General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

4th to 5th Gen Intake Manifold Swap Information

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 02:01 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Yes.

Not sure...I'll have to look. You got a digital camera? I can give you pdf's on WHATEVER, but I need to know what exactly you're asking about. Pictures are worth a thousand words.
Maybe this is one of the power differences also, the lower intake manifold i just found is ported and polished alittle more than a 1/16 by nissan from the bottom in about a inch then it is the same diameter again. Looks like on the 2000 + they did this with a CNC machine.
I wish i had a camera my is broke, you probably couldnt see the hook up that well its back behind the TB. My other ? before is they never gave me one part to the upper manifold its if your standing working on the TB and look rite to your left whats suppose to go there?
Also that blue plug on top with the two hoses coming out is this needed for me?
Im just trying to clear off whats not needed for me.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Can *SOMEONE* host some PDFs for me?

Focking 50K limit is biting my azz.

One of the engineering tasks on the VQ30DE-K was to reduce the roughness of the air intake to reduce intake air restriction...that's why they used plastic. I'm sure they did other 'tricks' to help aide airflow.

Originally Posted by krismax
Maybe this is one of the power differences also, the lower intake manifold i just found is ported and polished alittle more than a 1/16 by nissan from the bottom in about a inch then it is the same diameter again. Looks like on the 2000 + they did this with a CNC machine.
I wish i had a camera my is broke, you probably couldnt see the hook up that well its back behind the TB. My other ? before is they never gave me one part to the upper manifold its if your standing working on the TB and look rite to your left whats suppose to go there?
Old 01-29-2004, 02:56 PM

My other ? before is they never gave me one part to the upper manifold its if your standing working on the TB and look rite to your left whats suppose to go there?
I *BELIEVE* you're asking about the VIAS control box, which contains the solenoid valve and swirl control valve control solenoid valve.

It's kind of hard to describe, but does it have FOUR bolt holes? Is the hole perpendicular to the runners? Is it going through the middle towards the passenger side?

Got email?

Old 01-29-2004, 03:52 PM
Father of the 00 VI

I *BELIEVE* you're asking about the VIAS control box, which contains the solenoid valve and swirl control valve control solenoid valve.

It's kind of hard to describe, but does it have FOUR bolt holes? Is the hole perpendicular to the runners? Is it going through the middle towards the passenger side?

Got email?
Yes there is four bolt holes on the TB side with nothing attached to it. This is the VIAS contral box ? Oh no iv'e got to get one now.
krismaxxx@aol.com

Iv'e been working on this stuff for hours , i took all the butterfly stuff out im going to TIG it at work tonight to close the holes up , do you think the ones on the inside need to be pluged to. And i took the 2000 fuel pressure regulater off because the yard damaged it . I think a 96 will fit should i go with that or put another 2000 on?
Old 01-30-2004, 11:58 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

[QUOTE=IceY2K1] It only gets UGLIER. Top end with the -K, ypipe, and intake *PULLS* to redline. NO NA 4th gen dyno, stock or modded I've seen except IronLungs' cam w/MEVI dyno comes close.

[QUOTE]

I can't find what I was looking for.

Maybe it does not exist. Or only in my mind. I "thought" there were 2 dyno's laid over each other, a 4th gen ( matt or cheston ) VS a 5th gen ( kev is who I thought ).

Showing the TQ of the 4th gen being higher than the 5th gen. This was with SC and no funny gas.

Again, I "recall" incorretly sometimes so PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

I am ONLY talking about TQ, not HP.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

[QUOTE=bags533][QUOTE=IceY2K1] It only gets UGLIER. Top end with the -K, ypipe, and intake *PULLS* to redline. NO NA 4th gen dyno, stock or modded I've seen except IronLungs' cam w/MEVI dyno comes close.

I can't find what I was looking for.

Maybe it does not exist. Or only in my mind. I "thought" there were 2 dyno's laid over each other, a 4th gen ( matt or cheston ) VS a 5th gen ( kev is who I thought ).

