General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

how do i?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 04:35 PM

how do i?

hey i have an 01 se i was just wondering how i could check if my cat is clogged?
Old 08-18-2005, 04:48 PM

Why would you bother?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:37 AM

wanna check if im losing power from it being clogged also looking into replacing it with a custommaxima cat or a straight pipe
Old 08-19-2005, 08:27 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by mensur724
wanna check if im losing power from it being clogged also looking into replacing it with a custommaxima cat or a straight pipe
unbolt it and check to see if the honeycomb material is still in tact. there are two bolts on each side. 14mm iirc.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by mensur724
hey i have an 01 se i was just wondering how i could check if my cat is clogged?
if its coughin up a hairball, then it's clogged...
j/king...but i don't think that you can "clog" a catalytic converter since if it fails, it'll just mean that your emission will be bad and your car will stink. you won't lose HP, better yet, without the honecombs, you'll prob gain power since it'll act like a test pipe....so you're prob losing HP because fo the knock sensor n not because of a clogged cat. itf it indeed is clogged, then you can easily blow up your car since there's not enough air flow for the amount of power you want...
Old 08-19-2005, 12:38 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
if its coughin up a hairball, then it's clogged...
j/king...but i don't think that you can "clog" a catalytic converter since if it fails, it'll just mean that your emission will be bad and your car will stink. you won't lose HP, better yet, without the honecombs, you'll prob gain power since it'll act like a test pipe....so you're prob losing HP because fo the knock sensor n not because of a clogged cat. itf it indeed is clogged, then you can easily blow up your car since there's not enough air flow for the amount of power you want...
it might act like a test pipe if all the comb breaks at once and flys out the muffler. but what typically happens is a portion breaks and becomes lodged restricing flow.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Use a temperature gun and see if there's a big difference in temp between the inlet and outlet of the cat.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:57 PM

u cud blow through the exhaust and put ur hand by ur intake and see if u feel air coming thru...

y wud u think its clogged???
Old 08-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by wikidminds
u cud blow through the exhaust and put ur hand by ur intake and see if u feel air coming thru...
WTH? Go go gadget arms?

I hope you are kidding. Even if you were Mr. Fantastic from the Fantastic 4 and had 100ft arms and had enough breath to blow blow blow a house down, I don't think your breath could make it from the exhaust tailpipe thru the exhaust manifold thru the motor thru the intake manifold and out thru your intake...
Old 08-20-2005, 11:20 AM

its worth a try