Old 05-22-2001, 10:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Emax

Originally posted by deezo

Man, you have to ride in the car, its fast as hell.
Thankd Deezo, the car is a hole lot faster now with a Clutch that can actually control the power

Quick Reply: I tested 0-60 with my SC I30 today!! {G-Tech}