Showing the TQ of the 4th gen being higher than the 5th gen. This was with SC and no funny gas.

Again, I "recall" incorretly sometimes so PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

I am ONLY talking about TQ, not HP.
Didn't Stevtec do a comparison of the VQDE-K, VQ and VG?

Edit: Is this it? It's in the org "reading room"

https://maxima.org/shoptalk/sub_read...s/figure1b.gif
Old 01-30-2004, 01:29 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Didn't Stevtec do a comparison of the VQDE-K, VQ and VG?

Edit: Is this it? It's in the org "reading room"

https://maxima.org/shoptalk/sub_read...s/figure1b.gif

Yeah icy showed me that..

I am talked about SC'd dyno's.

For some reason I had it in my head that the 4th gen made more TQ, SC'd, than the 5th gen, SC'd. With similar mods. I even thought there was a graph with them overlaid.

Maybe I should start drinking..lol
Old 02-18-2004, 09:46 AM

Here is some info for you.

First the Calif version of the 5th gen has swirl control plates in the lower intake manifold and an additional solenoid on the upper intake to control the action of these plates.

If you do the swap I would expect you will have to swap both the upper and lower intake manifolds along with injectors and fuel rails.

The next problems will be the EGR, IDLE control are not the same and the throttle body may not bolt up. The 5th gen uses stepper motors for the EGR and Idle control (Idle control stepper motor is bolted to the bottom of the TB). The 4th gen has solenoids for the idle control on the side of the intake. The 5th gen has the idle control as part of the throttle body (and is a stepper so no you can't use the 5th gen throttle body with the 4th gen computer which controls soleniods). Also keep in mind the 5th gen upper intake is Plastic so modifying it to have different pickups etc to adapt to the 4th gen could be difficult. I'm not saying it can't be done. Just some things to be careful about.

If it were mine and you wanted to do it swap the intake, fuel rail computer and the whole bit or get the MEVI.

I have a 5th gen engine and also a '96 max so I have compared the intake systems quite a bit without unbolting stuff of the '96 max (wife doesn't like me taking her car appart for fun)

Anyone get the $35 upper intake manifold. I'm looking for one for some experiments.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:37 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Thaniel
Here is some info for you.

First the Calif version of the 5th gen has swirl control plates in the lower intake manifold and an additional solenoid on the upper intake to control the action of these plates.

If you do the swap I would expect you will have to swap both the upper and lower intake manifolds along with injectors and fuel rails.

The next problems will be the EGR, IDLE control are not the same and the throttle body may not bolt up. The 5th gen uses stepper motors for the EGR and Idle control (Idle control stepper motor is bolted to the bottom of the TB). The 4th gen has solenoids for the idle control on the side of the intake. The 5th gen has the idle control as part of the throttle body (and is a stepper so no you can't use the 5th gen throttle body with the 4th gen computer which controls soleniods). Also keep in mind the 5th gen upper intake is Plastic so modifying it to have different pickups etc to adapt to the 4th gen could be difficult. I'm not saying it can't be done. Just some things to be careful about.

If it were mine and you wanted to do it swap the intake, fuel rail computer and the whole bit or get the MEVI.

I have a 5th gen engine and also a '96 max so I have compared the intake systems quite a bit without unbolting stuff of the '96 max (wife doesn't like me taking her car appart for fun)

