General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Comments on DSMs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2001, 01:28 AM

Hey does or has anyone here owned a turbo DSM (eclipse, talon, laser)? I am going to put a deposite on 91 Talon TSi AWD tomarrow. I have done my fair share of research and they appear to be great bang for the buck cars with excellent aftermarket support. Any comments, suggestions, gripes, or flames welcome...
Old 05-30-2001, 01:34 AM

AWD is always great, and they can be made very very fast, though I here reliablity is a major issue with DSMs.
Old 05-30-2001, 04:14 AM

Originally posted by TexMaximum
AWD is always great, and they can be made very very gast, though I here reliablity is a major issue wid DSMs.

Being that I owned one,yes,they can be made rather fast for very cheap.
On the reliability issue,make sure the tranny is ok.
Drive it cold and see if it grinds,esp 1-2 shifts.
Do a compression check.

And,yeah,rev it up to 5k RPM's and dump the clutch
Old 05-30-2001, 04:49 AM

Well, let's just say that they can be made to get from point A to point B a lot faster than your average Maxima. I was at the races at Dinwiddie, VA this weekend and saw a white stock looking Talon whipping up on a 300ZX.. Funny thing is that Talon was so quiet.. I think his best was in the low/mid 13's.. I didn't hear a BOV either..
Old 05-30-2001, 05:05 AM

Transmission eh?

I have heard from a few people the transmission is questionablly reliable which is VERY discouraging considering the bad transmission in the Max was the death of it.

I heard an intake, exhaust, and boost controller can run mid-low 14s which is believable since they should run 15 flat stock.
Old 05-30-2001, 05:18 AM

And be prepared for your share of electrical problems, especially the ECU. This wouldn't be in NY, would it? My uncle is showing his '91 Talon TSi today.
Old 05-30-2001, 12:11 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Get it!!!

my frined has the '95 GST, very quick little car for the the price he payed($8k) two years ago. the only problem is he knows barely anything about cars and is always calling me for advice. I always tell him to give me the car instead. but he recently got a boost controller(set at 13psi) and intake and his exhaust is on the way as well, so hopefully he will be looking at mid-low 14's! I always hear the issue of reliability on the DSMs but in 2 years he's seen no probs yet...
Old 05-30-2001, 12:43 PM

Trust me, they will come. My family has 2 Eclipses('92 GSX and '95 GST), two Galant VR-4s, a Talon TSi and a Galant GSR and they ALL have had problems with their electrical systems, and all of them have also had some part of their trannys replaced (the fact that most of them have aftemarket turbochargers may have something to do with that). I almost went back to Mitsu, but common sense and the VQ made me a MaxMan.