Anyone get the $35 upper intake manifold. I'm looking for one for some experiments.
Thanks for the info.
As far as the nissan dealerships told me all 2000-01 maxima intake manifolds are cali spec.
I aready have 2000 lower manifold with fuel rails and injectors.
The main thing is with doing this you have to use the 4th gen parts ,dont try to get 5th gen stuff to work. I built a adapter block that goes on the spot where the TB goes. The 4th gen IACV and TB hooks to it . In my case pathfinder TB.
Egr system stay with 4th gen just modifiy the egr pipe.
Now i have one ? you can help me with. The spot where the PCV valve goes in on the 2000 and 96 can you tell me if they are in the same location and point the same way. And if i can get the PCV valve hooked to my valve cover without the 2000 manifold getting in the way. I do know 2000 and 96 is the same PCV valve . thanks
Old 02-19-2004, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the info.
As far as the nissan dealerships told me all 2000-01 maxima intake manifolds are cali spec.
They gave you incorrect info. There are 2000 Fed specs out there with no swirl control components. I've seen one in person and also in repair manuals (mitchells for instance) but the upper intake is almost identical except for the swirl control soleniod is just not there. The lower is a bigger difference but it sounds like you already have that taken care of.

I aready have 2000 lower manifold with fuel rails and injectors.
The main thing is with doing this you have to use the 4th gen parts ,dont try to get 5th gen stuff to work. I built a adapter block that goes on the spot where the TB goes. The 4th gen IACV and TB hooks to it . In my case pathfinder TB.
Egr system stay with 4th gen just modifiy the egr pipe.
Now i have one ? you can help me with. The spot where the PCV valve goes in on the 2000 and 96 can you tell me if they are in the same location and point the same way. And if i can get the PCV valve hooked to my valve cover without the 2000 manifold getting in the way. I do know 2000 and 96 is the same PCV valve . thanks
Sounds like you are getting it figured out. Not a "bolt on" swap by any means. I'll try to remember to look at the PCV valve on both engines. I believe they are in exactly the same spot on both engines. Front cover, valve covers etc all appeared the same with just a quick look.

Hooking the IACV to the throttle body adapter is a good Idea.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Father of the 00 VI

They gave you incorrect info. There are 2000 Fed specs out there with no swirl control components. I've seen one in person and also in repair manuals (mitchells for instance) but the upper intake is almost identical except for the swirl control soleniod is just not there. The lower is a bigger difference but it sounds like you already have that taken care of.

Sounds like you are getting it figured out. Not a "bolt on" swap by any means. I'll try to remember to look at the PCV valve on both engines. I believe they are in exactly the same spot on both engines. Front cover, valve covers etc all appeared the same with just a quick look.

Hooking the IACV to the throttle body adapter is a good Idea.
Thanks if you can look and see if they point in the same direction and same location.

Yeah with the adapter plate its about 3 inches thick with a hole bored in the side for the IACV. I cut the mounting point off the 96 manifold and welded it to the side of the adapter block so now the IACV bolts rite on.

Cattman said he may be interested in selling this setup, but i think it would be to much money. Maybe just the adapter stuff?!
Old 02-20-2004, 06:22 AM

Thanks if you can look and see if they point in the same direction and same location.

Yeah with the adapter plate its about 3 inches thick with a hole bored in the side for the IACV. I cut the mounting point off the 96 manifold and welded it to the side of the adapter block so now the IACV bolts rite on.

Cattman said he may be interested in selling this setup, but i think it would be to much money. Maybe just the adapter stuff?!
I looked. wouldn't you know it it is different. The '96 pcv points directly out the valve cover where the 2000 comes of the back inside corner.

To get it to fit it looks like you will need to make a sharp '90 degree bend then attach the PVC valve. The valve still points the same direction (grey ring toward the valve cover). I took a pic of the 2000 max PVC valve location. I'll try and email it to you at Krismaxxx@aol.com.

How'd the filling in the holes where the swirl control rods whent go? I'm planning to do that on mine as I ended up with the "calif" spec engine but I managed to get a federal computer.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Father of the 00 VI

I looked. wouldn't you know it it is different. The '96 pcv points directly out the valve cover where the 2000 comes of the back inside corner.

To get it to fit it looks like you will need to make a sharp '90 degree bend then attach the PVC valve. The valve still points the same direction (grey ring toward the valve cover). I took a pic of the 2000 max PVC valve location. I'll try and email it to you at Krismaxxx@aol.com.

How'd the filling in the holes where the swirl control rods whent go? I'm planning to do that on mine as I ended up with the "calif" spec engine but I managed to get a federal computer.
Ok what I'm saying is the 2000 PCV location is coming out sideways the 96 is points straight up.
If i put the 2000 manifold on my 96 valve cover will the manifold clear the PCV valve and if so ,would there be room to hook the hose up.
If you could take a look for me that would be great. Just tell me what it looks like to you . Thanks

With closing up the holes on the lower manifold the holes were touched quickly with a tig to prevent warping and then i buffed the inside with scotch brite on a rotary tool. It still got warm though ,hopefully its fine.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:17 PM

Do you have any pictures of the work that you have done on this project? I don't know if I'm the only one but I'm interested in seeing what it looks like.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:28 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by gotmaxwiltravel
Do you have any pictures of the work that you have done on this project? I don't know if I'm the only one but I'm interested in seeing what it looks like.
I dont have pictures or a digital cam.
Nothing at this point to see. everything is going on the car in one shot. I'm getting everything ready now so theres no surprises ,just got my summit rpm switch in the mail yesterday.
but to give you a idea picture the 2000 lower manifold with rails and injectors on a 96 max with 2000 injector harnesses wired in . 2000 manifold bolted to that and the 96 sensors and such bolted to it with a 2001 pathfinder tb. the adapter block will be funneled after the tb like a velocity stack 70mm to 64-65mm going into the IM .
The holdup now is time and the block is not done yet .It would probably only take 2-3 hours nonstop to make the adapter but i can only do alittle at a time.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:43 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Well i just found out a pleasent surprise the 2000 Intake manifold TB mount hole is 64- 65 mm the 4th gen is 63-64 i never measured these until now.This is good becuse the 2000 manifold can now be opened to around 66-67mm. Which is almost as good as my 68-70 mm opening for my 96 IM.
I always thought they were the same diameter as the TB's 60mm ,im not sure if the 2000 tb is 60mm thou.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:29 AM

Are you just going to dremel the composite material to open it up?

Well i just found out a pleasent surprise the 2000 Intake manifold TB mount hole is 64- 65 mm the 4th gen is 63-64 i never measured these until now.This is good becuse the 2000 manifold can now be opened to around 66-67mm. Which is almost as good as my 68-70 mm opening for my 96 IM.
I always thought they were the same diameter as the TB's 60mm ,im not sure if the 2000 tb is 60mm thou.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:38 AM

Ok what I'm saying is the 2000 PCV location is coming out sideways the 96 is points straight up.
If i put the 2000 manifold on my 96 valve cover will the manifold clear the PCV valve and if so ,would there be room to hook the hose up.
If you could take a look for me that would be great. Just tell me what it looks like to you . Thanks

With closing up the holes on the lower manifold the holes were touched quickly with a tig to prevent warping and then i buffed the inside with scotch brite on a rotary tool. It still got warm though ,hopefully its fine.
I would say there is about 1" of space between the top of the valve cover and the bottom of the 2000 intake manifold. I'm not sure it will fit. You may want to put 90 degree piece of pipe and then the PCV valve.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Are you just going to dremel the composite material to open it up?
Yes I have light sanding drums. Im going to be very careful because there is a moat that holds like a rubber O ring gasket. At one point the hole is only 2 mm away from the gasket ,top part. Now from looking at it more I will take the 2mm all around so it will end up being 68-69 mm when its done. The part where the gasket wall is gone I'll just resin the gasket in place. This is great news because when i started this I thought my pathfinder TB would become obselete.

Thanks for the info Thaniel do you know the diameter of It . I measured the PCV valve diameter that plugs in and it looks like 1/2 inch or around 13mm. Thanks

Chris
Old 02-26-2004, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the info Thaniel do you know the diameter of It . I measured the PCV valve diameter that plugs in and it looks like 1/2 inch or around 13mm. Thanks

Chris
Sorry off hand I don't no the dimensions. I would think it would have to be the same as the end of the PCV valve.

On your porting of the intake....If I understand right you are using a Pathy TB with it and are enlarging the opening to match the pathy TB. I take it you are not using the metal plate that went between the maxima TB and the intake that directed air around the EGR input. I am not sure but I think that plate is to improve the flow through that area. Without the flow may not be as good.

By the way...I got my engine to start on monday. No exhaust at all, just the manifolds. What a sweet sound.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:22 AM

krismax - Did you find a VIAS control box yet?

If not, hit up BigDogJonx. He *MIGHT* have an extra he'd sell soon.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:14 PM
Father of the 00 VI

I think so I called a place and bought it but they never sent it. I called again they said they lost the work order.
So Im waiting looking at the mailbox.

I was going to buy one new but courtesy nissan said they dont sell that seperate . I would have to buy the entire manifold.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:19 PM

I had a feeling that's what Nissan would do. Hope mine never goes out.

Anyways, any progress on the TB adapter? Any ETA? This would be VERY interesting to see on a dyno.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:40 PM
Father of the 00 VI

I had a feeling that's what Nissan would do. Hope mine never goes out.

Anyways, any progress on the TB adapter? Any ETA? This would be VERY interesting to see on a dyno.
I finished making test blocks already, now I have a pattern that works. The block is not done yet, Im not in a hurry because there's other things I don't have yet VIAS,and my hoses fom hose techniqes. I did just get my summit RPM switch a couple days ago. But by the time i get those things the block should be done.
With my Pathfinder TB, I gained alot of topend power with the TB . I think with the faster flowing air in the 2000 manifold ,I think with the TB the top end will be nuts.

I have a ? ,tell me what you think . I wanted to dyno the JWT ecu first and then the VI But it wont be here for about 2-3 weeks . I may have the VI on before that. Would it matter what dynoes first?
Old 02-26-2004, 02:57 PM

Pretty sure we've seen JWT dynos with MEVI and USIM.

I think:
1)Your stock ECU with -K manifold
and
2)JWT ECU w/7000+rpm limiter with -K manifold

...would show NEW interesting data. Is that what you're thinking?

I have a ? ,tell me what you think . I wanted to dyno the JWT ecu first and then the VI But it wont be here for about 2-3 weeks . I may have the VI on before that. Would it matter what dynoes first?
Old 02-26-2004, 03:23 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Pretty sure we've seen JWT dynos with MEVI and USIM.

I think:
1)Your stock ECU with -K manifold
and
2)JWT ECU w/7000+rpm limiter with -K manifold

...would show NEW interesting data. Is that what you're thinking?
Ok sounds good I'll do the VI first.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:44 PM

Any chance you can get a baseline dyno right before you slap on the VI?

That would be gold.

Ok sounds good I'll do the VI first.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Any chance you can get a baseline dyno right before you slap on the VI?

That would be gold.
I just dynoed a few months ago.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:18 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

nice, im interested in what the results are, keep us posted in this thread!
Old 03-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Father of the 00 VI

I finally have the VIAS control box , I thought it would be more complex it has a Y/G wire and R/Y wire hooked to it . And above that the silver nipple thats where the vacumm hooks up? Also does your box have a caped off nipple to the far right? And do you know if thats used? thanks
Old 03-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Father of the 00 VI

One thing that worries me is the 2000 fuel rail has a dampner on it and my 96 doesnt . I took it off the 2000 rail it looks kind of like a stock fuel pressure regulator. What does it do and is it a must to have it . It looks as it just bolts on and needs a manifold vacumm source. thanks
Old 03-09-2004, 10:36 AM

I'll try and find some pics of the VIAS box or take some of mine tonight. I'll get back to you shortly on the wires from my ESM, hopefully they are the same for a 2001.

It's been discussed before(FI forum I think) that the 4th gens have a fuel filter upstream of the rail that acts like a dampener. However, the 5th gens. fuel filter is in the tank, so we needed a dampner added. So, I'd say you don't need it.

One thing that worries me is the 2000 fuel rail has a dampner on it and my 96 doesnt . I took it off the 2000 rail it looks kind of like a stock fuel pressure regulator. What does it do and is it a must to have it . It looks as it just bolts on and needs a manifold vacumm source. thanks
Old 03-09-2004, 10:40 AM

R/Y - 12V Ignition switch on or start.

Y/G - ECM, engine at idle = battery voltage, engine above 5000rpm = 0-1.0 Volts.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:40 PM

Ive always thought that 99's were cursed, i have a 99 with CA emissions... *i believe* the lower plenum for the intake runners on my car are activated via a vaccum... there is a mod i havent done it, where you cap one line and the butterfly stays open on the lower plenum... im pretty sure thats how it is, but i havent even had time to think about my maxima in quite some time... so please forgive me if i am mistaken..... i think Tony has done this... might wanna ask him
Old 03-09-2004, 04:41 PM

oops i thought it was only a one page thread... :Slap:
Old 03-09-2004, 05:58 PM

VIAS control box illustration (doesn't show the wires, but Ice took care of that)--

Old 03-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Father of the 00 VI

I'll try and find some pics of the VIAS box or take some of mine tonight. I'll get back to you shortly on the wires from my ESM, hopefully they are the same for a 2001.

It's been discussed before(FI forum I think) that the 4th gens have a fuel filter upstream of the rail that acts like a dampener. However, the 5th gens. fuel filter is in the tank, so we needed a dampner added. So, I'd say you don't need it.
Thanks for the help, In bigdogjonx pic engine rebuild it shows vacumm pics, his look different than the vias pic below. In the pic below there looks like three vacumm hoses going to the vias . One in the middle is for cali spec but to the right where a hose should be on the vias,there is a vacumm cap.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:13 PM

BigDogJonx were of a Fed spec, here are mine(Cali spec):
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/419735/10
Old 03-10-2004, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the help, In bigdogjonx pic engine rebuild it shows vacumm pics, his look different than the vias pic below. In the pic below there looks like three vacumm hoses going to the vias . One in the middle is for cali spec but to the right where a hose should be on the vias,there is a vacumm cap.
If I understand your question right the hose you are talking about is the one to the driver side of the swirl control solenoid (the brown solenoid). The vacume line attahces to the swirl control actuator for the swirl control plates which are in the lower intake. THat vacumme line and the brown soleniod are useless as you have ditched the swirl control plates.

The VIAS vacume paths are all internal to the intake manifold. The only opening for the VIAS is the air intake hose that was previously pointed out. I'd leave the brown solenoid in the housing as it taps into the same vacume path as the VIAS solenoid and iF it is removed it won't build vacume.

behind the cover was a rotating valve assy that was engaged when you put the VIAS and swirl control solenoid assy on? Just want to make sure you have all the parts.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:34 PM
Father of the 00 VI

If I understand your question right the hose you are talking about is the one to the driver side of the swirl control solenoid (the brown solenoid). The vacume line attahces to the swirl control actuator for the swirl control plates which are in the lower intake. THat vacumme line and the brown soleniod are useless as you have ditched the swirl control plates.

The VIAS vacume paths are all internal to the intake manifold. The only opening for the VIAS is the air intake hose that was previously pointed out. I'd leave the brown solenoid in the housing as it taps into the same vacume path as the VIAS solenoid and iF it is removed it won't build vacume.

behind the cover was a rotating valve assy that was engaged when you put the VIAS and swirl control solenoid assy on? Just want to make sure you have all the parts.
Where the purple is circled above , that spot does not exist on my control box. And if you look at the picture, on the far right not circled on the vias box. There is a third hose I dont have that either just a cap. I just have the vias fresh air nipple do I put vacumm to that?

How's the rx-7 project going?

Quick Reply: 4th to 5th Gen Intake Manifold Swap Information